Brewer Fanatic

Braddock to 15 day DL -- Latest: Braddock activated, McClendon optioned

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Even though he's eligible to be activated for the West Coast, Zach Braddock is now scheduled to start Tuesday's Timber Rattlers game, so look for his activation on Friday instead (as many assumed given the odd travel schedule this week).

Is there any chatter with the recent developments with Braddock to try and re-attempt him as a starter? I know the injury history/risk was the main reason the Brewers switched him to relief. His success as a reliever has also been a positive for the brewers. I noticed after Braddock's two rehab outings that his pitch count and innings have increased. I'm not a medical expert by any means, but would it help Braddock battle the fatigue caused by the sleep disorder if he only pitched 1 every 5 days?

Yeah, I could see that happening, but there's not a spot for him. I guess he could go into the Nashville rotation, but we need him in the pen right now. It was a little odd that he threw 3 innings in his last outing, but 33 pitches isn't a ton. You would have to think that starting would help with his disorder fatigue wise because he'd only need to be sharp every 5 days, but there's not much we can do about that right now.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Is there any chatter with the recent developments with Braddock to try and re-attempt him as a starter?

Welcome BK, but I certainly hope not. I think he is better off limited to < 70 innings per year based on his health history.

As for his sleep disorder, there are far too many variables that we don't know anything about to know if that is true or not. If he has anxiety problems, starting may be better, as there will be 4 straight days he knows he won't pitch. However, some people handle small amounts of regular work better than the all or nothing of starting.

• 2 weeks later...

McCalvy posted an article on Braddock in the wee hours last night: Rehabbing Braddock nearing return

CINCINNATI -- Brewers left-handed reliever Zach Braddock pitched a second consecutive night for Triple-A Nashville on Wednesday, and club officials will discuss whether to reinstate him from the disabled list as early as Friday in Florida.

Braddock has been on the 15-day DL since May 3 getting treatment for a sleep disorder. His rehab hit a roadblock when he split the middle fingernail on his left hand warming up for a Class A appearance on May 23.

He's since made three appearances for Nashville. Braddock walked three batters Tuesday night in two-thirds of an inning, but Sounds reliever Donovan Hand stranded the runners. On Wednesday, Braddock walked another batter but pitched a scoreless inning.

With Braddock, Mitch Stetter (hip) and Manny Parra (elbow) all on the DL, the Brewers have been without a left-hander in the bullpen since May 17. That may have hurt them Wednesday in Cincinnati, as right-hander Kameron Loe surrendered a game-winning home run to left-handed Reds slugger Joey Votto.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Braddock was activated and McClendon optioned to Nashville:

Manager Ron Roenicke said McClendon was sent out instead of Tim Dillard because he has been intrigued by the way Dillard has pitched lately (one scoreless inning tonight) and thinks he can use him more.

"We haven't been using 'Mac' a lot and he needs to go out and pitch," said Roenicke.

Dillards splits against Righties isn't that great for a sidewinding righty. I know he has good outings the last 2 times though. I still would have preferred McClendon to stay on this club though.

I tend to agree. It was crazy some of the sliders that the Marlins were swinging at tonight, a few were started 6-10 inches off the plate and ended over a foot off the plate.

That said, if if Dillard can become a very reliable Loogy basically, he can have value given more hitters are righthanded and with our rotation, we might be able to afford that luxury. He has to be lights out vs righties though.

Other than one bad outing McClendon was very good in his time here. He actually ended up with 3 wins. I feel that he would've been better to keep than Dillard, but I guess if Dillard can be effective against righties that'll work ok. Either way, he'll be gone once any of the relievers come off the DL.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If he's super effective vs righties, it doesn't make a difference if our manager doesn't realize he's horrible against lefties. See Loe, Kameron.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived