Brewer Fanatic

Peter Gammons has gone senile...

I was listening to 670 the Score in Chicago this morning - Peter Gammons was giving his weekly baseball "expert" update on all things Cubs and White Sox, but in his update on all things MLB, the topic of Fielder's upcoming free agency came up. I can't quote him directly, but I know he said this:

"40-HR guys post steroids don't come around often...Fielder is a GREAT defensive first baseman..."

He also talked about how Braun's contract signaled the end of Fielder in Milwaukee after this season.

How silly, uninformed, and ignorant are national baseball people when it comes to small/mid-market teams? Fielder's days in Milwaukee have been numbered since he turned down the Brewers' extension offer last year, and I can't believe anybody can call him a great defensive player without being struck by lightening. Fielder's probably one of the 5 worst defensive players in all of baseball without even factoring in the position he plays.

Do this many people in baseball actually believe he's a good defender? If they do, then he's definitely going to get extremely overpaid. Apparently they've never actually watched him play first base. Most days he looks serviceable over there, but there's plenty of times where he looks absolutely horrible. He isn't gonna last at first base for very long. An NL team will be sorry if they sign him and 4 or 5 years down the road when he can't field at all, and they are still paying him $23 million a year. Honestly, I wouldn't give him anything beyond a 5-year deal, and 4 years is probably even better. An AL team could stretch that because of the availability of the DH.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Wish this over-valuing had begun before we were shopping him
Yeah, that would've been nice. Apparently a good start with the bat makes him an all-around good player, and an excellent fielder.
Kind of like being a big name in a big market nets you gold gloves. Not that I value those, just sayin

They said on Baseball Tonight that Fielder/Boros are looking for 8 years 200M.

Should be interesting to see what he ends up getting after what I expect to be a very good season in 2011.

Isn't that what Pujols wants also? If Pujols somehow gets that, I don't see Fielder equally it. However, if Prince keeps up his huge year, I could see someone coming close to that.

Gammons went on to say the the troubles for teams like the Dodgers and the Mets might be good for teams like the Brewers but it's bad for baseball in general.

That's the prevailing view of the national media types. Anything good for teams like the Brewers, Royals, Padres etc. somehow isn't good for baseball?

That's the difference between the NFL and MLB right there. The prevailing theory in the NFL is that your league is only as good as it's weakest team. The game itself is entertaining enough to transcend market size. The MLB types want all the focus on the major markets. That implies that the game itself isn't compelling enough.

Should be interesting to see what he ends up getting after what I expect to be a very good season in 2011.

Isn't that what Pujols wants also? If Pujols somehow gets that, I don't see Fielder equally it. However, if Prince keeps up his huge year, I could see someone coming close to that.
Pujols wants 10 years 300 million. Last I heard.

The problem is Ryan Howard's deal. Compared to Howard Fielder is a decent defensive player. But that isn't saying much. But if the "premiere 1B" Ryan Howard is getting $20+ million a year and Fielder is better than him, well ...

Pujols wants 10 years 300 million. Last I heard.
Oh yeah, I think you're right. Maybe 8 years 200 million is the highest he was getting offered. I can't remember exactly.

Fielder is a GREAT defensive first baseman..."

Funketown pointed out a couple of days ago that Tim Kurkjian categorized Prince as "a good athlete, above average defensively and a decent runner." Something must be in the water in Bristol.

Every player — even Fielder — is capable of a web gem play on occasion. But memorable plays don't suddenly make a player good defensively.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Fielder has good feet and he's quick than you'd think but he's not a good fielder. I suppose if he just had to get to the base he'd be a good defensive player but he has to catch and scoop the ball too.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Fielder is a GREAT defensive first baseman..."

Funketown pointed out a couple of days ago that Tim Kurkjian categorized Prince as "a good athlete, above average defensively and a decent runner." Something must be in the water in Bristol.

Every player — even Fielder — is capable of a web gem play on occasion. But memorable plays don't suddenly make a player good defensively.

To be fair, he is a pretty decent runner and a good athlete.

Don't ever blaspheme Gammo.

I don't always agree with him, but he's a legend who has been great for the game--and he continues to provide thoughtful reporting and insight.

Yeah, I agree. He's not the only one who for some reason thinks Prince is good in the field. There's no doubt Prince is a great player, a good athlete, and can run decently for his size. He puts it all on the line out on the diamond. He just isn't a good fielder overall. Not sure why most writers seem to think he is, but it is what it is. I would think that most teams can make their own assumptions on his abilities, but you'd have to think what analysts and writers say does have some bearing on how other teams view him.

If Vegas has bets on who wins gold gloves, I might need to put some money on Fielder after all this hype starting up. That combined with a great offensive year, might get him one...
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Don't ever blaspheme Gammo.

I don't always agree with him, but he's a legend who has been great for the game--and he continues to provide thoughtful reporting and insight.

There is no question. Taking care of the Brits in the Battle of New Orleans and his subsequent rulings in the Black Sox scandel of 1919 have cemented his place in history.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Also, the cynic in me says that this is Boras' doings. Basically it's a deal where if you are a reporter who says nice things about his clients, he'll give you inside information about future negotiations, etc.

Never underestimate just how many reporters' ears Scott Boras has.

Boras is the same guy who showed up to the winter meetings a couple years ago with a book of stats favorably comparing Johnny Damon to Rickey Henderson. The guy is good at spinning his clients in a positive light.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't think all of this defensive hype has much impact on how GMs value Prince Fielder, but if it even has a little impact on his apparent trade value, then it's a good thing if the Brewers are out of contention at the trade deadline. Really any positive publicity for Prince is a good thing for the Brewers since we're not going to resign him.

Archived