Brewer Fanatic

Reds Hate vs. Cards Hate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I can't beleive what I'm reading on other Cards forums today. Cards sportswriters. They're all, to just about a man, suggesting that because Pujols had a hand injury this year, that up/in should be off limits on him

From now on, middle/away is all anyone's allowed to pitch to the Prince. Got it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For comparison's sake I got to thinking this morning about the Cardinals and how everyone hates them. I think it is fair to say that they are, without a doubt, the biggest rival for the Brewers, Reds and Cubs. This reminds me of the Packers and the rest of the NFC North and them being the Vikings, Bears and Lions biggest rival as well. The difference is the level of respect that the Packers garner from the other teams. Sure the other fans/teams hate the Packers, but there really isn't anything outwardly offensive about them. Maybe the other NFC North fans don't like Rodgers' Title Belt or Driver's shuffle, but that stuff is generally done out of fun or enjoyment of the game. Not only that, it is difficult to hate a team from a town of 100,000 people that is publicly owned when the Cowboys, Eagles or Redskins spend gobs and gobs of money and they haven't won a Super Bowl in almost 20 years. Certainly you hate the team because they win, but you respect them because they are well run, have fun and respect the game in a manner that isn't condescending.

Comparing that to the Cardinals. The Cubs are an historic rival for them so their is an obvious hatred. However, the Brewers and Reds rivalry seems completely based on these unwritten rules and their genuinely better than you attitude. It truly irks me as a fan of MLB in general that Pujols is placed on a pedestal and isn't drilled in his... the next AB after a HR. The man literally watches a HR until it lands...every..single..time. Braun does this today and he is drilled the next AB. However, if we were to do this to Pujols, we as "idiot fans" would receive Professor LaRussa's dissertation on Baseball Etiquette 050 (We aren't educated enough to understand Baseball Etiquette 101). I know this was discussed last night, but why would we ever hit Pujols on purpose with no outs and 2 guys on with a 1 run lead? To retaliate goes beyond the unwritten rules of baseball. It becomes dangerous when someone throws 97 on purpose anywhere at another player...TWICE!

This kind of stuff ruins baseball. I cannot imagine being a Cardinals fan with TLR at the helm. Would I trade their record for ours since TLR came to StL? Absolutely, but I don't think I would have as much fun rooting for the team. How much fun can it be to win but to lose the fun experience of winning as a fan? Had 2008 occurred under TLR there would have been no "Untuckem" or in 2011 no Tony Plush. Baseball is a game and its meant to be fun and full of personality. I'd much rather have our history and deal with the RR's of the world where I can have fun and truly get the full experience of fun as a fan of baseball.

This kind of stuff ruins baseball. I cannot imagine being a Cardinals fan with TLR at the helm. Would I trade their record for ours since TLR came to StL? Absolutely, but I don't think I would have as much fun rooting for the team. How much fun can it be to win but to lose the fun experience of winning as a fan? Had 2008 occurred under TLR there would have been no "Untuckem" or in 2011 no Tony Plush. Baseball is a game and its meant to be fun and full of personality. I'd much rather have our history and deal with the RR's of the world where I can have fun and truly get the full experience of fun as a fan of baseball.

For all the right things people are saying here, this is my nominee for "worth reading twice."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've always hated the Cardinals more than the Cubs. They just come off as sanctimonious d-bags. When the Cubs were in the playoffs a few years ago, I was happy for my Cub-loving friends (no matter how misguided they are). I wanted them to take out the Dodgers. Sure it was amusing when they got swept, but I would have been happy for them to have won. The Cardinals? Maybe if it was them against the Yankees in the playoffs - then I'd want them to win. But otherwise, it's anyone but LaRussa and his team.

There is, no doubt, some envy in my hatred of the Cards. I think LaRussa is a very good manager. The team is usually competitive, despite not having the highest of payrolls. But the whole attitude the team exudes makes you want to just hand them a big ole cup of 'get over yourselves'.

Brandon Phillips was right. Last year he said what so many people in baseball (especially Cincy, Milwaukee, Chicago) were thinking. I think it woke up a lot of people to the Cardinals attitude. So now, when LaRussa whines, it's not ignored by the press or fans. Instead they stop and think about it. They say, 'Hmmm, you know, Phillips is right. LaRussa is whining again.'

I think Phillips outburst against the Cards really has helped. I look at what's happened the last few days, and no one is defending LaRussa (at least outside of St. Louis). They are mocking him, or even downright slamming him, for his stupid comments.

I love it. And I still hate the Cards.

I think I hate the Cubs most. I have really begun to hate the Pirates this year, just due to the media attention they got. It's really the attitude of "that team deserves to win". No, they don't. If they are managed incompetently, they get what they deserve. The Cubs and their fans are the poster children of this mentality, so I hate them most. We have all been long-time fans of what was a perennial loser. And they lost because they were mostly run by buffoons for two decades. I didn't feel entitled when they started to turn it around.

Must be a location thing....being in SoCal must give me a different perspective than most because I can't find it in me to hate the Cubs. The Cards absolutely for all the reasons mentioned. They are the Vikings of MLB (for other Packer fans). But the Reds...man. I don't know if its Dusty Baker or that Johnny Cueto with his kicking antics in the Cards feud last season. I can't nail it down. But the Reds hating for me is becoming much more prevalent which is weird because I love Phillips (especially for his role in the StL brawl), Votto, Bruce and Stubbs as players.
Being a Reds fan......I've defended Dusty up until about midway through June of this season. That quickly turned as I saw him make more and more bonehead decisions. I quickly fell into the majority as far as how Reds fans feel about him. The general consensus is that we won last year in spite of him. I'm not one to quickly point the gun at the manager but I'm now at that point. Not just because of the type of season we're having. Just a LOT of his moves makes you scratch your head until a bald spot appears. As far as Cueto goes...he is a good kid for the most part and about the kicking "antics".....I would never condone ANYTHING like that in baseball unless you're pinned up against a wall and a net and a group of 40+ plus men are being pushed your way. I'm not so sure I wouldnt have done the same thing had it been me in that situation. Just my opinion of course. We all see things different ways however.

