Brewer Fanatic

Former farm hands have a big Night

brewmann04

I'll still take the memories of CC and the 2008 season Over Brantley and LaPorta at this point of their career.
I agree with you especially in regards to LaPorta. But Brantley would look really nice in the Brewers line up right now. It's still a somewhat small sample, but in 135 AB's Brantley's line is .304/.383/.437/.820. He's got 4 HR, 18 RBI and has walked 17 times compared to his 15 K's. However, his current UZR is -1.9 and his current UZR/150 is -9.3. Compare that to Gomez current UZR of 7.3 and current UZR/150 of 35.9. So here's the question: would the additional runs scored with Brantley's bat and ability to get on base be negated by his defense? And whether it does or not, does Gomez currently bring more value to the Brewers with his putrid offense but elite defense?
Follow me on Twitter

I'll still take the memories of CC and the 2008 season Over Brantley and LaPorta at this point of their career.
I agree with you especially in regards to LaPorta. But Brantley would look really nice in the Brewers line up right now. It's still a somewhat small sample, but in 135 AB's Brantley's line is .304/.383/.437/.820. He's got 4 HR, 18 RBI and has walked 17 times compared to his 15 K's. However, his current UZR is -1.9 and his current UZR/150 is -9.3. Compare that to Gomez current UZR of 7.3 and current UZR/150 of 35.9. So here's the question: would the additional runs scored with Brantley's bat and ability to get on base be negated by his defense? And whether it does or not, does Gomez currently bring more value to the Brewers with his putrid offense but elite defense?
Brantley can be a corner OF'er in the AL because you have a DH who can provide the pop he does not, but he is not a CF. If he plays CF with Braun and Hart our outfield would be horrendous defensively. I like Brantley and thought he was great for us if he could play CF but if he becomes a corner guy he is not a huge loss. I am almost surprised he has 4 home runs. That is nice pop for him

I don't follow the minor leagues that closely, but I always associated Brantley with center field. However, I see that he only played 113 games in CF in the Brewers system as opposed to 203 in LF. So if the Brewers viewed him as a corner outfielder, it now makes much more sense in my mind why they included him in the Sabathia deal. By that point he would have already been blocked by Braun and Hart and the Brewers knew that Cain would be ready soon. But yeah, a Braun/Brantley/Hart OF would be horrific defensively.
Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brantley would look nice in a Brewer uniform, but as people point out, he is a bad CF. He was more of a LF, if I recall. A good left fielder, at least. I heard is arm is pretty weak - not well suited for RF. Just going by what I recall.

I have to say that I can handle Gomez - even with his crappy bat - because he's so good in CF. I just wish we could improve SS. Yuni isn't hitting, and while his fielding hasn't been terrible, it's not good - probably not even average.

Props to Brantley - I always liked him. If he could have played CF half-way decent, I would have really been bummed to have lost him.

Glad the trade is working out for the Indians. The best trades work out for both teams.

Archived