Brewer Fanatic

Itunes help

lodiness

*Warning, I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this better than I can, or have a better/easier way.*

Just went through this myself. I found home sharing to be the easiest way. Both machines must have internet access. Download and install itunes on the new machine, and authorize it. Then simply turn on home sharing on both machines. Go to the new machine and select "import" and all your music will transfer.

I did run into a couple issues. Playlists did not come over. Also, any music I copied from CDs adid not move over, so I manually copied those files to a thumb drive, and imported them to the new machine. It was very easy, just bummed that I had to set up new play lists all over again.

There are programs out there that do just what you need. I have used Senuti (iTunes backwards) but it is only for macs and costs $20. Not sure of any free or PC programs but I'm sure a quick google search would find some.

A program is not necessary.

Hook up your iPod, and select your iPod in iTunes. Check the "Enable iPod for disk use" (or something similar to that).

Next, make sure you show hidden files on your computer. To do that, in any folder, go to "Tools" then "Folder Options." Click on the "view" tab, then select the show hidden files button.

Then, make a folder...anywhere...where you want to transfer your files to.

Now, open My Computer, and find your iPod (should be the E: or F:, depending on how many drives you have). Open it. You are looking for a folder called iPod_Control (it will be shaded, because it's a hidden folder). Open it, then open the Music folder. Select everything in that folder, and transfer it to your designated folder. Don't worry about song names...they will come back when you put them in iTunes.

Go back to iTunes, and add music to your library from your designated folder. Everything should go in like normal. You will lose your playlists, but you'll still have your music.

If all of those options don't work, you can purchase a program called Copytrans. When I purchased my new CPU, I was able to transfer everything on my IPod onto the new computer. It was quick and easy. Mostly everything transferred. There might have been a few album artworks that did not. I think it costs something like $30. Definitely worth the money to save you from the time and headache of starting over.

My solution would be to get a Zune. All you do is go into the Zune software, highlight all the songs, and click copy to my collection. No headache and it's free. This is what happened when my motherboard crashed on my old computer and it ate my hard drive in the process of dying. Obviously this solution is not going to help your cause.

I've heard of people having success with Copytrans in the past...so it may not be a bad option if nothing else works. I like hearing it from multiple sources before I spend my money...so I'm returning the favor for a change.

Archived