I hate the Reds in the sense that they've owned the Brewers the past couple years. Other than that I don't really have any problems. Sure, they have a couple players that annoy me, but what team doesn't? As far as I can tell none of their stars are outwardly jerk-ish, and there's no reason to hate Dusty as long as he's not managing your favorite team. I've never known Cincinnati fans to be obnoxious, so that's not an issue either.

St. Louis on the other hand fits the bill for all three. TLR, Molina/Carpenter/Pujols/scrappy middle infielders over-performing/sucky starting pitchers over-performing, and a decent portion of their fan base having the mightier-than-thou attitude. However, as much as I hate to admit it, I was at a Cardinals-Brewers series in August '09 and every single person we encountered was very friendly to us. Then again St. Louis had a huge lead on everyone in the division so I'm sure that helped. I'm curious as to what my experience would be like if I went to the next series there in Brewers gear.

Warning Track Power wrote:
For comparison's sake I got to thinking this morning about the Cardinals and how everyone hates them. I think it is fair to say that they are, without a doubt, the biggest rival for the Brewers, Reds and Cubs. This reminds me of the Packers and the rest of the NFC North and them being the Vikings, Bears and Lions biggest rival as well. The difference is the level of respect that the Packers garner from the other teams. Sure the other fans/teams hate the Packers, but there really isn't anything outwardly offensive about them. Maybe the other NFC North fans don't like Rodgers' Title Belt or Driver's shuffle, but that stuff is generally done out of fun or enjoyment of the game. Not only that, it is difficult to hate a team from a town of 100,000 people that is publicly owned when the Cowboys, Eagles or Redskins spend gobs and gobs of money and they haven't won a Super Bowl in almost 20 years. Certainly you hate the team because they win, but you respect them because they are well run, have fun and respect the game in a manner that isn't condescending.
1. The Packer franchise is the football equivalent of the Cardinal franchise.
2. There is a salary cap in football. The NFL East can't spend "gobs and gobs of money" on players, where it really matters.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Really? I can't see Cardinal Nation tolerating the Lambeau Leap (the actual leap, not the site...well, maybe also the site).
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Really? I can't see Cardinal Nation tolerating the Lambeau Leap (the actual leap, not the site...well, maybe also the site).
Maybe I'm wrong, but when I lived in Wisconsin and people met transplants from out-of-state, we didn't ridicule them for not abandoning their hometown allegiances for the Packers. Living in St. Louis for the last five years, people are beside themselves when they find out I'm still a Brewers fan. That's the difference. There's this expectation that you'll just fall in love with the Cardinal nation because they are the Cardinal nation.

They're more like the baseball equivalent of the Cowboys.

Maybe I'm wrong, but when I lived in Wisconsin and people met transplants from out-of-state, we didn't ridicule them for not abandoning their hometown allegiances for the Packers. Living in St. Louis for the last five years, people are beside themselves when they find out I'm still a Brewers fan. That's the difference. There's this expectation that you'll just fall in love with the Cardinal nation because they are the Cardinal nation.

I have always been ridiculed for not cheering the team on the other side of the state. Despite the fact that I've always lived closer to Chicago than Green Bay.

The Cowboys are more like the Yankees if MLB ever had full profit sharing and a salary cap.

You wouldn't think the Cards would tolerate throwing at people or watching home runs. But they do when it's their own team. The Packers can't stand excessive celebrations, except when they do the Leap or the Title Belt. The Packers tolerated and excused Farve for all of those years, just like the Cards tolerated McGuire all of those years. The Packers play football the "Correct Way".

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I have always been ridiculed for not cheering the team on the other side of the state. Despite the fact that I've always lived closer to Chicago than Green Bay.

The Cowboys are more like the Yankees if MLB ever had full profit sharing and a salary cap.

You wouldn't think the Cards would tolerate throwing at people or watching home runs. But they do when it's their own team. The Packers can't stand excessive celebrations, except when they do the Leap or the Title Belt. The Packers tolerated and excused Farve for all of those years, just like the Cards tolerated McGuire all of those years. The Packers play football the "Correct Way".

This is a Brewers forum and therefore, should probably stick to baseball. That being said, I don't see the Packers as "keepers of the game" like the Cardinals come off as. So maybe you should just stop with the Packer talk before you start to piss people off. And yes I'm being serious.

edit: And I mean piss off not because you are criticizing the Packers but because I think you are doing so unfairly. They are nothing close to the Cardinals (other than being a historic franchise) and I take offense to them even being mentioned in the same breath.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Yeah I don't get the Packers thing either; we have had our fair share of showboats over the years (Nick Barnett anyone) and I don't remember any specific instances where someone in the Packers organization went all LaRussa on someone (Maybe the Moss mooning incident?)

Geez Rawbecht, getting pretty serious. I'm sure Cardinals fans don't think they are the way other fans percieve them either. He gave his opinion on what was being discussed, it's not like he said something out of line.

By the way, I hate the Cards way worse than the Reds.

Archived