Brewer Fanatic

Driving from Milwaukee to Baton Rouge, LA via Indianapolis, Louisville, Bowling Green, Nashville, Birmingham, Mobile, and New Orleans

InsomniacInkRoss

Me and the wife have roughly 3 1/2 days to get to Baton Rough and we are taking the lonnnnnnnnng route.

What to do along the way?

The only things we really have solidly planned is a Sounds game, and I want to hit a bourbon distillery (but which?), and find an Absinthe bar in New Orleans

Open to any and all suggestions.

A few to check out:

-Chicago: plenty to do there of course, so probably don't need to get into that.

-Indy: Tour of Indy Motor Speedway is pretty cool, even if you're not a race fan. They have a museum as well.

-Louisville- L'ville Slugger tour is fun, can pick up a new stick too!

- Churchill Downs

-Kentucky- Mammoth Cave tour, if you're into that

- Fort Knox

Not sure why you would go through Alabama, but I'm sure you have your reasons. Quite a bit out of the way though.

-Nashville would be a good place to spend the night. Check out the bar scene. Also, obviously plenty of country music stuff to check out if you want.

-New Orleans- A ton to see and do, of course. Tabasco tour is pretty cool. Then there are the swamp tours, haunted sites, etc. Bourban St is a must see, if you're into that scene or not. Plenty of great food, won't have a problem there.

New Orleans--personally, I think Bourbon St. is pretty overrated; especially at night. If you're into walking around with a giant mob of drunk people, then sure. But otherwise, I'd hit up the rest of the French Quarter. Definitely make sure you eat down there. If you like seafood, look up Deanie's in the French Quarter. It's phenomenal. But in reality, you can't really go wrong with many restaurants down there.

Bypassing Chicago completely, been there plenty.

Been to the Motor Speedway for a race and for the museum, but thinking about an Indians game (what level are they?)

Open to a better route from Nashville to New Orleans, is Mississippi any better than Alabama? Is it worth going allllll the way over to Memphis before heading South?

Yea, I guess Alabama isn't out of the way like I thought IF you're set on going through Indy and Nashville. The alternative would be to go throught the middle of IL, Memphis, then straight through MS. Quicker, but nothing to do or see on the way.

I agree, Bourban St is a drunken mess the later it gets. Still one of those "must see" places. I'll also warn you that the French Quarter is somewhat dangerous, but there are a ton of police around. BUT when you take one step out of the Quarter, you'e on your own. And it gets dangerous at night, the first step you take out of the Quarter.

Indianapolis Indians are the AAA team for the Pirates.

Thanks FVBrewerfan for the tip about Mammoth Caves. I checked out some pictures and that looks really cool. I never thought I'd have interest in visiting Kentucky, but now if I am on a road trip anywhere near KY, I will go out of my way to see that.

When you get to New Orleans, get a shrimp or catfish po'boy for sure. The other worthwhile place to check out a Cafe Du Monde. It's just a coffee shop, but they serve up beignet (pronounced ben-yay) which are similar to doughnuts. It seems like one of the things New Orleans should be known better for, but it seems many tourists dont.

Also the I'm not sure how far along they are with the 9th ward, it is interesting to drive through it. Not sure how many of the homes are still up and if they've been able to demolish all of them. Three years ago you could drive through and see where the worst of the floods occurred. There's an area where they plowed over all the homes and put up pink shelters to show where new houses will be built. We called it Brad Pittsburgh since he contributed greatly to it.

I agree on the Mammoth Cave suggestion. The place is really cool (literally and figuratively), but be sure to order tickets in advance, otherwise you may not be able to get in for one of the 'full tours'. You could hit Lincoln's birthplace which is just north of the caves- not too far off the beaten path.

If you want to go to a distillery, even though it's 'Tennessee Whiskey', not bourbon, you have to hit the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg. Very interesting (and free). I think it's in the general direction that you are traveling, maybe an hour or so south of Nashville. I think they have tours every half hour or so, no reservation necessary.

You're on one end of the Bourbon Trail in Louisville. The area between Louisville and Lexington is outstanding in general. Lots of great food, bourbon, etc. Very scenic. Churchill Downs is a lot of fun. If you're into more of an indie/arts scene, the Highlands neighborhood in Louisville is awesome - shops and restaurants, very independent-minded.

Nashville has the Yazoo Brewery. http://www.yazoobrew.com/

Once you're in the south, it'd be difficult for me to not eat BBQ for basically every meal, breakfast included.

Archived