Brewer Fanatic

Hawkins activated, Kottaras outrighted, McClendon optioned; Morgan DL'd, Boggs' contract purchased

Tbadder

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McClendon went down too so they have an extra spot on their 25 man right? hmmmmmm...
Yeah, I don't understand why they didn't wait until after Friday's game to option McClendon since Marcum won't need to be activated off the bereavement list until his Saturday start. Perhaps something else is in the works.

Why? I mean seriously...why? I want Melvin or Roenicke to have to sit in front of a camera or reporter and explain to me why keeping Nieves instead of Kottaras is a logical move without using the words "veteran" or "experience." We already have a right-handed catcher, and the only reason they could possibly give me that makes any sense is defense, but being a AA hitter more than cancels that out. To me this is just indefensible, and will add to the serious problem of the black hole at the bottom of our lineup whenever he starts.
I am not Shea Vucinich

I'll never understand the Kottaras love around here. The gap between Nieves and Kottaras' defense is far greater than the gap between their offensive production. And catcher is only the most important defensive position on the field. People act like we just sent Mike Napoli down or something.

This is a meh decision.

LuCroy will play 4 out of 5 games anyways. Nieves can't hit so him only playing every 5-6 days can't make him any worse. Kottaras probably needs some more regular at bats. The back up catcher never pinch hits either so the lack of offense doesn't bother me. Even in his very limited playing time this year, Nieves has done "alright" with the bat. A .700 OPS would be good enough for me out of the backup catcher; heck if manages .650 over the course of the year I would be fine. Besides its not like Kottaras has proven to be a good hitter anways. He has more potential but we haven't seen the results.

Hawkins up and McClendon down is a no brainer that is fine decision.

Working hypothesis: Brandon Boggs' contract will be purchased and Nyjer Morgan will be put on the DL on Saturday to make room for Marcum. Or Erick Almonte will be DFA'd to make room for Marcum. Either way, I can't see them playing tomorrow's game with a 24-man roster.

Working hypothesis: Brandon Boggs' contract will be purchased and Nyjer Morgan will be put on the DL on Saturday to make room for Marcum. Or Erick Almonte will be DFA'd to make room for Marcum. Either way, I can't see them playing tomorrow's game with a 24-man roster.
Right now they have room for Marcum, they just got rid of 2 players (Kot, McClendon) and added 1 (Hawkins)

Right now they have room for Marcum, they just got rid of 2 players (Kot, McClendon) and added 1 (Hawkins)
I am aware that they have room for Marcum. The problem is that Marcum isn't going to pitch until Saturday and there's no point in getting rid of a useful reliever for Friday's game unless you're giving his spot to someone else.

This is the right move. Come October, I would rather have Nieves than Kottaras as my backup catcher. I don't trust Kottaras in a pennant race. I can just picture a lead off walk in the 9th inning of a one run game in the middle of a pennant race costing us the playoffs because Kottaras doesn't have an arm.

I'll never understand the Kottaras love around here. The gap between Nieves and Kottaras' defense is far greater than the gap between their offensive production. And catcher is only the most important defensive position on the field. People act like we just sent Mike Napoli down or something.
Really? Prove this to me. I'm open to changing my mind but nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I have seen the first two weeks makes me believe that Nieves deserves a spot on any roster in MLB. He is an average catcher and he is a horrible hitter. Kottaras may be just average at hitting, but he isn't horrible catching. That's enough of a difference to keep Kottaras.

Well, can't say we all didn't see this coming. Bad decision in my opinion, but in my opinion neither player was that great anyway. Nieves will play once every 5 games at most. Kottaras is clearly a better hitter, but we all knew they wanted Nieves for some reason. I don't think Nieves is a good defensive catcher, but Roenicke and Melvin apparently do. Either way, I don't think it'll matter that much. It's a backup catcher, it is what it is. The thing that makes no sense, is why we sent down McClendon already when Marcum doesn't pitch until Saturday. The only thing I can think is that Marcum has to be activated to be able to join the team off the bereavement list, and they wanted him with the team earlier than Saturday. Otherwise, I have no idea. I guess they couldn't decided what other pitcher to demote right now. Probably because Kintzler has pitched well lately. Although, he might go down when Hart is activated.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Really? Prove this to me. I'm open to changing my mind but nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I have seen the first two weeks makes me believe that Nieves deserves a spot on any roster in MLB. He is an average catcher and he is a horrible hitter. Kottaras may be just average at hitting, but he isn't horrible catching. That's enough of a difference to keep Kottaras.

It cannot be proven using numbers. Hard to believe, I know, but sometimes you just have to trust the eyes and opinions of pretty much every GM and coach in MLB. Neither one of these players is going to win you ballgames with their bat. However, Kottaras has the (dis)ability to lose you more games than Nieves behind the plate.

I can't get to worked up over who they choose to keep as a backup catcher. I've seen enough PB get by Kottaras and combined with his average arm, it's not hard to understand why he wasn't chosen. I haven't seen enough of Nieves to form an opinion on whether or not he is any better, but apparently Roenicke has. For a backup catcher, I'd rather have defense and any offense is a bonus. If Nieves turns out to be a disaster on defense, they can always recall Kottaras or someone else.

The day Roenicke was hired, he said he liked having a veteran backup catcher. The next day, Nieves was signed. While I dislike keeping Nieves over Kottaras, I am not surprised by the decision.

It is interesting that they made the move now, since Marcum has to be on the bereivement list for three days, and they could leave him there until his next start. It does seem like another move may be coming. I'm assuming that Farris is playing SS in AAA so that he will eventually take Almonte's spot. Has he "proven" he can play SS well enough for the Brewers to bring him up as a utility IF / RH bat off the bench? Then we could dump Almonte or place Morgan on the DL when Marcum's back. Hart should be ready shortly, so Almonte really isn't needed anymore if someone like Farris is on the team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Will Nieves is 33 and this is his career line: 790 PA, .227/.275/.298 = .573 OPS+ = 54. He was actually worse that this last season. His career caught stealing % is 25%, and he has allowed 77 PB + WP in 1826 Inn., about 4 every 100 innings.

George Kottaras will be 28 this season with 391 PA, .217/.305/.398 = .692 OPS+ = 84. He was better than that last season. His career caught stealing % is 17% and he has allowed 48 PB + WP in 855.1 Inn, about 5 every 100 innings.

Archived