Brewer Fanatic

Reds Hate vs. Cards Hate

The only thing I dislike about the Reds is their announcer, Thom. Other than that, they're fine. I'd much rather have the Reds win the Central than the Cardinals.

I like the Reds broadcast team of Brennaman and Chris Welsh. Brennaman's one of the best around and Welsh is always upbeat and personable. The Cardinal duo is like their team in general. It's very arrogant and condescending to their opponents.

Within the division I will always hate the Cubs first and foremost. Cards are a solid number 2.

My Brave hatred is personal though and goes back 45 years.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just curious as to where everyone is from that doesn't hate the Cubs. I don't see how someone can grow up in Wisconsin and not hate the Cubs.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

The Cubs are not good. I haven't been to a Cubs/Brewers game and had to contend with their fans much. I don't like the Cubs but hating a team that isn't good seems like a lot of effort.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Hating the Cubs has nothing to do with whether they are good or bad. I would hate them either way. Hating a team that is good is almost too easy. The Cubs hate mainly comes from their (mostly fan's) sense of entitlement. They think they deserve to win every year and are actually in denial of how bad they are. Every year is "their year" according to fans yet they never win anything. I've hated the Cubs before I ever went to a Cubs/Brewers game. I remember watching them on WGN growing up and couldn't stand them (though I did like Sandberg). It's not really a Chicago-hate thing either because I don't mind the White Sox (I actually liked them in the 90s) and I'm a Blackhawks fan. For me, the Cubs are my most hated franchise in all of sports.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

The Cubs are not good. I haven't been to a Cubs/Brewers game and had to contend with their fans much. I don't like the Cubs but hating a team that isn't good seems like a lot of effort.
When it's a team like the Cubs, no effort to hate them is required whatsoever - being transplanted down around Chicagoland has guaranteed me that. My experience down here has led me to think that the most annoying of the Bear fans are all Cub fans.

I will hate the Cardinals as long as LaRussa, Pujols, and Molina are part of that team.

I will hate the Astros as long as they continue to play home games in a stadium that allows for 275' homeruns to left field.

Hate is too strong a word toward the Reds - I would call it begrudging respect...I wish they hadn't owned us over the past few seasons, though.

I love the Pirates, because every May there's a story about how they've turned a corner - and right after that they go in the tank for two weeks and they're never heard from again. They're always good for a +8 in the win column for the Crew during their head-head matchups over the course of a season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't see how someone can grow up in Wisconsin and not hate the Cubs.

It also depends on your age. Once the Braves left town, a lot of people (esp in the South) switched to Cubs fans. Many didn't switch back when the Brewers came to town (or had one as an NL fav and the other as the AL fav). It really hasn't been that long since its been a real rivalry to build "hatred".

Having said that, I'm not in that older age group (I doubt many in that age are internet forum junkies). Here is how my rivalries pan out and the NFL equiv:

1) Vikings / Cardinals - Really don't like them or respect them. Arrogance and/or spite generally fills comments from players and coaches.

2) Bears / Cubs - Enjoy the Rivalry. Don't hate them.

3) Lions / Reds - Hate to lose to them (which amounts to the same as every team), but am ambivalent otherwise. Could possibly cheer for them in the playoffs if the Packers/Brewers are eliminated (not so with #1 and #2).

4) Pirates - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm just curious as to where everyone is from that doesn't hate the Cubs. I don't see how someone can grow up in Wisconsin and not hate the Cubs.
I was born in 1982 in Southern California to Wisconsin born parents. I spent every summer in Milwaukee until I was 15. Like the Bears, I could never really develop the animosity towards the Cubs, mainly because the team and their fans didn't really do anything to break my "fan heart." I mean starting around 1992, when I really started remembering things, the Bears nor the Cubs ever really affected the Packers or Brewers. Sure there are exceptions:

*The Bears 2001 season where the Bears fluked there way to 13-3

*The Nick Collins spitting incident in 2010

*The Cubs ridiculous 2008 season where we just couldn't get close enough

However, none of those incidents in my mind ratcheted up the hate. Not even the players on the team brought up any feelings of hate. Sammy Sosa was a clown, who eventually was exposed but he wasn't an arrogant jerk (from my standpoint) like Barry Bonds. I actually respect the way the Bears play too (save Jay Cutler).

