Brewer Fanatic

1/4 season done - how have the big trades worked out?

for me, the two big trades mark a shift in DM's philosophy. i think he's recognized the trouble it is to attract big-name FAs to the media black hole that is Milwaukee, or that he'd have to overpay to bring unknown players in here. now, we're suddenly serious contenders to extend one or both of Marcum and Greinke. i didn't see that Melvin just traded for two great pitchers, but that Marcum was already eager for an extension in Toronto and Greinke's mental makeup makes Milwaukee an ideal city. DM traded for two players who have a real good chance at sticking past their two years. they'll eventually get the money they deserve, but i think having a serious shot at extending at least one of them is worth at least an ok prospect in itself. nevermind that signing one of them if they were a FA would probably cost us a 1st rounder, anyway.

Grienke sure seems to be incredibly unlucky so far; I am confident his numbers by year end will be very good. His K:BB ratio is ridiculously good, his WHIP is solid at around 1.20 and his BABIP is just incredibly high. It seems anytime someone makes contact it goes for a hit somewhere.

Hopefully our other big pitching acquisition gets us to .500 today and a chance for a sweep on Sunday

Grienke sure seems to be incredibly unlucky so far; I am confident his numbers by year end will be very good. His K:BB ratio is ridiculously good, his WHIP is solid at around 1.20 and his BABIP is just incredibly high. It seems anytime someone makes contact it goes for a hit somewhere.
I have no doubt Greinke is going to finish this season with great numbers. He's been pitching too well not to. Some of the hits he's given up have just been unlucky and untimely so far.

As far as Marcum, I don't know anyone could reasonably expect he would be as good as he has so far. The debate on whether he should be extended or not is going to get very heated if he keeps it up.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived