Brewer Fanatic

Traveling to Florida Keys/Key West

jjkoestler
Some friends and I are vacationing in Key West May 14-22. So far the only things on my agenda is fishing the flats with my fly rod, and checking out the Rays v Marlins on May 21 (Match-up could be Price v Johnson). Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do/ not to do in the Keys? Thanks in advance.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You can see the actual boat used in the African Queen. It's docked in Key Largo. Free to look at it. It will take you about 15 minutes (including time to park).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've always been an old young person, now I'm just getting old. So none of these things are crazy awesome. But when we were down in Key West I really enjoyed seeing Hemingway's house and Harry Truman's "little White House". Truman spent a lot of his vacation time while in office down there. Of course we got our picture taken by the 90 miles from Cuba marker. Lots of local people looking to take your picture there for a little $. All of the chickens running wild around the town was very different. Hope you have a blast!

Community Moderator

I've been in South Florida for 8 months now. We only went to the Keys for one day. The drive is very pretty but there isn't that much to do out there (at least for young people on a budget). Snorkeling is very popular in Key Largo, they have tour groups that go out to the Coral Reef. Key West is more for the older, drinking crowd but there are some decent restaurants/cafes. The Hemmingway/Truman house are popular tourist destinations and the beach on the end of Key West is decent (clean but not much sand or surf). Fishing is very popular, many places offer guided deep sea fishing tours as well.

You could also check out the southern part of Everglades National Park. The entrance is in Homestead and the road goes all the way down to the bottom of the FL mainland. I have never actually been to that part but I have heard good reviews. I am planning on taking some visitors canoeing down there in a few weeks. The canoeing elsewhere in South Florida (Ten Thousand Islands, Peace River) has been very enjoyable.

If you are flying into Ft. Lauderdale, I recommend paying the tolls and taking 595 to the Turnpike instead of taking 95 into downtown Miami. That will keep you away from most of the traffic (unless you are planning on stopping in Miami).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Very cool. I'll definitely check that out as we are driving from Fort Lauderdale to Key West.

Oh and there's a bar in Key Largo where they filmed the Humphrey Bogart movie "Key Largo". Caribbean Club I think it's called.

So watch that movie and then go see the bar.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hemingway house and Truman's house are cool, there is also an old civil war era fort to walk around if that's your thing, did that with my dad, we also flew to another one, the dry tortugas, via seaplane which was fun in its own right, the sunset pier is interesting with the street performers and everyone clapping for the sunset, have some key lime pie while you're down there, don't have to point out any bars, you'll see plenty

I second the suggestion for the Dry Tortugas. We took a boat there, not a sea plane - and it's a little pricey. But it's a 19th century fort that was built to protect shipping lanes. The thing was obsoltete before they finished it. They used it as a prison during the Civil War and Dr. Mudd was housed there. If you take the boat you get breakfasta and lunch, a tour of the fort, which is really cool, and then a chance to snorkel some really pretty reefs nearby.

My best friend lives there and knows all the best drink specials by night, so if you let me know exactly what days of the week you'll be there I can let you know where to go.

There's a desert place called Better Than Sex, which is really good. They do chocolate or carmel lined glasses of wine. So good.

Alonzo's (located in the Seaport) is best known for its Happy Hour which runs from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. daily. All drinks plus everything on the left side of the menu is 50 percent off. It is definitely the place to get fresh seafood such as oysters, mussels, peel n' eat shrimp, and conch fritters among other things. www.alonzosoysterbar.com

Virgilio's (located on Applerouth Lane at the corner of Duval Street) is best known for its Martini Monday night. Every Monday from about 7:30 p.m. until closing, all martinis are only $5. You can get practically any type of martini that you could think of from gin to vodka and from fruity to original to dessert-flavored. www.virgilioskeywest.com

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Tristar - We will be in Key West Sat - Fri. Cool places to drink and specials would be most appreciated as I imagine we will be punishing our livers quite a bit.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Archived