Brewer Fanatic

The Muscle is available...D'Backs release Russell Branyan

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was afraid he would get released when I noticed he was stuck on 1 homer every time I checked his numbers (and his OPS+ kept declining). Hopefully someone picks him up, he hit 56 home runs over the past 2 seasons. He can help a team.

No they really haven't. Kotsay's defense has been horrendous and his offense has been around replacement level. When Morgan coems back as long as he hits the bench it won't be a problem. Boggs has been better than the disaster of Reed and Almonte.

But as to who Branyan would replace, the Brewers have 3 catchers for some unknown reason.

All in all though, I'd rather give Katin a shot since the bench could use some right handed hitters.

"If you care about Mat Gamel ever getting a shot, signing Branyan would be a bad thing."

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is the case. Do you think Branyan is going to hit so well that they'll resign him to be the starter next year, therefore cancelling out Gamel's chances?

Or are you referring to this year?

Kotsay has a -1 UZR and has been superb at the plate, good AB's, solid OBP. Branyan would be a nice power bat off the bench, but probably can't do anything but PH (other than play 1B, which is meaningless). I don't see a match.

"Kotsay has a -1 UZR"

As useless as this much UZR data is worth, his UZR/150 so far is -14.5, not -1. He's been worth exactly 0.0 WAR so far. Branyan is a better bat, Boggs is a better defensive player. There's literally no argument that works in Kotsay's favor at this point, except his "grittiness" or "veteran presence."

I know it's not going to happen, and Kotsay isn't going anywhere, but it would make the team better.

"Kotsay has a -1 UZR"

As useless as this much UZR data is worth, his UZR/150 so far is -14.5, not -1. He's been worth exactly 0.0 WAR so far. Branyan is a better bat, Boggs is a better defensive player. There's literally no argument that works in Kotsay's favor at this point, except his "grittiness" or "veteran presence."

I know it's not going to happen, and Kotsay isn't going anywhere, but it would make the team better.

It would probably cost more to sign Branyan than to keep Kotsay. Maybe.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived