Brewer Fanatic

Think bullpen depth is important? Here's why...

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Just posted this on the minor league forum in our transaction thread there --

To make room for Michael Fiers in Nashville, RHP Justin James was placed on the Sounds' 7-day DL with an undisclosed injury. He last pitched in a two-inning stint on the 13th. MiLB.com indicates the move was official back to the 18th.

Since James is on the 40-man roster, Gord Ash should be less hesitant to provide injury information. We'll drop a note with Mr. McCalvy to inquire.

In what is assuredly a world record, there are now six relievers on the Brewers' 40-man roster on a disabled list of some sort -- Saito, Kintzler, Braddock, Parra, Stetter, James.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ironically, it's a good thing the Brewers farm system is down right now, so there aren't a lot of high-end prospects to protect on the 40-man.

The Brewers have 13 of the 40-man roster spots tied up in relievers right now, and six of them are hurt. The other seven are in Milwaukee.

If the Brewers needed another reliever today, there is none available already on the 40-man.

(Yes, Braddock could be back at any time you could see a spot freed up by DFA'ing Nieves or such, but it's still a pretty interesting and unique situation.)

Actually he has been transferred to the 15-day DL. It's an automatic move after the 7 days are up.
I think they stay on the 7-day DL for 14 days, after which they get transferred to the regular 15-day one.

Actually he has been transferred to the 15-day DL. It's an automatic move after the 7 days are up.
I think they stay on the 7-day DL for 14 days, after which they get transferred to the regular 15-day one.
Yeah, that's it. Either way, he's on the 15-day DL by now.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

With Rivera in MLB, I don't see Almonte returning to the Brewers given his production. I would think they'll DFA him and he'll accept, since he got some healthy paychecks from the Brewers.

With Rivera in MLB, I don't see Almonte returning to the Brewers given his production. I would think they'll DFA him and he'll accept, since he got some healthy paychecks from the Brewers.

The question is more is he healthy enough to come off the DL or are they going to have to move him to the 60 Day (and continue to pay him) if they need another 40 man spot.

Archived