Brewer Fanatic

Harmon Killebrew in his final days [Latest: Dies May 17, Age 74]

Just read this on cbssports and was gonna post it. My grandfather, a dentist, fixed his teeth once in Milwaukee and began following him as a player and was a fan of his. While, I never saw him play but met him once. A very nice man. I wish him and his family the best in final days.

Harmon was scheduled to appear at an Eau Claire Baseball Hall of Fame event in February 2010, but got sick and had to cancel just a few days ahead of the appearance. He felt so bad about it that he didn't take his appearance fee and offered to come back in the summer on his own dime.

He's one of the game's classiest ambassadors. Prayers for him and his family.

He was truly a class act... At Twins spring training in Fort Myers last year he picked three young boys out of the crowd to come talk to him and Ron Gardenhire as the Twins were going through some basic drills. The interesting part was all the boys were about 10 years old; one with a Twins hat, one a Red Sox hat, and one a Brewer hat (my 9-year old son).

After briefly talking to the boys he autographed a ball for each of them, gave them each a brand new Twins hat and sent them on their way.

My son's second favorite team since that day is the Minnesota Twins.

RIP Harmon.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Really sad day for the Twins, and all of baseball. Got to 'meet' Harmon once (and when I say 'meet', I mean, I shook his hand, and said glad to meet you') but like everyone else has said, all I've ever heard was stories about what a nice, classy, stand up dude he was.

RIP Harmon.

I have a commemorative 500 HR plastic coffee cup that was handed out at a game in 1971. It has his picture on it and the date of each 100th home run and who was the pitcher.

Also a gentleman and one of my favorite players. My Dad was a huge fan of those Twins' team. I liked 'em too.

Isn't the MLB logo patterned after his profile? RIP, Mr. Killebrew.

I got to meet Killebrew briefly a few years ago. In 2008 I was putting together a 50th anniversary video for the parents of a friend of mine. His dad, whom I was very close to, was a huge baseball fan and we had spent many hours discussing the old greats of the game. I was in Cooperstown for the HOF Induction ceremony and decided to see if I could get a couple of the guys to say "Happy 50th Anniversary Bob and Donna" on video. I was nervous as heck to ask these legends, but I really wanted to include their greetings if possible to make the video more special. I did this by buying an autograph ticket and getting in line. Well, long story short, I got Killebrew, Feller, Doerr and "Shotgun" Skuba (my friend's dad grew up a Brooklyn fan) to all give personalized greetings and congratulations for the video. Each was more gracious than the next and Killebrew did a couple takes to get what he wanted to say out. Needless to say, my friend's dad was blown away by the greeting from his baseball heroes. He passed away suddenly five months later. And now Feller and Killebrew are gone also. RIP to all of them.

Archived