Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Players of the Month - April: You make the call; Latest: Winners Named

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like following the minors, but I generally miss someone who is playing well. So I'm interested in knowing who you thought had the best month of April in our minors. Here is mine:

AAA

Pitcher: Rivas, Amaury - Having a very quiet, but nice start to the year.

Batter - Gamel, Mat - Kind of by default. Everyone else has limited playing time or just playing poorly.

AA

Pitcher: Peralta, Wily - Edges out Michael Bowman due to ~3x the K/9IP

Batter: Komatsu, Erik - Little Pine is bringing out the big sticks (well, for a 5'10" CF anyway). Boy, wouldn't his OBP look nice in the MLB right now...

A+

Pitcher: Bucci, Nicholas - Neck and neck with Heckathorn

Batter: Davis, Khristopher - Turning heads everywhere right now. If you can hit with power in Brevard... sweet!

A

Pitcher: Ross, Austin - Excellent start for Austin. Bucking for a promo already...

Batter: Walker, Michael - 3B from no where jumps on the scene!

Interesting that 3 of the 4 batters are left handed...

Interesting thread idea, I like it, but it's too easy doing 1 per level though. I'll do mine with 1 pitcher and 1 hitter a bit later tonight when I catch up on everything.

Pitcher

Austin Ross (Heckathorn was a very close 2nd, his K/BB of 4.83 is pretty impressive)

Hitter

Kris Davis. Mike Walker was a close 2nd but Davis is putting up awesome numbers as a righty in the FSL and he also sports a good BB rate.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

but it's too easy doing 1 per level though

Yeah, it was a bit more obvious than I had hoped when I started... hopefully the competition will pick up in future months.

There used to be a monthly minor league wrap-up done by the mods a few years back. I always liked the idea, since other people always spot something I would miss. With rookie ball starting, it should make it more interesting also, as we get more to pick.

For overall I would agree with Ross and Davis. Komatsu would have Walker beat out for second, IMO, but Davis has been WOW.

Hitter: Khris Davis (as noted, his production in such a pitchers' environment is very impressive)

Pitcher: Amaury Rivas (put him ahead of Ross due to AAA v. A-)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Tom Haudricourt --

Minor matters

Right-hander Austin Ross was named the Brewers' minor-league pitcher of the month for April and outfielder Khris Davis was named the player of the month.

Ross, 22, was 2-0 with a 1.08 ERA in four starts with low Class A Wisconsin, with six walks and 21 strikeouts in 25 innings. Davis, 23, batted .350 with five homers and 22 RBI in 22 games for high Class A Brevard County.

Ross has been impressive since being taken in the eighth round of the 2010 draft out of Louisiana State. He went 2-1 with a 2.70 ERA in 10 games (five starts) last year with the rookie Helena club.

A seventh-round selection out of Cal-State Fullerton in 2009, Davis was a midseason and postseason all-star selection for Wisconsin last season and won the Midwest League's home run derby.

Archived