Brewer Fanatic

Braddock to 15 day DL -- Latest: Braddock activated, McClendon optioned

Verified Member

A-what? Sleep disorder? How was he able to make it through the game last

night with his eyes closed? And how is going on the DL going to help

him get over his "sleep disorder." Did he pick up the wrong pillows

from Macy's like Suppan? If so, perhaps Gallardo should go shopping with

him...

This is the most blatant abuse of the DL I think I've ever seen.

Sleep disorders are nothing to laugh at. Sleep Apnea was a huge contributing factor in the much too early demise of Reggie White as well as many others.

If Braddock legitimately has a sleep disorder and will be unavailable due to testing, etc, the DL is where he belongs. I tend to think it's true, just because if they were going to "phantom DL" someone I would think Green long before Braddock.

I wonder if he truly has a disorder, such as narcolepsy or sleep apnea, or if it's more of an acute insomnia. Sleep is very important and hopefully the staff can help him if he's having trouble sleeping when he's supposed to.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sleep disorders are nothing to laugh at. Sleep Apnea was a huge contributing factor in the much too early demise of Reggie White as well as many others.

If Braddock legitimately has a sleep disorder and will be unavailable due to testing, etc, the DL is where he belongs. I tend to think it's true, just because if they were going to "phantom DL" someone I would think Green long before Braddock.

Oh, I don't doubt that it's legitimate.

It's just very WEIRD this season when the Brewers need a roster spot for a returning player, something really bizarre happens.

Need a roster spot? Almonte gets hit in the face by a thrown ball.

Need a roster spot? Braddock has a sleeping disorder.

What's going to happen when Greinke's ready to come back tomorrow???

Throw in Roger's carpal tunnel via a virus and Ben Sheets battling vertigo (also due to a virus I believe) twice... we get some of the oddest injuries. I'm sure all teams get them, but this is rather strange...

A sleep disorder is odd, but not unheard of. If he is having issues sleeping, it certainly could cause fatigue - which might explain the loss of velocity.

I'm old enough to have seen others with things like this - even experienced it a bit - so I'm not going to dismiss it was bs.

Let's just get him healthy. Our bullpen has been spotty, and getting him back to full strength would be great.

Oh, I don't doubt that it's legitimate.

It's just very WEIRD this season when the Brewers need a roster spot for a returning player, something really bizarre happens.

Need a roster spot? Almonte gets hit in the face by a thrown ball.

Need a roster spot? Braddock has a sleeping disorder.

You forgot when Marcum had to grieve over his father having successful surgery. Now that was a sham, a mockery and a travesty. It was a traveshamockery.

Seriously, this move weakens the pen so and not one you would think that is resolved all that quickly. They are woefully low on lefty bullpen arms, and no I don't count Parra when he returns because lefties have hammered him his entire career.

We'll know this is legit or not if Braddock is put on a "rehab" assignment in the next couple weeks. Then it could be they wanted a way to send down Braddock for 4-6 weeks without using an option.

Counsel's going to come down with rheumatoid arthritis - seems like when a position player's ready to come back a pitcher randomly goes down or can't sleep, and when a pitcher's ready to come back a position player gets hit in the face or falls over funny.

Reggie White also suffered from sarcoidosis which contributed greatly to his early death, not to mention being 300 pounds. That's the same ailment that contributed to the demise of Bernie Mac. Sarcoidosis of the lungs limits breathing capacity and combined with something like apnea when breathing patterns are disrupted, can be very dangerous.

A lot of people suffer from various degrees of sleep disorders. It could very well be affecting his performance, though it seems odd that one would need a DL trip to treat it.

You forgot when Marcum had to grieve over his father having successful surgery. Now that was a sham, a mockery and a travesty. It was a traveshamockery.
If this statement is serious, it is seriously misguided.

Sleep disorders bring about Jeff Suppan jokes and family emergencies are shams? You have to be kidding me.

Verified Member
After my post earlier, I just want to give the best of luck to whatever Zach is dealing with. It wasn't meant to be malicious in any regard; more of a comment on the bizarre-ness of of many maladies and roster moves the Brewers have made recently. I wish it was only a sore neck from bad pillows, but it sounds like it may be a bit more involved. In matters like this, I think a manager like RRR is a great asset to the organization. From all accounts he really seems to be able to work with people well, and I have no doubt that Zach will come back strong sooner rather than later.

People who make fun of illnesses/maladies that kill?

Stay classy.

Many people that have sleeping disorders are overweight. Braddock's is related to his anxiety disorder, probably just a "racing mind" type of thing. As stated, a body needs sleep, here are far more car accidents the day the clocks are turned ahead than normal. I worked 80 hours a week for a couple years, and your body does adjust, but you're still drowsy, find it harder to concentrate, and the like. Tough to be a world class athlete in that state, to say the least.

They have special forces do varieties of puzzles and the like after being up for 36+ hours, they learn how to "fight through fatigue," as you can't wait to shoot OBL because you are tired. However, for most folks, it's easier just to get enough sleep.

I don't think most people were making fun of it. They were just saying it was a weird thing to go on the DL for, or that it was made up, before the details were known. Now that everyone knows the situation, no one would make fun of it. This is a serious issue, and I hope he gets things worked out soon.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Many people that have sleeping disorders are overweight.

Many people that have sleep disorders have brown hair.

Many people that have sleep disorders drive Fords.

Many people that have sleep disorders like asparagus.

All technically true, but all very misleading.

Many sleep disorders have nothing to do with weight. The only one I can grab off the top of my head that does is apnea, and that's limited to Obstructive Sleep Apnea (admittedly, the most common sleep disorder that I know of). Alcohol use, smoking, and other factors also contribute to O.S.A.

Central Sleep Apnea is like the old joke..."forgot how to breathe" (there is fault with the signal from the brain, or with its delivery).

Many overweight people have been misdiagnosed with narcolepsy, only to find that what they really have is severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. So severe that they fall asleep during waking hours like a narcoleptic; instantly, and at any given moment.

There are many, many, many different types of sleep disorders.

Sleep disorders are a huge cash cow for the medical machine these days. Most hospitals have a center devoted to them, so I think that they're legit. I've known a lot of people who go in overnight for 'sleep studies' and such. I had insomnia once, and Ambien knocked that out of me after a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived