Brewer Fanatic

Where's Bernie Promotion

madgrad
I was watching the Brewers game over the weekend and caught the tail end of a commercial I thought said "Where's Bernie?" and referenced the Milwaukee Zoo on May 24th. I can't find any information about this event on the internet and was wondering if anyone had additional information. We were planning on going to the zoo soon, and I figure what better day to take my kids then on the day Bernie would be there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't go, but I gotta think there will be one at Rainbow Park in west allis. Harvey Kuehn Field is right there. Wish I could get there but stupid work can't wait for a lawn ornament.
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but this was a total fiasco. Everyone treated it like a Black Friday sale or something...camping out, driving around to multiple parks in the middle of the night. I heard reports from people who arrived at their park at 430am, only to see people driving away waving the last few Bernies. Ultimately, the clues were pretty meaningless. It was more about picking a county park to hang at all night. Oh well, I guess my sister doesn't get one. I thought they were pretty ugly myself. Best of luck to all the other BF.netters.

I heard reports from people who arrived at their park at 430am, only to see people driving away waving the last few Bernies.
Which is about what I expected. It's not like there's a main entrance to the park and a countdown and someone saying "ready set go." It doesn't seem as if they could stealthily place these things without somebody then scooping them up seconds later, whatever time it was. The whole 5AM start time seemed pretty suspect to me.

Even the lakefront was a fiasco, where they had 1000 lawn ornaments. I didn't find anything at Sherman, King, Madison, or Noyes Park, so then figured I'd go to the lakefront. Not only was the "disclosure" of the single location not at all specific, most of the people had already taken their Bernie's and left before the 7am designated time. I thought they'd be distributing them, but they were just placed all over the grass. The only enforcement for people not taking multiples was self-enforcement for anyone who actually hung around there as opposed to just taking their lawn ornament and leaving.

I should've known it would be a waste to get up at 4am...

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but this was a total fiasco. Everyone treated it like a Black Friday sale or something...camping out, driving around to multiple parks in the middle of the night. I heard reports from people who arrived at their park at 430am, only to see people driving away waving the last few Bernies. Ultimately, the clues were pretty meaningless. It was more about picking a county park to hang at all night. Oh well, I guess my sister doesn't get one. I thought they were pretty ugly myself. Best of luck to all the other BF.netters.
I had thought about getting up to try and figure out the Madison location, but the more I thought about it, I kinda figured something like this would happen. There are a few of them up on ebay right now and they're almost all in the $100 range so far. I guess I'm glad I talked myself out of it, otherwise I'd be pretty upset if I woke up that early for nothing.

I got up and got out to South Shore at about 5:30 with a friend. We each took a side and ran through the park but there wasn't anything. Apparently some lady got 8 of the 10 or so that were there. We were gonna go to Humboldt park, but figured if there was 1000 at the lake that was our best bet. We didn't care about the free tickets/prizes as much as just getting one anyway. So we went down there. Parking was a zoo but found a spot and then saw the crowd. My friend and I jogged over there and both managed to get one. The people down there were pretty friendly telling us the area that still had some available.

Wait a week or two and these things will come way down from that 75-100ish mark I'd imagine.

That lady with 27 was called out by name on 1250 WSSP.

There is currently one on eBay for $255! I hope the bidders realize this soon and tell the seller to go to hell.

This promotion had the potential to be awesome. It's too bad a few bastards ruin it for everyone.

I left Madison around 12:30 am to head to Frame Park in Waukesha and got as far as Lake Mills and could barely keep my eyes open so I turned around and headed home. My sister and dad showed up at frame park around 4:30 and couldn't find any. Then they saw the Brewers promo team walking on the other side of the park/across the river handing them out to whoever walked by.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

One of the guys I work with called the team store and they have roughly 100 to sell. People have been in line for hours for them already so he decided not to waste his time.

The Brewers generally have some really good ideas and marketing, but they manage to really not think things through 100% in my opinion. Had they just had "where's Bernie?" going on for a week or and left it a mystery without clues and dropped them all off at random parks with no hints, and then twittered saying "By the way, there's lawn ornaments scattered throughout the state at various parks" and left it at that I think that could've had a lot better potential. And could anyone honestly complain? It'd be a lot more random and people like that one lady couldn't manage to get 35 (not 27 as initially thought).

I'm stoked I got one, but whenever they do certain promotions it seems like there's 1000 happy people and 5,000 upset ones. But I'm sure had they made 5000 more, that lady would got 70

I had thought about getting up to try and figure out the Madison location, but the more I thought about it, I kinda figured something like this would happen. There are a few of them up on ebay right now and they're almost all in the $100 range so far. I guess I'm glad I talked myself out of it, otherwise I'd be pretty upset if I woke up that early for nothing.
I figured the Madison location would not be as overrun as any in Milwaukee, but being downtown (I'm guessing James Madison Park, based on the clue) at 5:00 AM on a day when we're headed to the ballpark at night seemed ill-advised. Plus just because Madison might be less overrun than Milwaukee doesn't mean it wouldn't be overrun.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all about how this turned out. I took a stroll through the park by my house before work, but came up empty. I've seen so many people hoard free Brewers stuff over the years I figured this was going to be a disaster. The intent came from a good place by the Brewers, but the failed logic was to expect everyone would play nice.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

These should have been cutouts or some kind of voucher that you could find and redeem with a photo ID at the park for one of the gnomes. At least some attempt to enforce the rule. I didn't try to get one and don't care to get one, but anyone who collects anything Brewers had to know this was going to happen.

I was lucky enough to get one but i agree it was a total mess. the one i got was even signed by T Plush! at least the people that were at the park where i was were nice about one per person, and most everyone was friendly.

I think we all figured this could happen, but the extent to which people cheated and stole their way to big numbers of them is really something else. Also, heard some reports of people getting there early and finding some, but being forced to wait til 5am. Seems things were very inconsistent around town. Great intentions, but a terrible execution by the Brewers. I think the 5am time was supposed to help, but all it really did was screw the rest of us harder, since we had to get up at 4am to see that people had cheated, or to find some lady taking garbage bags full of them for herself.

Archived