Brewer Fanatic

Gabe Gross Retires

jjkoestler

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So, was trading Josh Butler for Gabe Gross worth it?

Gross was decent for 2008, but not for 2009-2010. Obviously Butler is looking more and more like a bust (although still has a chance and showed some promise at times).

I seem to remember having OFer problems in '08 when Gross would have been useful...

big Gabe Gross fan. Was really disappointed when we traded him in '08, as I thought he would be a perfect platoon partner for Corey. Felt less bad about it after seeing him struggle so much after we cut him loose. I'll have to dust off the '08 game worn jersey I got at the clubhouse sale in his honor tonight.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Gross was always vastly overrated by some on this board. He couldn't hit LH pitching at all and his split even vs. RH pitching weren't astounding. He was just a worse version of Kevin Mench.

So was Keith Ginter......

and Dickerson.....

and Brady Clark.....

Heck, i wasn't here when we had Paul Bako, but i bet he was loved too(for the record, i was a huge Ginter follower). It's just the way fans are. We latch on to certain players for whatever reason and overvalue them because they wear the jersey of our favorite team.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Bernie, I always think of those guys along with Gross whenever I see the dire predicitions and lamenting of loss for such great talents when they get cut or traded. I can't think of any pitchers off the top of my head that fall into that camp though. I know there was that pick up from Philly a couple years ago that had the real slow curveball that had done well in low minors and independant league but nothing at the ML level that some hopes were pinned on and a few posts about why let him go but other than that I can't remember a pitcher getting the man crush beyond his abilities like those guys. Maybe DeFelice?

I, for one, long for the Brady Clark and Scotty Po days...a much simpler time here on BF.net.

back when one could eat a grilled cheese and watch the brewers win in 16 inning, on a west coast night game, knowing the people in the IGT probably made up 1/2 the veiwership on FSN. Or talk about how Adrian Hernandez could help the club. How far we have come.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

"back when one could eat a grilled cheese and watch the brewers win in 16 inning, on a west coast night game, knowing the people in the IGT probably made up 1/2 the veiwership on FSN. Or talk about how Adrian Hernandez could help the club. How far we have come."

Bernie...that was the greatest night/early morning of baseball; ever.

Remember when the chatroom first came on the scene? It could be magic some nights.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Chuckie hacks on 2-0

I thought it was 2-0, but couldn't remember exactly. Did a web search and first one was "3-0", so I went with it. And who else but chuckiehacks corrects me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Gross was always vastly overrated by some on this board. He couldn't hit LH pitching at all and his split even vs. RH pitching weren't astounding.

I completely agree with you. He was a decent player, but for some reason players of his ilk tend to get vastly overvalued by some. Same with Dickerson.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Gabe Gross' 2006 numbers:

BA OBP SLG OPS

.274 .382 .476 .857

Those are not the numbers of an overrated player. He was extremely valuable, and he earned his rabid Brewerfan love. He may only have been a role player, but he played his particular role very well. I'd love to have a player with his bat on the current team's bench.

Too bad he never put up a line like that again.

BA OBP SLG OPS

.274 .382 .476 .857

Those are not the numbers of an overrated player. He was extremely valuable, and he earned his rabid Brewerfan love. He may only have been a role player, but he played his particular role very well. I'd love to have a player with his bat on the current team's bench.

In 208 At Bats it is.

And we do have a role player like Gross. He's named Mark Kotsay. Not sure why one is revered and the other reviled, but the two are very similar offensively.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

BA OBP SLG OPS

.274 .382 .476 .857

You are right, but these are:

.239/.330/.385/.716

He was valuable for 1 of the 7 years of his career. That's like saying Billy Hall earned a rabid fan love because of his one two good years as well(3 if you want to count last year in boston). The difference is Doug knew when to cut ties with Gabe. Had he kept him, nobody would defend him right now.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived