Brewer Fanatic

McClendon back up; Green still on 40-man roster (optioned) -- Latest: How Green's option existed, we think

per the brewers 2011 media guide:

started 2010 with the mets, was put on the disabled list 4/11/10. he was activated from the disabled list on 8/12/10 after completing a rehab assignment at triple-a, but he remained at triple-a after being optioned on that date. he was recalled by the mets on 9/6/10. his stint in the minors was longer than 20 days.

spent all of 2009 with the mets.

spent all of 2008 with the mariners.

in 2007, green was recalled from triple-a tacoma on 4/19/07 but was optioned back the next day without making an appearance. he was recalled by seattle on 5/6/07, optioned back on 5/15/07, but then recalled for good on 5/23/07, spending the rest of the season with seattle.

in 2006, green had four stints with seattle:

1. 4/30/06 - 6/8/06; then optioned to triple-a

2. 6/24/06 - 7/2/06; placed on the 15-day disabled list 7/3/06 - 7/28/06

3. activated from the 15-day disabled list 7/29/06; stayed with the club through 8/17/06 before being optioned to triple-a for just three days

4. recalled by seattle on 8/20/06; placed on the 60-day disabled list 9/8/06 through the rest of the season.

the media guide does not state when the mariners purchased his contract and added him to the 40-man roster. presumably, it was before the 2006 season.

based on this, i can't figure out how he has any minor league options remaining.

As happy as I am that Green is out and we have another reliever up, I can't help but be a little concerned about our bullpen still. Lots of inconsistency thus far in the arms there, and now quite a bit of injuries with Parra, Saito, and Braddock all going to the DL.

So my question is: when Mark Rogers gets better, should they start using him as a reliever in hopes he can help the big league pen, a la Neftali Feliz?

I know you always want to feel covered with starting pitching, but Estrada's emergence along with Rivas' good start makes me feel a bit more insured in case something does happen. Out of the pen, he should be able to hit 96 consistently if he's right. Just a thought, as it seems like the bullpen depth has taken a bit of a hit lately.

McClendon should have had the inside track on a spot out of spring training based on two solid months of work in the majors last year. I never figured out why the Brewers gave Green a major league deal. The guy never had a major league WHIP under 1.4, didn't pitch much in 2010, and was soon to be 32.

They should be on the look out now for a lefty reliever. I'm not all that comfortable with just Stetter available from the left side.

As happy as I am that Green is out and we have another reliever up, I can't help but be a little concerned about our bullpen still. Lots of inconsistency thus far in the arms there, and now quite a bit of injuries with Parra, Saito, and Braddock all going to the DL.

So my question is: when Mark Rogers gets better, should they start using him as a reliever in hopes he can help the big league pen, a la Neftali Feliz?

I know you always want to feel covered with starting pitching, but Estrada's emergence along with Rivas' good start makes me feel a bit more insured in case something does happen. Out of the pen, he should be able to hit 96 consistently if he's right. Just a thought, as it seems like the bullpen depth has taken a bit of a hit lately.

I think Rogers is far off from stepping foot on another major league mound. He can't find the strikezone. His k/bb ratio is one of the worst I've ever seen for a minor league pitcher.

If Sean Green had a minor league option remaining, I'm flabbergasted that he made the club in the first place. I assumed he made the club because he was out of options.

That's what I thought. Wasn't it reported at the time that he had the edge on James, McClendon, and Kintzler for that very reason?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This was written August 16th of last year --

Green will have option in 2011

On September 6th, though, there was this from the same source, explaining how circumstances would have changed --

GREEN DAY: Reliever Sean Green had a plane ticket in hand, prepared to join the Mets for a mid-August series in Houston when he was informed of a change of plans at the last moment.

Because it was within 10 days of Green being taken off an injury rehab assignment and officially optioned to the minors, the Mets were prohibited rule-wise from promoting Green unless he was replacing a player placed on the disabled list.

Because Francisco Rodriguez was being placed on the disqualified list, not the disabled list, Green was barred from the promotion. Instead, Ryota Igarashi -- the player who had filled in for K-Rod during the initial two-day suspension for Rodriguez -- was allowed to be recalled.

The 31-year-old Green is back now, having joined the Mets with outfielder Jesus Feliciano, left-hander Raul Valdes and Gee on Monday. (Nick Evans was promoted Sunday.)

Where does Green fit in terms of his future with the Mets? That’s an open question. But there now appears a better chance he is back in 2011 than when he was bypassed for a promotion when his 30-day rehab clock expired last month.

But heck, if you read the first link above, a Mets official makes it seem as though he'd have another option for 2012, which makes even less sense.

So the real issue now becomes how did Green beat out McClendon to begin with?

So the real issue now becomes how did Green beat out McClendon to begin with?

Are other or most MLB teams run with such a propensity to keep the guys who are out of options, talent be damned? It's getting really annoying with Melvin & the Brewers. Better player available... but he has an OPTION left! You can keep the crappier player too!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It would appear Green made the roster for two reasons:

1. To justify paying him twice the minimum on a major league deal.

2. He had good spring training numbers.

How his spring training numbers in a handful of Arizona innings trumps 2 solid months in the big leagues by McClendon last season is beyond me. Giving any credence to spring training numbers is plain dumb.

I get the justifying his deal and the fact that he had an option explains how he got a major league in the first place. That the Mets let him go though with an option remaining should have raised red flags all over the place.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

started 2010 with the mets, was put on the disabled list 4/11/10. he was activated from the disabled list on 8/12/10 after completing a rehab assignment at triple-a, but he remained at triple-a after being optioned on that date. he was recalled by the mets on 9/6/10. his stint in the minors was longer than 20 days.

Think I've figured this out.

As of September 1st, the 25-man roster in effect becomes a 40-man roster with all players on the 40-man eligible to be on the major league roster, as we all know.

So as of September 1st, there is no more "counting of the 20 days" going on. The counting stops after August 31st.

Since Green was optioned on August 12th, the 20 day period which would have made the option formal extended past August 31st just barely into September. It didn't matter that the Mets waited until September 6th to bring back Green. The option period was only 19 days.

So there you go.

I think. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived