Brewer Fanatic

Derek Lowe charged with DUI while racing; Roger McDowell suspended for two weeks for "homophobic and threatening" comments to fans

Gordy Wright, a spokesman for the Georgia State Patrol, said a trooper stopped Lowe's vehicle at about 10 p.m. ET Thursday after it was spotted racing another car down an Atlanta street. The trooper detected an odor of an alcoholic beverage and administered a field sobriety test, which resulted in Lowe's arrest.

The 37-year-old right-hander was charged with DUI, reckless driving and improper lane change, Wright said. Lowe declined to take a breath test before he was released, the spokesman added. The other driver also was stopped, but there were no immediate details on whether he was charged.

Full Link

Lowe got thrown out of Boston because he couldn't handle his drinking. The leopard never changes his spots.

And McDowell will suffer more consequences than Lowe, for sure.

Lowe got thrown out of Boston because he couldn't handle his drinking.

I knew they drank a lot in Boston, but I didn't think they threw you out of town just for not being able to handle your booze.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Who do you think will get a bigger suspension or fine - - McDowell for non PC words or Lowe for recklessly driving while drunk?
Lowe is a tool, has been for years from what I've heard. He will get off light compared to McDowell, who everyone has convicted in their minds of attempted battery with a dangerous weapon.

Verified Member
Lowe got thrown out of Boston because he couldn't handle his drinking.

I knew they drank a lot in Boston, but I didn't think they threw you out of town just for not being able to handle your booze.

When you see 2 catchers and you throw to the wrong one, it becomes problematic.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Actually Lowe was a fool; very visible in the bar scene and frequently showing up hungover in the clubhouse.

When you see 2 catchers and you throw to the wrong one, it becomes problematic.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Actually Lowe was a fool; very visible in the bar scene and frequently showing up hungover in the clubhouse.

He was also seen around the back bay with a different girl just about every night, while his wife was pregnant. The Sox weren't real happy with that public image.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

jjkoestler]He is making his scheduled start for the Braves today. Unbelievable.
This is a complete joke. I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but I think the situation with him and McDowell speaks volumes on how our society prioritizes things.

He is making his scheduled start for the Braves today. Unbelievable.
This is a complete joke. I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but I think the situation with him and McDowell speaks volumes on how our society prioritizes things.
Well, I think it's far worse to hate and ridicule entire segments of society than to be a dumb drunk.

I don't understand how McDowell doesn't lose his job if what was said in that article is correct.

Homophobic slurs-check

Lude actions-check

Swearing in front of children-check

Threatening someone with a bat-check

Trying to drive out paying customers-check

Tell me one job where you could do all that and still remain. I know others will say that "baseball" isn't just a normal job, that it's different. That's crap, this guy should be out of a job. I do believe in second chances but he should have to earn them, not handed them to you after a two week vacation.

Lastly, and I don't know this but it's just my guess, he is really apologizing for getting caught and having this whole thing go public, not for his actions.

He is making his scheduled start for the Braves today. Unbelievable.
Well, I think it's far worse to hate and ridicule entire segments of society than to be a dumb drunk.
Like I said, I don't want to get this too political, but would you have said the same had Lowe hit someone while drunk? To me actions speak louder than words, especially since Gloria Aldred is involved. That tells me that the 'father of the year' candidate in S.F. may have some ulterior motives. There are two sides to every story.

I don't understand how McDowell doesn't lose his job if what was said in that article is correct.

Homophobic slurs-check

Lude actions-check

Swearing in front of children-check

Threatening someone with a bat-check

Trying to drive out paying customers-check

Tell me one job where you could do all that and still remain. I know others will say that "baseball" isn't just a normal job, that it's different. That's crap, this guy should be out of a job. I do believe in second chances but he should have to earn them, not handed them to you after a two week vacation.

Lastly, and I don't know this but it's just my guess, he is really apologizing for getting caught and having this whole thing go public, not for his actions.

Sounds like a typical game in the bleachers at County Stadium. I guess with that bat thing, it'd have had to been on Bat Day. The point that I'm trying to make is that when you take your children to a game- especially if you are not in the family section, you had better be prepared to have them see and hear some things that you don't want them to. It's sad, but that's just the way it is. I have three youngsters and rarely take them to a night game, because I don't like the exposure to drunks.

As for your argument about losing your job, you are right. However I will use the 'baseball is different' argument because in most jobs, you are not heckled while you are working. I've heard that McDowell was getting heckled for the better part of an hour before this happened. Who knows what these guys were saying to him, but I would guess that it wasn't G rated stuff. I highly doubt that he was just looking into the stands to pick on people and have some good ole' fan interaction.

Sensitivity training is a complete joke, and I mean that in empirical and not political terms. The idea that you can overcome a human's entire environmental history with a ten hour touchy-feely drum circle about how we're all equal is just stupid. If a grown man is legitimately bigoted, pointing that out to him has zero probability of making him rethink his position. Short of having them live as minorities in a hostile environment for 5 years, you're merely trying to polish turds.

Verified Member

I'm not exactly surprised at McDowell's situation. He was, after all, a member of the 1986 Mets. Heck, David Cone exposed himself to a woman in the bullpen.
Wasn't he the 'second spitter' as well?
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6540/bddseinfeldgeorgexf6.jpg

Sensitivity training is a complete joke, and I mean that in empirical and not political terms. The idea that you can overcome a human's entire environmental history with a ten hour touchy-feely drum circle about how we're all equal is just stupid. If a grown man is legitimately bigoted, pointing that out to him has zero probability of making him rethink his position. Short of having them live as minorities in a hostile environment for 5 years, you're merely trying to polish turds.
Exactly. In my posts above, I'm not condoning what McDowell allegedly did, but let's be real- why is MLB bending and doing all this lip service to satisfy GLAAD and Allred while doing nothing to punish Lowe? Though to GLAAD and Alred's credit, they seem satisfied with the punishment, it seems as he who cries loudest gets results (not to mention that I found the family presser, where every word and gesture was recreated with the kids standing right there like smiling pawns to be pretty distasteful). McDowell may be a scumbag, but you have people wanting to crucify him, but on the same team, you have a guy out drunken racing, and he doesn't miss a start. How soon we forget the Danny Heatley, Bobby Phills (not drunk, but racing) and Leonard Little incidents. Are they that afraid of the players union or what?

Shin Soo Choo was arrested for DUI as well. Let's see what happens here. I'm guessing nothing.
I'm guessing that you are right. The 'innocent until proven guilty' card will be played. I think that MLB should institute a mandatory suspension for anyone found guilty of DWI, though I'm sure it would be a nightmare with the players union and the deep pockets of the players which get them the best DWI defense lawyers that money can buy.

Verified Member
It's a tricky issue. Players are private citizens with personal rights just like anybody else. Is there really any legal reason that a person should be disallowed from doing their job for a first time DUI/DWI? However, players are also public figures and role models for our children (whether they want to be or not), so I understand wanting to be very strict in matters like this.

Archived