Brewer Fanatic

Where does Braun's deal leave Greinke and Marcum?

paul253

Braun also has a fair amount of deferred money, so his contract should have less effect on the team's ability to sign other players to extensions. Per Adam McCalvy's blog:

Braun’s extension covers 2016-20 and includes salaries of $19 million

from 2016-18, of which $4 million is deferred with no interest each

season; $18 million in 2019, of which $3 million is deferred; and $16

million in 2020, of which $3 million is deferred.

So in essence we will be paying Braun $15 million from 2016-2018, which leaves a little more cushion in the budget.

according to Tom H, Marcum was sicker than a dog last night.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Last night I was watching the game and after a 1-2-3 inning (I think the 6th?) they showed Marcum walking off the mound with an absolutely wretched look on his face. Couldn't figure out why his body language sucked after such a dominant inning, but illness would make sense.

You have to look at the human element in all this. What I mean is that Greinke marches to the beat of a different drummer, to say the least (not making fun of him, at all, but lets just just say he's not your typical pro athlete in terms of his mindset and personality). Lets first let him pitch a few games as a Brewer and see how he likes it before we talk about extending him

By backloading Braun's contract, the money is there. Let these guys be Brewers for half a season or so first

I was also thinking of this from the other side of the "marches to a different drummer" coin. To Greinke, the thought of being "locked in" someplace for 6 or 7 years may be unbearable. Perhaps he'd be more comfortable with a shorter deal. Pure speculation on my part, but something to wonder about.

Archived