Brewer Fanatic

Braun & Fielder vs...the best 1-2 punch

Braun & Fielder

Holliday & Berkman

Ethier & Kemp

a friend gave this hypothetical to me, which i thought might help answer this question. There is 1 out in the 9th, you are up by 1 run and there is a man on 1st. who would you most fear to face back to back- right now?

Verified Member

I assume you are just talking NL, and who is hot right now rather than who is the best overall. In that case it's hard to go against Holliday and Berkman. At the end of last week it probably would have been Braun and Fielder. The question about "who-is-hot" though changes so fast that it is pretty much meaningless.

Overall, I'd have to say that Pujols and Holliday are pretty near impossible to top.

that's right the question is in regards to - 'right now'. I don't know what you mean about meaningless. Most of the things we talk about in sports by that logic are meaningless ie top ten lists, roster arguments. They're hypotheticals- just fun to talk about, to argue about. In this case, I thought it was interesting that right now, there are three sets of back to back order guys- some of whom (especially berkman) who normally wouldn't be in this conversation- who are near the top of the major hitting categories- that all seem fairly comparable. Thus, a question of topic- what tandem is hitting the best right now?

I would regardless of how great Pujols is hitting right now, due to him being one of the greatest hitters of all-time he's gotta be in the discussion because he can get hot at anytime, that is why I said Pujols & Berkman

In terms of talent, & not what-have-you-done-for-me-lately, Pujols-Holliday is a better duo than Fielder-Braun imo because Pujols is the best hitter -- by quite a bit -- of that elite group.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Tex, Cano and A-Rod is a heck of a 1-2-3. Like that more than Pujols, Holliday and Berkman.

I think Bran and Fielder might be the best 1-2, but they don't really have a 3rd. Weeks? Hart? McGehee? They are good hitters but not in the same class.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

A-Rod isn't in the same class as A-rod anymore. Weeks had a better wOBA than A-Rod and almost identical to Teixiera last year. So did Hart. Given A-Rod's age it is just as possible he is starting to decline as last year was just an "off" year. Maybe more probable he is in decline.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

What about Jeter, Jeter, and Jeter???

It almost has to be Holliday-Pujols, simply because Pujols is absurdly good. In terms of top 3, you could make an argument that Braun, Fielder, Weeks is right up there.

Archived