Brewer Fanatic

When to take Bucci serious?

I think Nick Bucci is maybe the most under-rated, interest prospects in the Brewers system. He is off to a great start so far in 2011 and has been very productive in the past (walks are down thus far). The kid is 20 years old, in the top 10 in the FSL in most catagories, and has so far is throwing strikes, maybe his most glaring weakness. Hard to believe but he is actually the 4th youngest pitcher in all of the Brewers system (in order, Pierce 18, Johnson 19, Wawrasek 20; month younger) He is younger than Brooks Hall, all the pitchers drafted last year sitting in A ball, and more advanced than the guys close to his age.

He has a decent body frame at 6'2 190, regularly works in the 89-92 MPH range (guess can top out @ 93-94), mixing in a slow curveball that is a plus pitch at times. The changeup is still a developing pitch, but at times flashes average potential. But at 20 yrs old, 21 in July, there is still plenty of time to improve and develop that change up and gain more consistancy with his curveball.

His 68 walks really killed people off the bandwagon last year but if he stays where he is at (only 14 in 46IP OR 2.7 P/9) is it time to consider him a legit prospect?

Yeah I've noticed him this season too. If he can keep those walks down and maybe add a tick or two to the fastball he could turn out to be a very good prospect. He's one of those guys that we need to step up in order for the system to turn around again.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was paying attention to him last year, but as you said, his walks caused him problems as the season wore on. This year, it was nice to see his progress so far. I gave him the Class A+ Pitcher of the Month for April, over Heckathorn (of course, that and $10 will get you a Starbucks coffee - plain, black).

He isn't top 10 yet, but absolutely in the next 10.

He was on everyone's radar after his performance in Helena. His walk rate the early part of last season was bad enough it gave many people pause.

I haven't heard anything new on his velocity since the early part of last season, but I believe your stretching the upper end some.

He's a fringy prospect for me personally but the organization really likes him and we'll see how he progresses throughout the season. He's one of those guys who's going to have to succeed in AA before I get excited. Then again, I don't get excited about much anymore.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The velocities YoungGeezy referenced are correct. Bucci is working this year right around 90-92, touching 93 or 94. His curveball is decent to good, changeup has gotten to the point where it is no longer a liability pitch. He's mixing it in well.

The Brewers love him to pieces. He doesn't really have a single outstanding pitch, but he's doing an excellent job of keeping his stuff down this year. Not only down, but as it obvious by his lowered walk rate, down and in or around to the zone. The team thinks he has excellent mound moxie, and he's been called the hardest working pitcher in the system. Take those things for what you will.

I'm guessing that if you asked the Brewers, they would tell you he has the upside of a #2. I wouldn't buy that, but it's possible he could be a 3 or a strong 4, innings eater type pitcher.

I don't think he'll get promoted until late in the year, if at all, being that he's 20. Even if he keeps up this pace and keeps improving. No need to rush him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm guessing that if you asked the Brewers, they would tell you he has the upside of a #2. I wouldn't buy that, but it's possible he could be a 3 or a strong 4, innings eater type pitcher.

Wasn't it Reid Nichols who was comparing him to Odorizzi earlier this year (post trade, I believe)? I'd agree with And That, as I don't see him that high, but grouped with Ross and Heckathorn as 3-4 SPs.

Lot of mention of "if he can add some more ticks on fastball" which at the age of 20 is very possible as he matures and develops physically but I think where he is sitting right now is not to bad, I think it is his off-speed pitches that will dictate where he will end up in the rotation. A curve that "at times" is a plus pitch and a change up than "could be above average" really need to come together. If they do that 90-92 toping at 94 will be a lot more dangerous

I'd agree his offspeed pitches will dictate how good he becomes, but the important thing right now is that he's pounding the zone more and more. Look how control derailed Parra's campaign as a starter, and look how successful Marcum has been because he throws strikes. At 20, I think the hope now is that he continues to show his improved command as he moves up and continues to develop his breaking pitches. At the major league level, velocity helps, but plenty of guys have been successful pitchers doing everything else right but throwing hard.

Mid to back of the rotation guy sounds about right, but is still quite important, especially since we have 3 starting pitcher's contracts expiring after next season.

The times I saw Bucci, he was mostly 88-92. That's not bad, but the best thing I liked about him was that he was able to record strikeouts with his fastball, curveball and changeup. I think I saw him pitch three times last year, and while he got roughed up at times, all of the pieces were there for him to succeed. I'd love to get a report on him this year, as last year he pitched really, really fast, almost as though he had no patience. With his repertoire he could be very successful if he learns patience and the benefit of setting up batters to put them down. I'm happy to see the increased statistical success this year, and also know the Brewers fell in love with him two years ago, but also recognize that he's pitching in BC and the FSL.

Thanks Toby, I wasn't really speaking to say what he was this year, just what he was last year. If he is 90-92 consistently that could explain some of his increased effectiveness. And the changeup I saw last year was already a solid pitch, although I can't say if it was working for him all year.

Archived