Brewer Fanatic

Crowd boos when pitcher throws to first....

Nottso
This is something I've often wondered about, and bombers' thread about the snap throw drug it up out of the mist. I can't understand why the crowd boos when the pitcher throws to first more than once. It's part of the game, so why the boos?

About 95 percent of the time (totally making that number up) the throw to first doesn't have a shot of getting an out. Most fans don't realize that pickoffs have value in throwing off the rhythm of the runner, hitter and things of that nature. To the average fan it is probably a representation of something that slows down the game even more.

My guess is those who boo don't realize it's part of the game.
My guess is that while they understand it's part of the game, they don't like that part of the game. The largest criticism about baseball is probably its pace, so watching a pitcher throws over to first three times in an AB, when the runner has a one step lead might annoy some (me!).

I have many pet peeves in baseball, this being one of them. The other is people sitting where there is no way they can tell if a pitch is a ball or strike and still complain about it. Also, when people cheer every routine fly out like it's a home run when it's hit.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Community Moderator
I think the home crowd should boo more when the opposing pitcher throws to first. It seems like they stop throwing over when the crowd starts to get impatient. The fans do not have much influence in baseball but it is a chance for them to try and rush the pitcher into throwing some pitches when he is trying to delay things or slow the game down.

I don't have a problem with fans booing the repeated throws over to first base. I understand it is part of the game, but it is an annoying part of the game that impedes the flow of the game. (Of course, that's the point.) It sure beats some of the other reasons fans find to boo such as the decision by some fans over the weekend to boo Billy Hall and Carlos Lee while the Astros were in town.

My guess is those who boo don't realize it's part of the game.
I think the boos are actually part of the game too. People just do that out of habit and fun. These are not Jeff Suppan type boos. It's more of a mock displeasure with the other team doing something we all know is part of the game. Same as booing an intentional walk of your best player and then cheering as he goes to first. I don't find anything wrong with it and I actually think it adds to the fun of being at a game.

When I'm at the stadium I boo the opposing pitcher for doing this, but not the pitcher on my team. It's simple: you want to rattle him.

It's the same reason I will respectfully tell an ump or referee when he makes a bad call in a game in which I am playing. Even if he's right, I want to throw him off.

My biggest peeve is booing former players. When Carlos Lee was on the team he was loved, and many fans were upset that we didn't pony up for his contract. While Bill Hall didn't leave town on a high note, fans were relieved to have him off the team, so why boo him when he comes back? When Brady Clark came back with the Dodgers, he got booed, but he was never a superstar or a terrible player, just a middle line guy.

There's basically no criteria, except that if your on a team, you'll be booed. Drives me nuts. I wonder what reception Sabathia will get next time he pitches at Miller Park.

I've always thought people boo because they consider the pitcher "afraid" to pitch to the batter or afraid of the runner stealing, and thus keep making pickoff attempts.

Never fully understood it though. I consider a pitcher that makes multiple pickoff attempts to be really out of rhythm and thus the hitting team at advantage anyway...

That's funny, this has been a huge pet peeve of mine. If they're going to boo it, they should probably boo when we throw over

Probably the biggest pet peeve I have at baseball games. One of my friends and I argue about this a lot. He thinks it is fun. I think it is ridiculous

Answer (personally): Because when the pitcher throws over to first it means he's thinking about the runner, so why not augment that by booing, give him another thing to think about besides the hitter?
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I've heard it suggested that there should be a line fairly close first base but towards 2B. If the runner does not cross that line, the pitcher can't throw over to 1B. I know, it will never happen though, since baseball is the only sport that has already optimized all it's rules. Ahhhh, the perfect game.

My pet peeve at the game is when I hear the guy behind me say something like, "Suppan sucks. I could pitch better than him." No, you can't. You have a 46 inch waist and I saw how out of breath you were walking up 20 stairs.

My pet peeve at the game is when I hear the guy behind me say something like, "Suppan sucks. I could pitch better than him." No, you can't. You have a 46 inch waist and I saw how out of breath you were walking up 20 stairs.
This is true 99% of the time but I do honestly think I have a better arm than Prince Fielder, at least in terms of accuracy.

Yeah, my son and I can never understand the booing on this ether. My son always mocks the people booing.."Booo...he's doing something completly legal that is part of the game...booo"

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived