Brewer Fanatic

after outrighting, are salaries renegotiated?

at the end of spring training, brandon boggs was outrighted to the minor leagues. he had the right to refuse the minor league assignment, but took it. presumably, his contract calls for a salary while in the minor leagues and a higher figure while in the major leagues or on the major league disabled list (commonly referred to as a split contract).

it seems as if brandon boggs will be the odd man out when nyjer morgan is activated later today. boggs would have to be outrighted again. assuming no team claims him and places him on their major league roster, boggs will have the right to declare free agency . . . or accept the assignment (presumably to aaa nashville).

in accepting that assignment, can boggs negotiate for a new contract . . . perhaps one that pays him more at the minor league level than before? were i him, i'd demand such, on the assumption that the brewers wouldn't want to be paying larger sums of money to a player kept at aaa . . . they'd want that money to help them at the major league level.

i'd think that boggs would be in a position of leverage, considering that the brewers don't have any outfielders on their 40-man roster that they can option up and down this season.

or does the player revert to the salary specified in his original contract?

thanks . . . i only brought up boggs as an example. i'd appreciate it if the merits of his presence are discussed in the thread devoted to brandon boggs.

i'm curious about player salaries . . . one would think that when a player accepts an assignment, he does so after signing a new contract.

getting technical, if the player is not claimed and chooses to accept the assignment to the minor leagues, does he declare free agency but then immediately sign a minor league deal with the team that outrighted him?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Completely off the top of my head without the benefit of any consultation (i.e. warning, I'm probably wrong)....

I would guess that he remains under his original contract until he declares free agency. If he is claimed, he will play on that same contract, but fulfilled by another team, so waiving him doesn't void the contract. I believe he is the only one to void the contract by declaring free agency. Then he could ask the Brewers for more money...

a player on the 40-man roster has a major league contract. usually, if he has minor league options remaining, he negotiates a split contract with a salary to earn while in the majors and a lower salary to earn while in the minors.

• 4 weeks later...
I would think that there'd be no rule preventing Boggs from telling the Brewers that he'd accept the assignment if they give him more money.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived