Brewer Fanatic

The System's Outfielders

I know I am probably getting a little carried away because D'Vo has been hitting the snot out of the ball lately, but think about our Outfield "Problem". The Davis brothers, Komatsu, Richardson, and Gindl; not to mention Schafer (who I haven't added simply because he has been injured which I know it isn't really fair).

I am just wondering what others have to say about our outfield prospects.

I like them all. I think if things progress to plan, all of them will play in the majors.

It is amazing how little love Gindl is getting around here. He is hitting the ball really nice in AAA and he is really young still. Komatsu scoffed at the AA jump. That is a fantastic sign. Kentrail, for me, is Denard Span'ish with power potential. Khris Davis just hits. He is remarkably consistent. I'll stop believing in him once he gives me a reason to. I hope Logan gets hot out of the gate. Big year for him.

My fav though is D'Vo. The fact that he jumped to A+, and his numbers improve is a really good sign. Especially when the jump is into a pitchers league. He has dynamic talent. I picked him as my pre-season breakout MiLB Brewer, so I hope he can continue his success. Unlike Brent Brewer, D'Vo has done nothing but improve since the day the Brewers signed him. All he needs is experience. He should go one level at a time, making him ready around the time Hart's deal is up.

PS, I know I tend to be on the optimistic side of things with our baby brewers http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The outfielder situation will work itself out on it's own. Injuries typically is the biggest reason why movement happens. Remember, hot streaks don't last long, a great year comes from how short the slumps are. The big club love Gindl and Schafer, they'll get a shot. The others will get theirs in due time.

I am a huge fan of Schafer and Komatsu and I am convinced one of them will be the starting CF in Milwaukee next season. I am also very intrigued by Khris Davis. It's a shame he is limited to LF but he could also be an option at first base should Gamel not work out. I think eventually at least two of them are traded, probably for bullpen help. For now though it's just nice to see so many of them hitting well, especially in pitcher friendly BC. I'd love to see Khris Davis, Komatsu, and Schafer all bumped up a level soon too.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Gindl seems to be limited to a corner OF, but doesn't really have the power to be a special LF/RF talent. He will probably be a nice 4th OF or low end starter. He can handle CF on limited occasions (of course if Kotsay can start in CF at Petco....), but probably not a long term starter. Edit: Looking at his stats again, he probably would handle RF as well as Komatsu and in a similar fashion (high OBP, mediocre slugging, good defense).

Komatsu (Little Pine!!!!) needs to jump up to AAA. Now that Schafer is back, both should be starting in CF, so Komatsu should move up. I predicted a bump on offense for him from A+ last year, but I wasn't expecting this. Might be able start in RF in the MLB (his skill-set would be great on the team right now if he was ready - #2 hitter, good RF defense). But also could be special if he can handle CF (varying reports on his defense so far).

Kh Davis - I'm not too worried about him being locked into LF. Braun has the arm to play in RF (if he stays in the OF at all), so I don't see any problems there. Of course either one could also be at 1B, also. Got to love the RH bat that goes to Brevard and continues to crush the ball.

D'Vo - Love the improvements made. Not much else to add to what others have said.

Schafer - Hopefully he can stay healthy now. Komatsu has some questions about his CF defense, D'Vo is a boom or bust prospect. Schafer is probably the safe bet to be a quality offensive and defensive CF.

Ke Davis - I'm not sure what to think about him. Promoted to A+ and did poorly last year. Came back to A and hit well. Back in A+ and he is so-so. Similar to Gindl in that he can handle CF, but not a true CF. Has potential to hit well enough for LF/RF, but lagging behind the rest of the group right now.

I think this crop of outfield prospects is a pretty accurate microcosm of the system as a whole. Several solid talents, none that realistically projects to be special. But that's important for the Brewers, so they don't have to waste money on average big-league free agents.

I agree with CheezWizHead's assessment of the guys, for the most part. I think Schafer is the safest pick to 'make it', and it really shouldn't be too long before he's able to get comfortable & back to hitting. It must feel to him like he hasn't played baseball in 5 years at this point. Looking forward to him getting back on track. Gindl will be a nice asset as a cheap 4th OF type; I'm hoping for a poor man's Brian Giles here. I'd take a rich man's Brian Giles, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm encouraged by Komatsu's success, but I'm not optimistic he can stick in CF, and then he falls more into the role player or 4th OF category (unless he adds power). I will admit the only reason I'm not optimistic about him as a CF is that this is the Brewers organization, & I haven't heard any real positive reports about his defense yet.

Khris Davis is an nice hitting prospect, and could give the Brewers some flexibility with regards to Gamel & Hart a few seasons down the road if he can keep mashing. The power he's displayed & rave reviews his approach have earned so far at BC are nothing short of exciting. But, let's keep in mind it's still just A+, and he has a lot left to prove. Probably the highest-upside bat at this point of the group. Can he hit enough to be an option at 1B at some point? I hope so.

Kentrail Davis: I'm a little disappointed so far, I was really happy with him on draft day. It's early in the season still, but a 23-yo that hasn't shown much as a hitter yet at A+ is nearing 'cause for concern' stage. I do think he's going to hit his way to Huntsville this season, but another guy I don't really have confidence in to stick at CF beyond playing there in the 4th OF role. Can he hit enough to warrant a spot in RF? I hope so.

D'Vo: I think the most encouraging thing for him so far is the much, much better K rate. I'd like to see him develop into a better basestealer, but that's of secondary importance. He's an excellent athlete, & the only one in this group aside from Schafer that really can be an asset on defense in CF. This is certainly the highest-upside overall prospect in the group imo. ... Protip: if you want to search for him on Baseball-Reference, you have to search for "D' Vontrey Richardson", with a space btw. the apostrophe & V. Kind of annoying, but better than not being able to find him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member

I'm not a guru, so I'll just throw wild uneducated opinion out there:

One of these guys will become a major league regular for a couple of years, adding value slightly above replacement level and hold on as a 4th OF type for a couple more years. One of these guys will make a club as a 4th OF type for a couple years. One of these guys will have a cup of coffee in The Show. One of these guys will get hurt and never really recover, and two of these guys will wash out or hold on as AAAA players for a few years.

As far as who does what, I have no idea. I've never seen any of them play, and any opinion I have is solely based on the opinion of others from this site and a few blurbs from BA or other sites on the internet. Is there any reason to believe that these guys will be better than Brandon Boggs, Jeremy Reed, Chris Dickerson, Erick Almonte, Jason Bourgeois, Cole Gillespie, Darren Ford, Dave Krynzel, random waiver wire pickup?

I will say that it looks like Michael Brantley is turning into a player for Cleveland. I'll be happy if we can get Brady Clark level of production out of any of them, though.

Archived