Brewer Fanatic

Francisco Liriano's Struggles Continue, Tosses No-Hitter

Also, they redefined the term "no-hitter" a couple years ago. Before that, 5 inning no-hitters counted.

Then there was this one:

http://www.baseball-refer...s/CHA/CHA199007010.shtml

The fact that Hawkins never pitched the bottom of the 9th, since he was losing 4-0, means it was stripped of it's no-no status when the rules were changed.

I think this might be the worst. A few guys have thrown no-nos with more walks, but two strikeouts is incredible. 6 BBs to 2 Ks is just bad. I think this is a lot more of the White Sox having a terrible offense (at least right now).

Looking at that game, had the "Unwritten Book" been created yet? A young Pete Rose (his 166th career game) tried to bunt with one out in the top of the ninth of a no hitter. I guess he was more concerned about playing the game then following non-rules.

And this one wasn't ugly in a walk sense, but ugly in who gets credit for it. Brad Lidge? Everyone?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Verified Member
Looking at that game, had the "Unwritten Book" been created yet? A young Pete Rose (his 166th career game) tried to bunt with one out in the top of the ninth of a no hitter. I guess he was more concerned about playing the game then following non-rules.
I'm not exactly sure I would cite Pete Rose when speaking about rules. He didn't have many qualms about breaking the written ones, so I'm not sure why the unwritten ones would faze him. It might actually be an endorsement for the rules existing if Pete Rose did that.

I don't think strike outs have anything to do with it. Liriano wasn't dominant but he throws everything with movement like Marcum. Even though the K's are not there, I think you have to look at what kind of contact was made. These pitchers have good games when there are alot of lazy fly balls and weak ground balls. But I did not see all of the game. I only saw the last inning and a replay of that awful call at first base.

On September 19th, 1986, Joe Cowley of the White Sox threw a no-no against the Angels. He gave up an earned run, walked 7 but did strike out 8. He walked the bases loaded with no outs in one inning. I remember reading about this game the next day. I recall a few Angels batters giving him only a grudging credit; saying his control was so bad they never had a pitch to swing at and were somewhat frightened standing in the batter's box.

I recall a few Angels batters giving him only a grudging credit; saying his control was so bad they never had a pitch to swing at and were somewhat frightened standing in the batter's box.

Isn't that the goal of pitching, to keep hitters uncomfortable and not give them good pitches to swing at? This reminds me of Crash Davis in Bull Durham...

"I wouldn't dig in if I was you. Next one might be at your head. I don't know where it's gonna go. Swear to God."

b5 0-1 0 --- 6,(2-2) BSBFFX PIT A. LaRoche C. Sabathia -5% 54% Single to P (Ground Ball to Front of Home)

I'm drawing a mental blank... what was the controversy on that one again?

CC mishandled the ball trying to pick it up, and would have gotten him at first with a clean pick up, but they gave LaRoche a hit instead of calling it an error. So that one play cost him the no-no.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived