Brewer Fanatic

Brew Crew Review- 2011 First Round Mock Draft (Video)

CJ Cron is a monster. My PG associate David Rawnsley thinks Cron would be the perfect fit for the Brewers (he had the Brewers taking him in one of his mocks), and could replace Fielder a lot sooner that pretty much any other realistic option.

Although I do like Swihart.

EDIT: Overall, nicely done Craig. I don't think Cron has caught all year though. He's already been labelled an AL player.

Is there any chance that Cron can stick at catcher?

I hope that they take the highest ceiling pitcher available with the first of the round one picks and the biggest impact college bat with the second regardless of position. Cron would fit into that plan just fine.

CJ Cron over Blake Swihart? No, thank you.

I think Swihart signability takes him out of the running for the #15 pick however I could see the Brewers picking him at #12 if they think one of the college pitchers they like will still be there at #15. I really like Swihart he reminds me a lot of Brett Lawrie with maybe more upside and less baggage.

If the Brewers were to go with a high school player I would rather see them go with Josh Bell at the #12 pick and then take a safe sign ability pick at the #15 pick. I would rather spend the amount of money that would be needed to sign Bell than the Brewers spend that money on a free agent. But I do not see the Brewers drafting Bell because of the financials but I believe he would be the best pick at #12 for the Brewers.

I would take Swihart over Bell just because Bell is likely to play either first base or left field and Swihart probably will stick at catcher. Bell definitely has the better bat though.
Maybe but I don't see that many impact bats in the Brewers system anywhere really. Bell fills that void plus he is a switch hitter. But I believe Bell is a moot point because he is going to have a high price tag but with the changes that may come next year he may have to settle for less now because he could get a lot less next year. Yes I know everyone wants guys that can play defense well but I would rather have the bat than the defense. Defense can be taught and Bell to me looks like a player who will be a Braun type of a player. He is someone that I see as being a very hard working player. I believe he can become a good LF or RF but he may just be a 1B or LF but the Brewers do need a good bat at any position really. The Brewers really shouldn't be looking at defense first if the better player is someone who is not that great defensively but has a good bat I will take that good bat over the player who plays good defense and only has an OK bat.

I believe people are over valuing defense here yes it is important but when drafting a player I am going to rate defense lower than how athletic and the players bat speed and their strength. This is especially true when you are drafting a high school player.

Sure you can develop defense... if the organization actually does that sort of thing. Who was last poor defensive player that Brewers developed into a competent defender by the time they reached MLB? Weeks is the only poor defender who's ever even become average and that took years at the MLB level, and he's had a rough start to the season.

It's one thing to state it can be done, it's another to submit any evidence that the Brewers have ever accomplished such a feat. I do agree with your premise however, that I prefer any raw position player has an obvious hit tool first, because they won't get to MLB if they can't hit. I don't want to rehash the flaws in the Brewer's minor league system as I see them so I'll simply say that I don't see the organization shuffling priorities around until a regime change takes place.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It's one thing to state it can be done, it's another to submit any evidence that the Brewers have ever accomplished such a feat. I do agree with your premise however, that I prefer any raw position player has an obvious hit tool first, because they won't get to MLB if they can't hit. I don't want to rehash the flaws in the Brewer's minor league system as I see them so I'll simply say that I don't see the organization shuffling priorities around until a regime change takes place.

No the Brewers haven't done that but the premise still stands. I still believe the Brewers could do this but it has yet to be done. I still would rather have someone who can hit and then find them a spot where they can play adequate enough defense. Having depth even if it is just 1B or corner OF players isn't a bad thing and I know you know that. You can always trade your depth for a need ala LaPorta and others who have been traded.

I still believe the Brewers are going to go with the best player available at #12 and then at #15 they will take the best player available who can be signed. I just wish the Brewers would take a chance at trying to sign some of the big name high school players. I would rather see the Brewers invest a lot into the draft than free agency as the Brewers haven't had all that much luck in signing free agents. I still like Bell at the 12th pick with a college arm or bat with the 15th pick.

If the SS does not fall to 12 ,,no problem them going for two pitchers at 12 and 15.

If you are referring to Lindor, that's just not going to happen. Although I agree that there isnt anything wrong with taking a pitcher at both spots, they kind of need to play both sides of the ball with the 2 first rounders. One SS who might be available and worthwhile with the 15th could be the kid from UNC.

Archived