Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks: Let's enjoy how far he's progressed

TooLiveBrew
I have always been Rickie's number one fan. A kid in my office got to hang out with him last week and I was kind of envious. That's hard to say being a 35 year old man.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif What did it for me was that homerun he hit into Big Mac Land shortly after he was called up. I always thought it would be foolish to give up on him.

I've been a fan of Rickie's since he was drafted. I been checking out Brewerfan since before the .com "incident" and have chosen my favorite prospects from before that time (Cristian Guerrero was supposed to by our Vlad!). Rickie was the first big-timer to make it up and after seeing the effort he played with consistently I hooked my wagon on him. Took some grief at times, but he has arrived! Keep working, 23!

Yeah, Rickie is well worth his contract even if he has reached his peak. I also took a look at his defensive metrics and they're much better than I realized. The last couple years, he's been just about average with the glove, with offense significantly above average. He's not the best hitter on this team, but factoring in defense and position I bet he's worth more runs over replacement level this season than anyone else on the roster.

Again, just for the sake of perspective: Paul Molitor's career OBP was .369 with a .817 career OPS. Rickie Weeks has a .356 career OBP with a .788 career OPS (and his OPS was .857 in '09 & .830 last year)

I'm not saying Weeks is as great as Molitor was, yet, but when you start to compare the two, Weeks is looking better than one might originally think. He's got the potential to be better than Molitor, in my opinion

On base and slugging percentages are higher as a whole these days, so I'd submit that the gap between Weeks and Molitor is larger than what straight OBP and OPS would show. Weeks has a career OPS+ of 108 while Molitor's is 122. That's a pretty fair gap at this point.

If there's an offensive stat out there that would paint a more accurate picture than OPS+ while still adjusting for era, it'd be cool to see what it has to say.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived