Brewer Fanatic

Luis Cruz wants to return to Brewers organization?

Invader3K

(Mods, I wasn't sure where this is appropriate to post, so feel free to move if needed).

I know a guy through Twitter who is a big Luis Cruz fan (I suspect they are related or something). Anyway, he just sent me this tweet:

"Luis Cruz wants to come back to the Milwaukee organization. Please talk to anyone who could help him get back in Milwaukee!"
So there you go Brewers fans. Let's get a viable shortstop option back in the organization. How that can be accomplished, I don't know. He asked me to get the word out, so that's what I'm doing.
Edit: In a followup, he says it was apparently the agent's idea for Cruz to go to a different team.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Haha, Luis Cruz is dumb for letting his agent make the wrong decision for him. Too late now buddy, sorry. Pretty sure Doug was positive that Cruz would accept an assignment to Nashville, because anyone smart would in his situation. Didn't turn out that way, and I doubt Doug gives him a second chance.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If we could get him back on the very cheap, sure, why not. But I doubt Texas would just give him away. He made his bed, now he has to sleep in it. His decision was just flat out stupid in the first place.

That said, this could probably be merged into the Yuni thread?

I think that the unusual nature of communicating this desire to return is the topic at hand.

Invader3K, do you know of anything that might be going on besides the tweet?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If I were Cruz and saw the likes of Erick Almonte beating me out for the final roster spot, I would've probably been upset and pursued another opportunity elsewhere myself.

To think Betancourt was ahead of me and to know the organization would give him every chance to succeed because they acquired him to be the starting SS, I probably would've thought my chances of playing were slim. Having said that, if I saw Yuni ahead of me on a depth chart, I'd like my chances of getting an opportunity at some point.

I don't fault Cruz at all for leaving.

"To think Betancourt was ahead of me and to know the organization would give him every chance to succeed because they acquired him to be the starting SS, I probably would've thought my chances of playing were slim.

And your odds of playing are better with Elvis Andrus in front of you on the depth chart? Cruz made a bad decision. His best chance to make a team and become a starter was with the Milwaukee Brewers, and he threw it away because he didn't think things through.

That said, the Brewers sure could use him as depth. I'd trade a bag of balls, maybe even two bags of balls to get him back.

In reality, I'd probably give up an extremely low-level prospect or some cash for him.

If I were Cruz and saw the likes of Erick Almonte beating me out for the final roster spot, I would've probably been upset and pursued another opportunity elsewhere myself.

To think Betancourt was ahead of me and to know the organization would give him every chance to succeed because they acquired him to be the starting SS, I probably would've thought my chances of playing were slim. Having said that, if I saw Yuni ahead of me on a depth chart, I'd like my chances of getting an opportunity at some point.

I don't fault Cruz at all for leaving.

When someone is a very fringe player like Cruz is, making important career decisions based on your pride being hurt over logical common sense based on the depth charts of the Brewers/Rangers was simply foolish.

Barring an injury to Elvis Andrus, Cruz pretty much had absolutely zero chance of ever being called up by the Rangers. While the Brewers were picking Betancourt over Cruz, Yuni is a vastly inferior player to Andrus, thus more opportunity for Cruz to potentially get a chance in the majors at some point. Yet, Cruz allowed feeling slighted overrule what was best for his chance to get in the majors.

You can choose to say that you don't blame him for leaving the Brewers organization, but good luck trying to make an argument that it wasn't a very stupid decision.

Aren't there rules against a signed player from talking to other teams? I know he isn't directly talking to the Brewers, but having friends publicly communicate to the Brewers about his wishes to be on this team is very close to the line. I know we'd be upset if a friend of Fielder was tweeting how much he wishes to play for the Sawx and hopes they trade for him.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Looks like the door hit Cruz in the ass pretty hard on the way out - If there is truth to any of this, I'm guessing the Rangers aren't going to be pleased with him............. maybe he'll be a FA again soon?

I didn't know he went to Texas. Really?

Is his agent a complete idiot? He had his client go to a team that has their SS position locked up for probably the next 15 years?

Maybe they were hoping Texas could do for him, what they did for Andrus? Course, Andrus wasn't in the minors for very long.

Wow. Some bad representation there. Time to fire your agent, kid.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wouldn't trade anything for him, but if he were suddenly DFA'ed, I might think about it.

Of course, given his comments in Winter ball and now with a contract with the Rangers, he is chirping about wanting to go back to the Brewers, there is no given that he would be a model citizen for the Brewers either. Especially if he is stuck at AAA for some time...

I don't get the "too late" comments. It's not like the team is awash with guys that can play a competent SS. If anything, we're awash with guys that can't play a competent SS at the major league level. If he wants to come back, he won't cost much.
This.

I'm pretty sure Doug values his job over his pride. At least I hope he does.

I don't get the "too late" comments. It's not like the team is awash with guys that can play a competent SS. If anything, we're awash with guys that can't play a competent SS at the major league level. If he wants to come back, he won't cost much.
This.

I'm pretty sure Doug values his job over his pride. At least I hope he does.

I don't think the Cruz issue will make or break Melvin's job either way. He's probably better than Counsell at this point, but his fate was sealed when Counsell was brought back. I'd have no problem in Cruz returning to the organization, but I wouldn't give up anything of value for him. I said too bad for him above, because everyone knew it was a foolish decision on his part at the time he made it. It would have been tough for him to swallow his pride and go back to Nashville again, but Texas didn't exact present him with a clear path to the bigs.

For what it's worth, Cruz didn't go to Texas because he thought he'd get playing time in the bigs there. They promised him the full-time job at Triple A, something the Brewers couldn't/wouldn't do with their desire to get Edwin Maysonet and Eric Farris time there.

The fact that Cruz wants out of Texas/Round Rock after just a couple months is pretty surprising, though. Not sure he'd get much more of an opportunity if he came back to the Milwaukee system, though, considering how "pleasantly surprised" the F.O. has been with Yuni, and it's not like Counsell is going anywhere as the utility guy.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I like Cruz as AAA depth, but that's all he is. He can't hit a lick, and no hit/good field SS's are a dime a dozen. To be one of the best of those guys is like being the best Caucasian dancer at the inner city club. If the Crew needs a Luis Cruz type, they'll locate one and trade someone with minimal talent to get him aboard. Counsell or Farris will have to play SS for a few days...hopefully, they won't make a pair of E's like Yuni had yesterday in one of the games.

Archived