Brewer Fanatic

Who is Milwaukee's starting CF in 2012?

paul253
That would actually be a really good CF. Keep in mind that Morgan would be the big half of the platoon so Gomez' offense wouldn't drag it down much. Probably in the .330/.375/.705 range.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

How is Erik Komatsu's defense in CF? He has been an OBP machine last year at Brevard County(.413 OBP), and so far this year at Hunstville(.438 OBP).

If he keeps hitting, and is a good defensive CF, I could see him in Nashville for the second half of the season, and becoming our CF and top of the order hitter next season.

This is the question I'd most like answered. My vague recollection from the MiLB forum is that he's passable in CF, but not a plus out there.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Really, the good thing about our CF situation right now is that we actually have 2 guys waiting in the wings (Schafer and Komatsu). That is a lot better situation than what we have at other positions like SS. I would hope that one of Schafer and Komatsu pans out to be our CF of the future, but that remains to be seen. Until then, I think a Gomez/Morgan platoon is the best way to go.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Does Komatsu have a good enough arm for right field? What I'd like to see eventually is Schafer in CF and Komatsu in RF with Corey Hart being traded for prospects. I think Schafer and Komatsu could make an ideal top of the lineup with Weeks moving down to utilize his power a bit more.

The point is that Gomez is good for stretches but he still is not a good

hitter. He mixes in a few good games to make us think he is improving

but he is still a guy who just can't get on base with any regularity.

His 1.3 WAR this year so far is mostly with his glove. He isn't a

terrible player, just a terrible hitter.

I think the point is that I don't know where the good stretch three weeks ago came and went from. He's looked better recently. You dismissed that by claiming he'd looked good 3 weeks ago.

I'm certainly not saying he's out of the woods by any means, more likely than not, he'll continue to be the hitter he's been. But a chance in approach and at 25 years old, there is still clearly hope he'll keep it up.

And you can say the 1.3 is mostly for his glove. What difference does it make? He's making the team better right now.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Really, the good thing about our CF situation right now is that we actually have 2 guys waiting in the wings (Schafer and Komatsu). That is a lot better situation than what we have at other positions like SS. I would hope that one of Schafer and Komatsu pans out to be our CF of the future, but that remains to be seen. Until then, I think a Gomez/Morgan platoon is the best way to go.
It's similar to what we had with Lucroy and Salome. You don't expect both to make it, but having two obviously improves the chances we'll get one solid big leaguer out of the mix.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It's similar to what we had with Lucroy and Salome. You don't expect both to make it, but having two obviously improves the chances we'll get one solid big leaguer out of the mix.
Yep, for sure. Hopefully one of the two turns into a solid CF for us.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Do either of these guys project to have at least some pop in the future? If they are relying on ba/obp, they aren't exactly off the charts good for their age/level. I'm not that thrilled about either guy to be perfectly honest.
So you want someone that plays great defense, has a decent AVE, has a high OBP, and good SLG in CF? No problem... those guys are everywhere... there's umm... Grady Sizemore circa 2008...and Torii Hunter circa 2002... and there's Andruw Jones circa 2000 or 2005... I think you get my point... the next prospect to realistically have a shot at being that kind of player is Mike Trout and he's out of reach. Lo Cain has the potential to be a very good CF, but he's not in that class, and he's not an option anymore. Everyone else that has pop in CF is a pretty bad defensive player.

Beyond young Mr. Trout who has the potential to be the next great CF, maybe we'd better set our sights a little bit lower considering our payroll and what's actually available to us. While Gomez has the tools to be special, he's been appromimately the same player since 2008, I'm not sold he'll ever be anything more than he already is. His stats are essentially a flat line, how do we realistically project him to become a better player? We don't have a 5 tool CF prospect in the system nor do we possess the means to acquire one, Richardson is probably our most toolsy/athletic CF prospect (I don't see him hitting for power) though he's incredibly raw and he has plenty of Gomez in him when he's running the bases.

In the near future if it's not Gomez or Morgan, then I don't see how it's not Schafer or Komatsu.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

So you want someone that plays great defense, has a decent AVE, has a high OBP, and good SLG in CF?

Unless I'm missing something, he didn't say anything about great defense, just asked about their bats.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The point is that Gomez is good for stretches but he still is not a good

hitter. He mixes in a few good games to make us think he is improving

but he is still a guy who just can't get on base with any regularity.

His 1.3 WAR this year so far is mostly with his glove. He isn't a

terrible player, just a terrible hitter.

I think the point is that I don't know where the good stretch three weeks ago came and went from. He's looked better recently. You dismissed that by claiming he'd looked good 3 weeks ago.

I'm certainly not saying he's out of the woods by any means, more likely than not, he'll continue to be the hitter he's been. But a chance in approach and at 25 years old, there is still clearly hope he'll keep it up.

And you can say the 1.3 is mostly for his glove. What difference does it make? He's making the team better right now.

One positive at the plate which shouldn't be ignored is that while Gomez's approach still isn't that sound, he drew his 12th walk today over 137 at bats so far this year. He now actually close to that 1 walk per 10 at bats ratio that most deem as pretty acceptable for a hitter. He's taken 6 walks in 37 at bats this month. Obviously is very questionable as to if he will continue doing this, but he's taking walks at a higher rate this year than at any point in his career. What's amazing though is how he hits for near the same batting average every season, between about .230-.250, give or take a few percentage points. So even if he keeps drawing walks at this somewhat improved pace, he'll only get a more acceptable OBP is he can get his BA at at least .260 or above.

