Brewer Fanatic

Mark Kotsay

Since RR seems intent on keeping Almonte for his defensive flexibility, once he comes back from the DL, Boggs, and his switch-hitting power off the bench, is the likely candidate to go to AAA or lost. Would there be any teams we could trade Kotsay to- even if it was just to take his guaranteed salary off our hands...which also seems to be the primary reason we've kept him this long. His .357 obp is respectable, at least, and has a history of good pinch hitting.

The currently have 13 pitchers on the roster. When Morgan returns, they'll drop a pitcher. Almonte will not make it back and really why should he? I think they are content having 6 outfielders and 5 infielders.

Kotsay is here for the duration unless they drop out of it and another team comes calling for a veteran waiver pick up in August.

I agree with the others that Almonte will be gone once he comes off the DL, and that Kotsay will be on the team all year, unless we're out of it and get an Edmonds-style trade at the end of the season, where Melvin feels he's doing the veteran player a favor by trading him to a contender.

Briggs, I'd like to believe that the Brewers would stop using the 13-man pitching staff, but I don't think it'll ever happen. They finally tried going with a "normal" roster for a few weeks this year, and quickly jumped back to the 13-man staff. Since we keep hearing is how taxed the bullpen is, I think Boggs will once again get sent packing when Morgan's back. One of these times Boggs will get claimed by a team in need of an OF. Of course, all of this may be moot if Loe's arm literally falls off from overuse while other bullpen members sit idly by.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The thirteen man staff is here to stay. I think it's rare that RRR ever uses less than five pitchers in a game, even when it appears to me he only needs to use 2-3 in many cases. It sure seems like 5-6 pitchers are used most games, even when our starters are pitching well.

I guess what i was trying to get at, was I like Boggs over Kotsay. Is it possible that any team would take Kotsay from us so that we can keep Boggs? If so, what would it take for Melvin to let him go?

Meilvin obviously liked Kotsay this offseason, as he gave him the contract. Kotsay currently has a .360 OBP, and has filled the role of reserve OF/LH bat off the bench better than I would have expected coming into the season, so I doubt anything has changed Melvin's mind.

I too would like to keep Boggs, and I think it's a possibility that he stays. I think Nieves is gone when Braddock comes back, so Boggs will be here a while. I think Almonte is gone when he's off the DL. The question will come when Morgan's ready... will Melvin / Roenicke keep Boggs or the 13th pitcher?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The thirteen man staff is here to stay. I think it's rare that RRR ever uses less than five pitchers in a game, even when it appears to me he only needs to use 2-3 in many cases. It sure seems like 5-6 pitchers are used most games, even when our starters are pitching well.

Dillard has been on the team a week and hasn't gotten into a game. This in a week where there were no off days and a 14 inning game. The 13th pitcher is not needed.

Dillard has been on the team a week and hasn't gotten into a game. This in a week where there were no off days and a 14 inning game. The 13th pitcher is not needed.
I concur. I would argue that the 12th pitcher isn't needed either, but that's an argument for another day.

Archived