Brewer Fanatic

Stetter to DL (hip), Rivera to Milwaukee, Sean Green DFA'd (Latest: Green accepts assignment)

Mass Haas

anything to take the bat out of Nieves hands, even if its only once a game
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Stetter to DL (hip), Mike Rivera to Milwaukee, Sean Green DFA'd to make room on 40-man

Being reported by the J-S, the Sounds, etc.

Hopefully a pre-cursor to saying goodbye to Wil Nieves at some point...

I wonder if that point is when Braddock is ready to come off the DL.....

Hopefully this means Nieves is gone when Braddock or Morgan or whoever is ready to come off the DL.
You have to think that the Brewers wouldn't add Rivera to the 40 man only to DFA him once someone comes off the DL. Although, they have made some head scratching roster moves so far this year, so I suppose it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Perhaps this means that they are starting to find some value in Boggs, and they want to keep him around, because they know if they outright him a 3rd time he's gone for good. Perhaps this also spells doom for Almonte once he comes off the DL. There's been little update on how he's responding from the concussion. Is there any chance they could place him on the 60 day DL?

Follow me on Twitter

Yeah, I think this is a good sign for Rivera. Have to think Nieves' job is in jeopardy here. I'm glad to see Rivera back. Also glad Green was DFA'd, and hopefully we never see him back. Overall though I'm not really sure what this move means. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Glad to see Mike Rivera back too. I hope he stays. He's been a great loyal Brewer since he was first signed as minor league FA back in 2005. He did a solid job after replacing Chad Moeller back in 06, then found himself back in AAA in 07 to make room for Johnny Estrada. Then after an off year at AAA in 07, he defied all odds in 08 to win the backup job, only to sit weeks at a time over the next year while Yost, always deferring to starting catchers (a job he never could get as a player himself) let Jason Kendall run the team, and in 09, he never was able to win over Macha.. Still, when called upon, he usually got his hits. Then for some inexplicable reason, Melvin decided he didn't want to reward him an extra $50K or so in arbitration so he released him. Later, Rivera essentially said he would have stayed for nearly the minimum to be a Brewer. To his credit Melvin brought him back perhaps showing a soft spot for his loyalty.

Since Rivera's better at every facet of the game than Nieves, and he has that "veteran presence" which Roenicke likes, I agree that this means Nieves' time in Milwaukee is limited. I hope he is replaced by another position player (Morgan), but I won't believe we'll go to a 12-man staff until I see it happen for longer than a few days.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yay Mike! Glad to see one of my favorite players back. Of course, somebody who has Green as one of their favorite players is probably sad right now, so now I feel a little guilty about being happy.

So now Braddock hopefully comes back soon to settle in as a lefty reliever who's more than a LOOGY, and Nieves will be the next to get his walking papers. Then Morgan comes off the DL and the tough decision of what reliever or outfielder goes.

...or when the time comes for a DH on the Brewer bench during interleague, Nieves says goodbye for good when Gamel could be recalled.

Yay Mike! Glad to see one of my favorite players back. Of course, somebody who has Green as one of their favorite players is probably sad right now, so now I feel a little guilty about being happy.

Was this supposed to be in a blue? The Green part...? I couldn't even say Green was my favorite player with a straight face.

I hope all of this ultimately winds up with Nieves never playing for the Brewers ever again.

Was this supposed to be in a blue? The Green part...? I couldn't even say Green was my favorite player with a straight face.

No. I agree that it seems a little unlikely that Green is anybody's favorite player but it would also seem unlikely that a 4th string catcher is anybody's favorite player, yet that is the case. So, you never know. Maybe some kid out there is named Sean Green and likes having his namesake on his favorite team. Or somebody went to Green's high school or met him at a minor league game or he helped them change a tire on the side of the road or whatever.

I guess theoretically, there probably are some people that have Green as their favorite player, but it's certainly only because of those things. Like they met him or whatever. It certainly can't be on performance.

Chances are most anyone who counts Sean Green among their favorite baseball players hasn't been overly happy about it lately anyway.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'll take the long shot that Rivera had a clause in his contract that he needed to be called up by June 1st or he could opt out of his contract and become a free agent. The Brewers kept three catchers on the roster earlier this season so it's not out of the realm. But with Lucroy healthy now they have a decent defensive catcher who will play 80% of games making Nieves (more) unnecessary, with Rivera catching one specific starter.

No. I agree that it seems a little unlikely that Green is anybody's favorite player but it would also seem unlikely that a 4th string catcher is anybody's favorite player, yet that is the case. So, you never know. Maybe some kid out there is named Sean Green and likes having his namesake on his favorite team. Or somebody went to Green's high school or met him at a minor league game or he helped them change a tire on the side of the road or whatever.

That poor kid was probably getting teased at school, leading him to ask his parents if he could legally change his name to Ryan Braun.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived