Brewer Fanatic

Chris Carpenter to have Tommy John surgery

Quote:
his throws a pretty big wrench into St. Louis' plans to get better internally this year.

Or next year.

He'll be out until the all-star break at least. That makes the extension they gave him look even worse - That's why you don't extend guys with arm-trouble history two years early.

He has been on the DL for most of this year, its too bad that they didn't get a head start on the surgery. I'm sure they were hoping that he would be able to come back this year, but now he might miss some of next year. Its too bad for him and the cards but good I guess for the crew

That's really too bad, I always liked him. I wonder if this will force the Cards to be more active aquiring starting pitching over the winter.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would imagine the Cards will be shopping for pitchers this winter. There is no way they can compete with the Brewers and Cubs next year with the crap they have now.

Even if Carpenter came back at the All-Star break next, I don't think he would be very effective. Doesn't it take more than a year for a pitcher to get back to normal from this surgery?

The Cardinals were already done but this might finally make them realize it.

Yeah they had overachieved with who was out there, but somehow there was this thought that they would overachieve at the same rate when they got healthy. They were a .500 team at fully health and I really didnt see them making up ground. As for pitchers, Buehrle was supposedly a life long Cardinal fan, who was going to sign there, but now he is off. Zambrano is supposedly friends with Molina, I guess we will see, but there isnt a whole lot out there.

Isn't this the second Tommy John surgery for Carpenter? I seem to remember him having one in Toronto, which prompted him going on waivers to St. Louis...I could be wrong, though.

This definitely stinks for the Cards, though. It seems like everything has gone wrong for them this year after winning the World Series.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

One has to wonder if this won't spur a rebuild project in St Louis. They've got some work to do on that roster outside of Carpenter. Some old guys and some pretty ordinary players with one super star. It wouldn't surpise me if LaRussa wasn't back. He doesn't need to go through rebuilds at this stage of his career if he doesn't want to and I don't think he'd want to.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I agree. This my be the point where they pull the lynch pin. There is already speculation that Jocketty, being disappointed that he could not aquire players this year in to prepare for this something like this, may seek another team's GM post next year.

Doesn't it take more than a year for a pitcher to get back to normal from this surgery?

I seem to remember hearing that pitcher's usually aren't fully healthy / able to throw 100% until year two after the surgery.

If the Cardinals do have a fire sale, who would they have to sell? Pujols isn't going anywhere. Is there a possibility that Edmonds or Rolen gets traded?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote:
Zambrano is supposedly friends with Molina
I think he's better friends with $, though. But we'll see. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

This stinks for the Cards & their fans alike. 2007 has not been the year for them. I'd bet this means for certain that Walt Jocketty's phone will be getting a lot of calls. You'd have to imagine Chris Duncan could net them quite a bit at this point, and I'm sure some GM would buy that Scott Rolen's going to have a resurgence with a change of scenery.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived