Brewer Fanatic

Hawkins activated, Kottaras outrighted, McClendon optioned; Morgan DL'd, Boggs' contract purchased

Tbadder
It's official: Morgan placed on the DL retroactive to the 18th & Boggs' contract purchased.
if you're brandon boggs, nothing's official until the paperwork is completed. he was told he would make the team out of spring training, only to have newly acquired nyjer morgan derail those plans.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, hopefully we dump Almonte when Hart returns in the next few days. Then when Plush returns it'll be a choice between Boggs and Kotsay, and I think we all already know what the result of that decision will be, regardless of any numbers Boggs puts up...
No, because we are carrying 13 pitchers. A pitcher will go when Hart is activated. Then either Boggs or Almonte will go when Morgan comes back.
So, you're saying we're going to carry six outfielders? I find that pretty hard to believe.
Well, we really don't have a better option at this point. Unless we find an actual decent backup infielder. I don't put Almonte in that category.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It's official: Morgan placed on the DL retroactive to the 18th & Boggs' contract purchased.
if you're brandon boggs, nothing's official until the paperwork is completed. he was told he would make the team out of spring training, only to have newly acquired nyjer morgan derail those plans.
It is official. It was announced after the Nashville game last night. He is currently listed on the roster on the Brewers website also.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Really? Prove this to me. I'm open to changing my mind but nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I have seen the first two weeks makes me believe that Nieves deserves a spot on any roster in MLB. He is an average catcher and he is a horrible hitter. Kottaras may be just average at hitting, but he isn't horrible catching. That's enough of a difference to keep Kottaras.

Proof of catchers defense is impossible but when all other teams deem his less useful than their backup catcher it should tell you something. It may not if he was old or on his last year in the organization but this is a cheap player who would be under a team's control for a couple more years at the least. That a rebuilding team with budget constraints didn't take a shot on him should be even more telling of his catching ability. I did think he improved behind the plate this season. He may even become a viable option down the road but at this point I'll take the good defensive catcher who can also help a young developing Lucroy with that side of the game.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm generally not in favor of moves made just so you can keep a guy (especially a non-prospect backup). I'd much rather have the best big league roster in a year that we are "going for it". In fairness, I have been impressed by how nimble and quick Nieves's feet are behind the plate. This is nowhere near better enough to make up the difference between his and Kottaras's bat.

Well this could also be a cost cutting move. Kottaras's contract might have a lower pay amount if in the minors while Nieves was guaranteed his $700K.

Guess we needed some extra money to give Braun a $10m bonus.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived