Brewer Fanatic

Prince positioning cover 1st

pmallon

When there is a runner on 1st base Prince stands a couple of feet on of the base. If there is a throw to first he has to spin around to his glove side to apply the tag. I can't figure out for the life of me why he takes this position or why the coaching staff has not corrected this with him. The further he stands away from the base the further the runner can also get off of the base. I might understand it a little if there was a left handed batter up but he does it all the time. The brewers will never has a pick off at first as long as Prince stands this way. If anyone out there can justify why he does this I would love to hear it

Well if he stands right on first it opens up a huge hole in the infield and if he stands in fielding position he can't hold the runner on so he stands some where in between
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

It actually allows for his glove to be closer to the base (as a righty) and allows him to cover more ground so it is a win-win. If the pitcher throws the ball directly at the bag Prince can (in theory) let the ball cross his body and catch it right on the base (similar to a lefty in the standard positioning), which righties cannot do with the standard runner holding positioning.

How does it allow his glove to be closer to the base? He stands with his chest towards the pitcher and has to make a 180 degree turn in order to apply the tag. As far as opening up a big hole, like I said I understand a left handed hitter but why not play on the base with a right handed guy up? To me the amount of balls that are hit to him over the course of a year does not warrant the extra lead a runner can take when he is positioned this way. It gives them the extra step to steal, score from 1st on a double, or go 1st to 3rd on a single. The vast majority of time those plays are bang bang and allowing an extra couple of feet makes no sense.

He has to turn if the throw is at his body but not if the throw is right at the base, which is the only way you will pick someone off anyways. He can field a pickoff throw in the same way a 2nd baseman fields a throw from left field, let it cross his body and catch it right on the base.

He has to turn if the throw is at his body but not if the throw is right at the base, which is the only way you will pick someone off anyways. He can field a pickoff throw in the same way a 2nd baseman fields a throw from left field, let it cross his body and catch it right on the base.
This may be true, but I have yet to see Prince do that. He tends to shuffle his body and then try to spin and make a backhand tag, instead of just lowering his glove and accepting the throw right at 1B.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived