Brewer Fanatic

I Like Carlos Gomez

JJHardy7
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gomez is really starting to win me over. He's what I expected Escobar to be at short last season. I hope he does relax and take a few more pitches in the 8 hole.

As far as what took so long. I think this was enough time for Gomez to show he is a viable 2 hole guy. It's baseball everything takes time. In baseball terms this was a short experiment. Cutting the experiment too soon can be as bad as too late. As the Posada/Girardi thing shows, players aren't numbers. Same could probably be said of Braun and Macha's relationship.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

As far as what took so long. I think this was enough time for Gomez to show he is a viable 2 hole guy. It's baseball everything takes time.
His career numbers weren't good (or bad) enough to show he wasn't a good 2 hole guy? I get that he's only 25 and has the tools and everything but I think his career numbers were enough to show he shouldn't have been in the 2 hole. He should have started in the 7 or 8 spot to begin with. Then if his spring success continued for a few months, then maybe you think about moving him up if someone else was struggling.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

i'm a little late to the conversation, but i like Gomez, too. granted, i like a healthy Morgan more. his OBP isn't anything better than last year, but his K rate is up and his average is down. i think if he just learns to make better contact with the ball he'd at least be a decent 7 or 8 hitter in the order.

i also think he should be given a little extra credit on his OBP statistics for his 9 SBs with only 1 CS. maybe he doesn't get to 1st enough, but his ability to steal second gives him a lot more value than basic OBP would otherwise say.

and considering his plus-plus defense, he makes average defenders in Hart and Braun look all that much better, which Morgan or Kotsay can't do. i'd like to see a couple more years out of Gomez to see if he develops more. i don't think he's all that much as he is, but there seems to be a lot of promise there. it's hard for me to say that a guy's peaked when he's only been given part-time roles every season.

Archived