Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera off waivers from Reds; Herrera optioned to AAA, Parra on 60-day DL

I think we've seen the last of Manny Parra in a Brewer uniform. He certainly won't be offered arby.

Don't ya think that's a tad premature?

It's May and we don't know what's going to come of his elbow discomfort.

Anyway, I see no reason we wouldn't bring him back on a minor league deal if he does in fact have TJ. Why not?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I still don't know why we made the move with him. Early speculation was that we'd be adding Dontrelle Willis to the 40 man to activate him for tonights start, but he's on the DL himself now so thats out.

• 4 months later...

Didn't want to start a new thread, but the JSOnline piece about Narveson's hip surgery also included some notes on Parra, Stetter, & Kintzler:

Also Tuesday, the Brewers announced a series of other moves:

Infielder Josh Wilson and right-handed reliever Mike DiFelice were sent outright to Class AAA Nashville; right-handed reliever Brandon Kintzler was reinstated from the 15-day DL; and left-handed relievers Manny Parra and Mitch Stetter were reinstated from the 60-day DL.

Kintzler went on the DL on May 13 and underwent surgery in late July to place a screw in his right forearm to correct a stress fracture.

Ash said Kintzler has been cleared to join the taxi squad of Peoria in the Arizona Fall League, meaning he will be able to pitch a few times a week.

Parra never pitched for the Brewers in 2011, going on the DL on March 26 with a back issue. Later in the season, he underwent surgery to remove a screw from a previous surgery in his pitching elbow.

Ash said Parra said he's doing "excellent," and that he should be ready for spring training.

"He says he's feeling good," Ash said.

Stetter went on the DL on May 17 and eventually underwent season-ending surgery for a torn labrum in his left hip.

Ash said Stetter is making "steady progress" and also should be ready for spring training.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

In answer to the question from May, the Reds needed a 40 man spot, so they took him off the 40 and sent him to AAA. Because he had to clear waivers, he was exposed to the Crew.

Odd that Narveson and Stetter both had hip issues. Must be the same reason LHP's cannot throw a ball straight.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Parra. He was paid $1.2MM this year, so if they have to offer him at least 80% in arby, he's due at least $960,000, although it's pretty uncommon for a player to get a paycut in arby, so I'd think he'd get at least $1.3MM or so. If he is indeed doing "excellent," and is at 100%, then maybe he's worth it, but that's a decent amount of money to risk on a middle reliever who's never been that good in his career and who is coming off a serious injury.

Good to hear Kintzler will pitch in the AFL. I expect him to play a big role in the 2012 'pen.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

What doesn't make sense to me is that DRH had an option remaining. Why didn't Cincy just send him to AAA?

After watching DRH pitch, I suspect that he was a trojan horse planted while Cincy still had hopes of winning the division.

Yes, it didn't take me long to see why he was freely available.

Good to hear Kintzler will pitch in the AFL. I expect him to play a big role in the 2012 'pen.
Kintzler looked good coming into this season, so I hope he can make it back & contribute. The Brewers will need guys like him to keep the bullpen affordable. Hopefully getting Parra, Stetter, & Kintzler back means the Brewers will get at least one more solid contributor in the '12 bullpen.

Kintzler looked good coming into this season, so I hope he can make it back & contribute. The Brewers will need guys like him to keep the bullpen affordable. Hopefully getting Parra, Stetter, & Kintzler back means the Brewers will get at least one more solid contributor in the '12 bullpen.

If those three are fully healthy by next ST, which Ash seems to think possible, then we may not need to spend as much extra on the bullpen as I thought. Axford is a given, and we have Loe, Estrada and de la Cruz back. With Parra, Stetter and Kintzler, and the possibilty of Braddock, we could realistically re-sign one vet (Saito, Hawkins or someone else) as the setup guy, and have a lot of options at middle / long reliever. The pen should be pretty well set... at least until we add another K-Rod at the deadline :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

DLC will only be back if he is kept on the 40 man this offseason, and remains up, as I assume he is option-less. He'd be a very popular minor league FA, might even garner a 40 man spot. Led the PCL in ERA, throws hard. Need about a dozen guys in the mix, and you need several to have options. Kintzler, Braddock, and McClendon do, so they'll be nice to utilize.

Agreed Al. I like de la Cruz as an option in the pen because of all you mentioned. Having an inexpensive live arm who can go more than one inning is a plus. Good point on the options. Not too long ago, we got stuck with a bullpen full of guys with no options (and Suppan in the rotation). It's nice to be able to send someone down when the bullpen needs a fresh arm. It is definitely good news to hear that these guys are probably going to be healthy for next season... I just hope Parra isn't too expensive.

~Bill Walsh

TooLiveBrew, I respect your moderational efficiency in bumping this thread rather than starting a new one, but for a second you made me think we claimed Herrera again. It wasn't a happy second. Please think about the delicate sensibilities of a family-friendly forum before you callously bump threads with scary titles.

Hah, I apologize. If I could have edited that into the title, I would have.

EDIT:

Axford is a given, and we have Loe, Estrada and de la Cruz back. With Parra, Stetter and Kintzler, and the possibilty of Braddock, we could realistically re-sign one vet (Saito, Hawkins or someone else) as the setup guy, and have a lot of options at middle / long reliever. The pen should be pretty well set... at least until we add another K-Rod at the deadline :-)

DLC didn't look like much more than just a dude to me in his MLB time this season. I think out of Parra/Kintzler/Braddock you'll see two make significant contributions to the '12 bullpen. Given the FA market, I wouldn't mind seeing them keep both Hawkins & Saito on one-yr. deals. Then you'd need four bullpen spots covered from a pool of Parra, Fiers, Kintzler, Braddock, Loe, Estrada, DLC. That's decent depth of comparable arms, but I hope the Brewers somehow uncover a new Robin to Axford's Batman from that bunch. I don't think Hawk & Saito can be counted on for injury-free seasons.

DLC didn't look like much more than just a dude to me in his MLB time this season.

I don't expect him to be "closer material," but he did pitch well in AAA, has decent "stuff," and can go multiple innings, so I think he could be a decent option for middle relief, especially if he has any options remaining.

~Bill Walsh

Archived