Brewer Fanatic

Yay for giant kidney stones!

SquirrelMaster

My medical file must be able to circle the earth by now. Probably twice!

Anyways, I have to get a stent put in between my right kidney and my bladder, and then have a 8(!) mm stone broken up and removed. I was just wondering if anyone has had this done, and what kind of discomfort I am looking at. I need to brace myself!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My brother did. I think the discomfort came before it was diagnosed.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The stone right now is stuck between the kidney and bladder, but the pain is nowhere near as bad as what everyone is telling me. Pansies. Just worried about the discomfort of the stent, as I have a wedding to go to this weekend.

I had this exact thing happen to me. My stone was only 6 mm in diameter, but it wouldn't come out on it's own either.

The initial pain was the worst. First it was in my stomach, then in my back. However, after a couple of hours I wasn't in any more pain.

The next day I was in the hospital to have the stone removed, and when I woke up they told me that they couldn't get the stone out because of swelling in the urethra and that a stent was put in to keep the passage open. You shouldn't have any pain from the stent (at least I didn't) but most likely it will feel like you constantly have to go to the bathroom. The doctor had to prescribe me codeine to take away that "urgency." It was the only way I could make it through classes. Went back a week later, they got the stone out without any trouble but left the stent in for two more weeks.

Afterward, they gave me a lot of fluid to get rid of any blood clots in the urethra. Yes, the whole thing is as unpleasant as it sounds. Some were the size of a quarter.

If the stent is left in after the procedure, just wait until they take it out. For me, it was an out-patient thing and wasn't knocked out for it.

Ouch! I had a 5mm a few years ago but luckily it broke up. I had a softball game the next night after I went to the ER, didn't want to miss it cuz it was our last game. Took 2 oxycontins and played though the pain, hit 2 triples in that game. Afterwards went to the bar and had a couple pitchers of beer. The the smartest thing I've ever done but I actually believe it helped break the stone apart. My kidneys sure were working cuz I was going to the bathroom every hour of the night. Don't try what I did, I'm also lucky it didn't screw up my kidneys.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

holy crap.

the pressure and discomfort from the stent is insane. almost worse then having the stone! also, everytime I pee it is like peeing razor blades. ugh i have to have this thing in for a week? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

oxycodone is my only friend right now!

Archived