Brewer Fanatic

San Francisco

SenatorShriv

My girlfriend and I heading to San Francisco for a couple of days next week. Any suggestions about what we should do while we're there? (Besides the All-Star Game http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif )

We'll be staying in the Financial District and pretty much limited to public transportation.

If you're going to San Francisco be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

People who've heard of Scott McKenzie know what I'm talking about.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm anti-Fisherman's Wharf, although you should get an In-N-Out while you're here with Animal-style fries (although I'm partial to Culver's myself).

There's not much in the Financial District (I work there, at Sansome and Sacramento), but you're close to a lot (North Beach, Chinatown, SoMa). Walk over to the Ferry Building by the Embarcadero in the morning and get some cheese and sourdugh for breakfast and watch the ferries coming in past Yerba Buena Island and the Bay Bridge, and then take the California cable car up to Chinatown and tool around a bit--it's pretty touristy but worth seeing. As for other stuff, try and take a walk over the Golden Gate Bridge, go out to Golden Gate Park (my neck of the woods--the Japanese Tea Garden, the Botanical Gardens, and the Park Chalet out by the Pacific are good places to while away a pleasant hour or two), Alcatraz is a great visit, maybe even try and head up to Twin Peaks--it's a fantastic view up there.

PM me if you want restaurant suggestions.

Bring a jacket--it's cold here now--and have a good time. There's a lot wrong with San Francisco--the Muni is terrible, it's very expensive here, and homelessness is rampant--but it's a really beautiful, great city with a lot going on.

Couple of things I did not see mentioned. A day up in Wine Country is great. We took a half day and walked around Stanford and Cal campuses. We also just took a day and drove down Hwy 1 along the coast line. Just gorgeous. All of the other things mentioned are really fun for us tourists, including the Wharf.

I lived in San Fran for a year so I've pretty much done it all. You'll have a good time pretty much no matter what you do, but it really depends on who you're going with and what you like to do. When I go back I like to:

--Catch a game at Telephone Company Park

--Visit Muir Woods -- (if you like nature you'll love it...it's a short trip, but if you like 300 foot tall trees that are older than Jesus, it's a must see.)

--Get some surfing in -- old habits never die. If you're up to try it, the best beginner spot is in Half-moon Bay, about a half hour south of the city.

--Golden gate park -- If you're up for a SF experience, walk the Haight and end up in GG park and make your way to Hippie hill. People just smoke weed out in the open and no one really cares. There's ALWAYS a drum circle.

--Chinatown is good because it makes me feel tall and the food is great.

--The financial district is lame, even lamer on weekends.

--If you've never been, hit the Wharf. Since everyone will ask you about it anyway, you might as well go.

--See Alcatraz. Buy tickets in advance or you won't get to see Alcatraz. Get tix from Blue & gold fleet. Be sure your trip goes ON the island, not around it.

That's all I got off the top of my head. Let me know if you have ?'s or want more info.

AG

Archived