Brewer Fanatic

Hart activated; Almonte to 7-day DL (concussion)

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Craig Counsell now the only backup infielder for the next week without a roster move. Eric Farris is on the 40-man roster, as of course, is "first baseman" Mat Gamel.

Somewhere Luis Cruz feels very foolish for walking away from the Brewers.

Farris might be a real possibility to cover the gap.

And you think there were questions about Del-Monte's defense before. How can you possibly put him in RF when he can't even catch a soft toss from Craig Counsell? He must not be seeing the ball too well right now.

Their [sic] is 7 day DL?? I think I remember that about 20 or 25 years ago.
you're thinking about the 30-day disabled list. that's the most recently, uh, disabled disabled list.
More likely just got it confused with the minor's 7 Day DL

I don't recall the existence of any 30 day disabled list in recent years, but I kind of thought that there was a 21 day list in existence until fairly recently. The only thing I can really conclude is that there's no decent history of disabled lists on the web.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the history of the disabled list:

Until the late 1980s, there were 10-day and 21-day disabled lists. The number of players who could be placed on each list was limited, and there was much less flexibility about when they could return to action. In addition, players with major league contracts were not allowed to go to the minor leagues for rehabilitation.
I don't recall a 10 day disabled list anytime in my lifetime, but the real problem is that because Wikipedia's history completely uncited, you can't give it much credibility.

Information quoted on straightdope.com in 2004 comes from a personal website that's no longer in existence.

Once roster limits became a permanent part of Major League Baseball, a need developed to allow teams to temporarily replace injured players without exceeding the limits. In July 1915, the National League created a Disabled List. Teams were permitted to place an injured player on this list for a period of at least ten days. This allowed the team to remove the player from their active roster without having to release him or sell him to another club. They could then add another player to their active roster until the injury had healed. This rule lasted only through the 1916 season, and wasn't revived until 1941. At that time, both leagues adopted a new disabled list rule, with each team being allowed to place two players on a DL as long as it was done before August 1 and the injured player remained on the list for at least 60 days. In 1949, the minimum stay was shortened to 30 days.

A 60 day "emergency" list was added in 1960, which required the permission of the Commissioner to use. Players on the sixty day list do not count against either the 25 or 40 man rosters. In 1966, the required stay on the regular DL was shortened again to 15 days, but a year later was increased to 21 days. A more liberal change was implemented in 1971, with teams now allowed to put a player (pitchers not included) on a 'supplemental" 15 day DL in addition to the two player limit on the 21 day list. In 1973, a maximum of three players could be put on the 21 day list .

Beginning in 1981, there were four disabled lists: the regular 21 day list with a 3-player limit, the 15 day "supplemental" list for one non-pitcher, a new "special" 21 day list to be used when the prior two were full, and the "emergency" 60 day list. In 1984, the "special" list was changed to require a minimum 30 day stay and the supplemental list was increased to allow two players, including one pitcher. In 1990, the rules were changed once again. From then on, there were only two DL's, a fifteen day and a sixty day list. There were no limits on the number of players that could be placed on these lists. However, the 40 man roster had to be full before the sixty day list could be utilized.

Of course, this has the same citation issues as Wikipedia, but it seems to coincide with my understanding of the history at least a little bit: the 21 day list being dominant for a long time after replacing a 30 day list, with the 15 day list taking over in the past couple of decades. We need someone like JohnBriggs12 to chime in here. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Craig Counsell now the only backup infielder for the next week without a roster move.

Except that his is starting with McGehee's thumb injury. Emergency 3B has to be Braun (Counsell moving to SS or 2B). Kotsay or Hart could backup at 1B.

Unless McGehee only needed one night off, I'd be surprised if they didn't call up Gamel or someone for short term...

I don't like seeing guys get hurt, but I wouldn't be sad if this ended up being the end of Almonte's days as a Brewer. Just don't like seeing him play as he doesn't seem to bring anything to the table offensively or defensively.

McGehee should be playing today, and Hart is now back. The team will be fine.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't like seeing guys get hurt, but I wouldn't be sad if this ended up being the end of Almonte's days as a Brewer. Just don't like seeing him play as he doesn't seem to bring anything to the table offensively or defensively.

McGehee should be playing today, and Hart is now back. The team will be fine.

It's always a nice story when a career minor leaguer like Almonte fights his way into the majors in his 30's. The success rate for such guys isn't all that good (see Jim Rushford). Part of that is they don't have any margin for error. If they don't hit right away, they become expendable. But they can take pride in having made it though.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe Almonte should just stay off the field... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Brewers INF/OF Erick Almonte (concussion) was hit in the cheek when a ball deflected off his glove before batting practice. Almonte said he wasn't dizzy from the second head hit, but was expected to see the doctor again.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brewers INF/OF Erick Almonte (concussion) was hit in the cheek when a ball deflected off his glove before batting practice. Almonte said he wasn't dizzy from the second head hit, but was expected to see the doctor again.

Obviously, it could happen to anyone, but if he was reaching out to catch a ball and miss-judged it, it makes you wonder if his depth perception/ hand-eye coordination is back to 100%...

Sounds like Almonte is going to head to AZ to get some ABs. There's no way that we actually bring him back to Milwaukee once he's healthy is there? There literally hasn't been one time since he's been gone that I've thought "could really use Almonte here." Especially now that Corey is back. Someone tell me i'm getting nervous about nothing.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

The only reason they could possibly bring him back is his "defensive flexibility." It's hard to use that as a reason though considering he didn't play in the infield (that I can remember) when he was here other than maybe 1st base and he's a crappy defender anyways, so I'd rather have him not playing the field.

So yeah, DFA him and DFA Nieves when Morgan is ready to come back hopefully.

Archived