Brewer Fanatic

Reds Hate vs. Cards Hate

Verified Member
The thing that irritates me to no end is how St Louis always seems to win no matter what. Down 18-0 going into the bottom of the 9th? They'll find a way to score 19 runs. And I swear every time I look at their schedule I think "man can it get any easier?" It's like the play Houston and Chicago every friggin week! And everyone has to have a career year when they play for St. Louis. Kyle Lohse? Kyle McClellan? If these guys pitched for us their ERA would be somewhere around 7. God I hate St. Louis!

This is what I thought 5 years ago. However, it's gotten to the point where I think their coaching staff is hands down the best in the league. I've heard many stories about pitchers who want to play for Dave Duncan because he sees adjustments to their mechanics so quickly and easily. I think their scouting of opponents is outstanding as well, thus every pitcher knows how to attack every hitter on the opposition. When Braden Looper, Joel Pineiro, Kyle Lohse, Jeff Suppan, Jaime Garcia, Kyle McClellan etc. etc. etc. all have career years with the same team it is hard to just say "wow, I guess St. Louis is just lucky!" Berkman credited somebody on their staff to his turnaround as well.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must confess I really don't hate the Cubs. Two reasons--they are a joke of a franchise and I really don't pay them any mind, two--I have two great friends who are Cubs fans and they love the Brewers too, so they don't really upset me. I can't hate the Reds because I loved too many players on the Big Red Machine. Plus, you just know Dusty will tank them somehow, so I don't really fear them either. But I despise the Cards. So smug. Tony LaRussa, I could write a book about what a first class jerk he is. Once I saw him at a commeration (sic) ceremony and he was so drunk and so belligerent he made me want to puke.

LaRussa coming out to "argue" three times tonight kind of let me "see the light" about the Cards. I've always respected them as a team (except in '82, and '85 and '87 out of spite) due to good coaching. But tonight was fairly ridiculous. I understand the "standing up for your players" logic but TLR came out of the dugout not in a storming "what are you talking about, ya' blind ump?" kind of way, but rather a whiny "that's not fair" way.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Maybe off topic but I just wanna say I really hate the Houston Astros more than any team in the central. They are so boring. Perpetually bad. No hope for the future. No exciting prospects. I didn't even like Jeff bagwell for some reason. Houston, not great city from what I understand. Probably the last tram in MLB I would want to see when they come to town. I hate the Houston Astros.

LaRussa coming out to "argue" three times tonight kind of let me "see the light" about the Cards.

Just came here to post the same thing. I felt half-embarrassed just watching the guy. Dude broke out his trot to the ump every time a close call was made, and what does he think is gonna happen? I'm unsure what, after 5,000 games, he thinks he's going to get out of it. What's the probability that the ump says "shoot, sorry, you're right, he was safe"?

I'm wearing my DUI La Russa shirt today. I'm sure it will upset some classy people.

http://www.insomniacink.com/Shirt%20Pictures/bDUI.jpg
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Slightly off-topic, but why do CHC fans show up at series like STL-MIL in full cub gear? Are they specifically looking to pick fights? Are they proud of the fact that they detest both teams and both fanbases detest them?
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brandon Phillips is probably the most annoying player in baseball, he is a complete punk. Cueto and Gomes are pretty far up there with them, those three pretty much turn the Reds from a team I don't mind into one of the least pleasant teams in the league.
How so?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It might get him a call tonight or in a future game. At least I believe that is probably the thinking behind it.

I have NEVER understood the thought process here. There's a bang-bang play at first base. I just for the life of me can't believe that the ump is thinking "Hm......this giuy came out earlier and busted my chops about a close play, I'll call this one the other way to even it out".

A very good friend of mine is a college baseball ump (and no, this doesn't make me anymore qualified than anybody else here, just getting that up front right now), and he said the very first thing he was taught at ump school, and the point they really hammered home was 'make a call, make it quickly.' Basically, trust that what you saw with your eyes was the right thing.

I guess I'm just pointing out something already obvious......the umps make calls right away. You don't see umps thinking about the play after they see it, they're just calling it right away.

I turned on the Cardinals broadcast at the end of last nights game to hear a bit from the other side. And I turned it on at the perfect time to hear the TV team talk about how back in 08 and 09 the brewers were winning with no class and untucking, and didn't have the pitching. But now we have the pitching and we are winning with class, I guess. I see them as a whiny bunch and just looking for a reason to hate another team. Get over yourselves. When even the TV team is still talking about it, it is pretty pathetic.

CO -- I turned on the TV at what must have been exactly the same time. I couldn't believe it. Baseball TV broadcasters, as a rule, are semiliterate hacks who probably couldn't get another job, and the Cards' mouth-breathers are bad by the miserable standards of their profession. Where do they get off spewing this idiocy? Do they even know that the untucked shirts thing, which they bemoan as a lack of "class," was Mike Cameron's homage to his hardworking dad? Mike Cameron -- by consensus one of the classiest guys in baseball. The Cards broadcasters are your basic undeservedly rich twits who use their positions to tear down other people's ways of doing things, especially if those ways reflect the experience of actually having to work for a living. Words cannot describe how deeply I despise them.

Enjoying myself on gatewayredbirds.com

"Gomez has the IQ of a 4 year old.."

"Just about everything coming up Brewers in this series." - after the Gomez catch.

"The Brewers better be wearing the same jerseys tomorrow, otherwise we'll all know that they have disrespectfully untucked them." - after yesterday's game.

"The Brewers aren't going to play any better, but we could get a lot better. Lots and lots of season left." Uhh...Lance Berkman...

"I don't support Carpenter's recent (past year or twos') "competitive" attitude."

I turned on the Cardinals broadcast at the end of last nights game to hear a bit from the other side. And I turned it on at the perfect time to hear the TV team talk about how back in 08 and 09 the brewers were winning with no class and untucking, and didn't have the pitching. But now we have the pitching and we are winning with class, I guess. I see them as a whiny bunch and just looking for a reason to hate another team. Get over yourselves. When even the TV team is still talking about it, it is pretty pathetic.
The Cardinal broadcast team is reflective of it's fan base. They view themselves as the holier than thou franchise. Keep in mind this is the same franchise that looked the other way when Mark McGuire was juicing. Think in terms of the Cardinals being the OSU of the National League.

The reason they didn't like the Brewers untucking, was that in 07 and 08, the Brewers had the audacity to finish higher than the Cardinals. Apparently to them, those teams weren't worthy. But now, the Brewers are older, and more mature, and oh yeah, clearly superior. So they can now declare them as fit to hold the crown.

Slightly off-topic, but why do CHC fans show up at series like STL-MIL in full cub gear? Are they specifically looking to pick fights? Are they proud of the fact that they detest both teams and both fanbases detest them?

I don't see it as a big deal if they are just wearing a hat(i do this sometimes when i go to other stadiums), but full gear is just stupid. It just screams "Look at me! Pay attention to ME, I'm different!".

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

The broadcast team gets passed notes by LaRussa on the plane. They are his mouthpiece.

I can see that happening. I saw the interviews called, "Tony Talk" after the game...he's gruff, arrogant and completely intimidates the kids assigned to interview him. He answers his own questions when he doesn't like theirs and will complement them when they throw him a softball. Their media and most likely the fan base is reflective of LaRussa's personality which seems to dominate the organization.

• 1 month later...

Many of you have probably listened in to Chicago radio and heard Bruce Levine. Bruce has been covering baseball in Chicago for decades, is very well respected, and is on speaking terms with just about everyone in the game but not La Russa. He can't stand La Russa.

We all know what La Russa is. We just can't post the word. Colby Rasmus isn't the first player to cross swords with him and won't be the last.

They must have left some of the TLR quotes out for space issues in the print copy. Fixed it with the missing words in paranthesis.

"We win the right way and we lose the right way. We’ve received a lot of compliments over the years (from our own fans) that when we lose we tip our caps (and complain about the lighting and accuse the other teams of cheating) and when we win we keep our mouths shut. That’s my comment."

The Reds would beat us. A reason to not like playing them. But the Cards, they give us all sorts of reasons to hate them. The main reason I like the Reds more than the Cards:

http://www.daytondailynew...e_dissect_the_chris.html

One of the best things ever printed.

. . . except that it was on the internet. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I just hate cardinal fans. They try to justify everything that TLR did last night and called us the classless acts. At least Reds fans are more down to earth.

(I also like them cause they wanted us to win despite that hurting them in the standings)

Archived