I don't get too excited about Gomez drawing a walk anymore or stringing together a couple multi-hit games, because I think we've seen enough of him to know that he'll make up for such streak by losing his approach and stringing together a couple bad offensive games.

I'm to the point where I think Gomez just is who he is. He's a fast baserunner who will always be lousy at hitting and getting on base. But his elite defense in CF is enough to sort of even things out and at least make him a servicable starter in CF.

Exactly. Gomez is a terrible fit in the #2 hole. He (along with Betancourt) are the worst in the lineup in regards to OBP. Plus, with Braun and Fielder following him, his speed advantage is somewhat lessened by the desire not to run as much with two sluggers following him. It doesn't make sense to me at all to keep forcing him in the #2 hole when his advantages are clearly in the field and in a lineup he belongs near the bottom of the card.

I don't understand why Roenicke won't at least try Lucroy in the #2 hole. He's a low-strikeout guy, which you want in the #2 hole, and he carried a very good OBP at every level in the minors and has so far this year as well. His power stroke for the #2 hole isn't great, but it's adequate. As far as I can tell, he's as good of a fit for a #2 hitter as we have.

Hart is the other one I'd consider, if he can start showing that last season wasn't a fluke. For now, I'd just go 1) Weeks 2) Lucroy 3) Braun 4) Fielder 5) McGehee 6) Hart 7) Betancourt 8) Gomez.

I don't get too excited about Gomez drawing a walk anymore or stringing together a couple multi-hit games, because I think we've seen enough of him to know that he'll make up for such streak by losing his approach and stringing together a couple bad offensive games.

I'm to the point where I think Gomez just is who he is. He's a fast baserunner who will always be lousy at hitting and getting on base. But his elite defense in CF is enough to sort of even things out and at least make him a servicable starter in CF.

My gut feeling is that come the end of the year, Gomez will easily have finished with the highest walk rate of his career and that won't be the main reason for a sub-standard OBP, his low batting average will be the main culprit.

What i question more is if there is any hope that he can ever raise his batting average to the point it can reach the .260 area at least? Maybe hit more ground balls that he in turn can leg out into hits?

Gomez should be our CF in 2012. Him or a platoon between him and Morgan. Anything else just doesn't make sense.

Gomez is such BEAST in the field. Every time I watch him play, all I can think about is "Man, if he could only post a .350 OBP." He'd be so valuable. Really, though, he actually does have value, terrible OBP or not. His ++range is magnified in value with Braun and Hart in the OF.

As long as Gomez is cheap ($3 mil or less), I wouldn't have a problem with him being the starting CF next year, assuming their are no better options in the minors. If he can be platooned with another cheap option, even better.

Cain was the guy I was most disappointed in losing in that deal. As it stands I think Morgan has the best chance of being the starter with maybe a 40% chance next years starter isn't on the team at this point. Gomez had to turn it around quite a bit to be more than a backup at this point.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The point is that Gomez is good for stretches but he still is not a good hitter. He mixes in a few good games to make us think he is improving but he is still a guy who just can't get on base with any regularity. His 1.3 WAR this year so far is mostly with his glove. He isn't a terrible player, just a terrible hitter.

One positive at the plate which shouldn't be ignored is that while Gomez's approach still isn't that sound, he drew his 12th walk today over 137 at bats so far this year. He now actually close to that 1 walk per 10 at bats ratio that most deem as pretty acceptable for a hitter. He's taken 6 walks in 37 at bats this month. Obviously is very questionable as to if he will continue doing this, but he's taking walks at a higher rate this year than at any point in his career. What's amazing though is how he hits for near the same batting average every season, between about .230-.250, give or take a few percentage points. So even if he keeps drawing walks at this somewhat improved pace, he'll only get a more acceptable OBP is he can get his BA at at least .260 or above.

Last season, only 28 batters in all of baseball posted an OBP of .370 or higher, and only 38 posted an OBP of .360 or higher. I think many on this site have their sights set way too high on what an "acceptable" OBP is. If your idea of acceptable = one of the top 5-10% of all players in the MLB, than you are often going to be let down.

If Gomez can play elite defense and get on base at a .320-.340 clip, I'll be thrilled. If we can put someone with a better OBP in the #2 hole, that's even better.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

MLB average OBP this year is .320. It's usually closer to the mid .330's, but, yes, Gomez does not even need to have a .340 OBP to be useful offensively. If Gomez could bat .320/.380/700, he'd be one of the most valuable CFs in the league.

Gomez has a higher OBP than the Minnesota Twins right now. Irony strikes again.

Let's get Lo Cain back from KC. He's pounding the ball in Omaha and the Royals don't seem to need him.
I would love to see that happen. Cain was one of my favorite Brewers once he was called up last season. Of course, I really can't see Melvin trading back for him now. I think I recall that Ned Yost really likes him.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

As long as Gomez is cheap ($3 mil or less), I wouldn't have a problem with him being the starting CF next year, assuming their are no better options in the minors. If he can be platooned with another cheap option, even better.
Morgan will likely come as cheap as Gomez

Archived