The Vikings and Cardinals on the other hand have had no share of special players and situations to make me despise them. The Vikings had generally unlikeable players. Cris Carter with his constant whining. Randy Moss with his massive talent and miniscule heart. Daunte Culpepper and his "Get your roll on 'Pep." Jared Allen's stupid lasso (even though I like how he plays). The Williams Wall built on banned substances. The Whizinator. The Love Boat...that's just a small sample for the Vikings.

The Cardinals, as has been mentioned ad nauseum, with their arrogance and right way to play baseball mantra. I mean you talk about taking the fun out of baseball. To be upset about Mike Cameron's "untuckem" or any numerous unspoken rules of baseball violations teams have done against them. Last I checked they weren't the Cape Cod, Malibu or Miami Beach Cardinals. Tea and crumpets aren't served after reaching 1st base.

They act like they're white collar and really they're from St. Louis.

I guess I liked the 1990 World Title Reds team because I was just a year or two in to my introduction to baseball.

When I think of the Reds now I think of 5 Brewer homers in one inning, Chad Moeller hitting for the cycle, Bill hall's walk-off suicide squeeze in one of the biggest comebacks in franchise history after he hit a two run walk-off homer the night before. I really haven't been able to garnish that hate to Cub....or even Cardinal proportions.

I see it like this - I want the Brewers to beat the Reds soundly. I want them to beat the Cards 90-0, burning out all their pitchers and I want someone on the Brewers to hit a foul ball to TLR's nuts. I've been hating the Cardinals for almost 30 years, nothing else in the division comes close. The only team that comes close to this is the Yankees, and that is because their finances are screwing up the rest of the league.

Bill hall's walk-off suicide squeeze in one of the biggest comebacks in franchise history after he hit a two run walk-off homer the night before

Well, there is the solution to our can't-beat-the-Reds problem... we need Billy Hall back in at SS. And with a pink bat.

Joe Morgan was a Red. That ought to be enough for some on this board to hate them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Reds fan here. Its interesting to see this rivalry from the perspective of a non Reds fan. I tend to think the Reds aren't doing a lot to exacerbate it [though I suppose you can argue Phillips started it] while the Cards continue to find ways to string the animosity along. I enjoy a rivalry, I actually enjoy my team not liking the guys on the other side of the diamond, but complaining is just the bottom of the barrel in my opinion. Carpenter has a Masters degree in it, and LaRussa wrote the book on it.

What kind of experiences do you folks have when they come to town? Do they complain about the way the balls are rubbed up? Or the mound? Do your players have these same issues when you visit GABP?

...complaining is just the bottom of the barrel in my opinion. Carpenter has a Masters degree in it, and LaRussa wrote the book on it.
Welcome, Joseph. The part of your post I copied above reminded me that every time I see C. Carpenter losing on the out-of-town scoreboard, I now wonder what he's going to whine about this time.

1982 was the first year I followed baseball closely for a full season, so by October that year I was already not a fan of the Cardinals. About ten years ago I had a student employee who is a Cards fan and is (mostly) good about it. My favorite baseball day while he was working for me, though, was the day STL acquired Mike DeJean. I called him, got a busy signal, hung up to find he was calling me, and I just laughed into the phone for a minute.

Most teams I dislike only when they're playing the Brewers. STL, CHC and NYY are the only teams I dislike all the time:

NYY because of what I perceive (not necessarily fairly) as the uneven playing field tilted in their favor - though nowadays whenever I type sentences like that, I think of Principessa and am softened up a bit, just for her and TLB. Fans who love the Yankees the way we love the Brewers, I can respect.

CHC was fine with me until the 2003 season, when the Miller Park takeovers began to feel out of hand. There was a terrible (for Milwaukee) series in September 2003 where the Cubs rolled, their fans got super riled and I did not feel safe on my way out of Miller Park. I don't ever want to feel that way in my home ballpark again. It's more their fanbase, or the portion of the fanbase that invades MP, that gets to me, though plenty enough of their players get to me as well.

STL's sense of superiority turns me off - from some of their media types, some of their fanbase and some team personnel. If they were merely ruthlessly efficient baseball machines, year in and year out, that would only turn me off when they're playing the Brewers. If they were as much against Pujols watching his home runs as they are against any opponent doing the same, I could get behind that (not being a fan of that kind of grandstanding myself, including when Brewers display it). But "he's earned that right" is crap, and hypocritical to boot.

So I guess it's STL for me still, and CHC in second place. At present, CIN is only an issue for me when they're playing the Brewers.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

There is a saying my Reds fan brothers and I use in relation to Mr Carpenter, after the brawl last year when he and Scott Rolen got into it Carpenter stated to the media 'How am I going to explain this to my son?'. Now, naturally everytime he does anything we ask...."How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?" It doesn't matter what it is, losing a game, the national deficit, gas prices, LaRussa's hair, anything is fair game.

in an odd way, i am hoping that another team in the NL Central really starts to hate us more than any other team. i want to be #1 on another team's "can't stand" list. does anybody really hate the Pirates? no, because they stink. i want the Brewers to be recognized. maybe in part because nobody hates another team that they can beat consistently.

I don't know, we could go 23-0 vs the Cubs every year and I'd still hate them with a passion, I always have hated the Cubs because of WGN when we first got cable.

The Cubs are like the Vikings for me... My 2nd favorite team is whichever team is playing them.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

What kind of experiences do you folks have when they come to town? Do they complain about the way the balls are rubbed up? Or the mound? Do your players have these same issues when you visit GABP?
I don't think the Brewers have ever had any problems in GABP other than getting beat there.

As for the Cards...when Mike Cameron was here the Brewers untucked their shirts after every win, the Cardinals organization felt that was not classy and complained about it constantly. I remember them complaining about Braun watching his home runs (Billy Hall too) even though Pujols waits until his hit the ground and rolls to a complete stop before he begins his trot. I remember Carlos Villannueva striking out Pujols and pumping his fist, Baseball Jesus didn't appreciate that and complained about it. The Cardinals are fun sponges and sore losers.

The difference between the Brewers-Cards and your rivalry is the Cardinals really only complain about our players "antics" because they see our players as undeserving and cocky. Listening to their announcers only confirms this.

"How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?"

Welcome to BF.net, Joseph. I think I speak for everyone here when I say we are going to steal this line from you, big-time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Don't forget Ankiel complaining about the pitcher throwing breaking balls late in a game with a big lead. I can't remember who was beating them but the lead wasn't that big and I had never heard that unwritten rule. Sure enough LaRussa agreed with him. I asked a Cardinal fan friend about it and he stuck up for Ankiel and tried to convince me you can't throw breaking stuff late in a game with a decent lead.

Another great classy Carpenter move was last year yelling at an infielder for making him wait 30 seconds before throwing the first pitch of the game because he had to change gloves. Yeah Chris that was why you gave up a few runs in the first inning.

Sanctimonious hypocrits is the first thought when I think of the Cardinals.

I asked a Cardinal fan friend about it and he stuck for Ankiel and tried to convince me you can't throw breaking stuff late in a game with a decent lead.

Whenever the Cardinals are behind by more than 5 runs, every other team should bring out the batting tee and we revert to T-ball. That would be the classy thing to do. Or at least to let their BP coach go out and pitch to them.

It's funny that even when some of the Reds players went over the top with the Cardinals during their brawl my reaction was...good for them, the Cards are so annoying with their sanctimonious crap they deserve whatever they get.

With Chicago we already had a built in city v. city rivalry through other sports...we don't really have that with the other cities in the division. The Cubs were easy to hate when we got to the NL...they are all Bears fans too.

The Cards hate was truly earned from the ground up. Yeah there's the '82 series, but plenty of fans weren't even around for that. Their constant complaining and delusional hypocritical view of the world is just too much to take. They wrote the unwritten rules.

Archived