Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun signs extension thru 2020; 5yrs/$105MM [Latest: $18MM deferred]

Invader3K

I admit Braun isn't one of my favorite Brewers. Weeks and Hart are. If you look I picked Braun over Fielder in the other thread. I thnk for the most part I have stayed pretty consistent with how I jusdge players. If you check you will see I also didn't like the Hart deal. Braun's bat sin't replaceable but if his hitting declines a guy with a lesser bat and average or better defense could have made up for most of what we would lose in Braun.

My response to this contract should have been 100% predictable.(spelling errors aside)

I wouldn't mind if the Brewers locked up Braun for longer before his current deal is up. But I am a mega Braun homer. To be he is the franchise and I hope to put him in the class of Yount one day as a lifetime HOF Brewer.
If Braun was a SS I might agree. As it is, he is a crappy defender in LF. No reason to sign a guy into his 30's unless he can pay good defense or you are an AL team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I admit Braun isn't one of my favorite Brewers. Weeks and Hart are. If you look I picked Braun over Fielder in the other thread. I thnk for the most part I have stayed pretty consistent with how I jusdge players. If you check you will see I also didn't like the Hart deal. Braun's bat sin't replaceable but if his hitting declines a guy with a lesser bat and average or better defense could have made up for most of what we would lose in Braun.

My response to this contract should have been 100% predictable.(spelling errors aside)

If Braun was a SS I might agree. As it is, he is a crappy defender in LF. No reason to sign a guy into his 30's unless he can pay good defense or you are an AL team.
I knew you werent a Braun guy. I have read your posts about him in a lot of threads. I was just wondering why you dont seem to be a fan of his. Is it personality? Because his bat is great and getting better. It cant be fielding because Weeks and Hart are not great defenders. Braun loves Milwaukee. I am not saying you have to love him, just wondering what your deal with him is?

I think if you take off your overall dislike for him I think you have to admit if you factor in injuries and ballpark he and Tulo are very comparable

There is no "deal" with Braun. I just don't love him as much as everybody else. I am not sure why that is a problem. I am not going around saying things like "I think if you put aside your love of Braun you will see that Tulo is clearly the better player." I think that would be a ridiculous argument. I think I gave a very fair honest assement of Braun. Great bat, horrible defense.

Tulo's bat for a SS is special. Brauns bat for a LF is special. Tulo plays average or better defense at a tougher defensive position. Braun plays bad defense compared to a group of bad defenders. If Braun can at some point play average or better defense I will change my opinion.

I blame Wang.

Can whoever it is that occasionally alters pictures/graphics, alter a Miller park image to show Braun's name and number next to the Yount19 and Molitor 4? Just for a sneek preview of 2022.

There is no "deal" with Braun. I just don't love him as much as everybody else. I am not sure why that is a problem. I am not going around saying things like "I think if you put aside your love of Braun you will see that Tulo is clearly the better player." I think that would be a ridiculous argument. I think I gave a very fair honest assement of Braun. Great bat, horrible defense.

Tulo's bat for a SS is special. Brauns bat for a LF is special. Tulo plays average or better defense at a tougher defensive position. Braun plays bad defense compared to a group of bad defenders. If Braun can at some point play average or better defense I will change my opinion.

I think 30 extra games of Braun's special bat is worth quite a bit. I also think that Tulo's numbers are inflated because of where he plays. His splits show that. Braun's numbers at Coor's could be crazy. It is not my love for Braun that is clouding my vision when looking at those facts. Tulo is a far superior defender, but he has missed considerable playing time, and he plays in a hitter friendly park that make. From 2008 to 2010 Braun's road splits are much better than Tulo's. His OPS is .901 and Tulo's is .832.

When you factor in a road OPS that is 70 points higher and the injury issues (which a big part of the game) there is no way you can convince Tulo is clearly better. When healthy and playing in their home ballparks sure I guess, but when you look deeper it is not at all as you make it seem

If Braun played in Coors he'd have at least one MVP already though his defense in LF would look much worse in that park. That is a great park for infielders but it is a nightmare for outfielders.

If Braun played in Coors he'd have at least one MVP already though his defense in LF would look much worse in that park. That is a great park for infielders but it is a nightmare for outfielders.
That is an interesting point about his defense being worse in Coors. I think the increase in his bat would make up for the decrease in his defense.

I think 30 extra games of Braun's special bat is worth quite a bit. I also think that Tulo's numbers are inflated because of where he plays. His splits show that. Braun's numbers at Coor's could be crazy. It is not my love for Braun that is clouding my vision when looking at those facts. Tulo is a far superior defender, but he has missed considerable playing time, and he plays in a hitter friendly park that make. From 2008 to 2010 Braun's road splits are much better than Tulo's. His OPS is .901 and Tulo's is .832.

When you factor in a road OPS that is 70 points higher and the injury issues (which a big part of the game) there is no way you can convince Tulo is clearly better. When healthy and playing in their home ballparks sure I guess, but when you look deeper it is not at all as you make it seem

That is fine. I disagree.

I wish you had posted this first instead of going for the "if you weren't so biased you would agree with me" angle.

I blame Wang.

I wish you had posted this first instead of going for the "if you weren't so biased you would agree with me" angle.

Dont know what you are trying to get at with that comment. I asked you why you were not a Braun fan because I have seen it in other threads and I was wondering. Your comments about how much better Tulo was than Braun were over the top in my mind and I wondered if part of that had to do with you not liking Braun for some reason because the numbers dont seem to back up the discrepancy you think there is between the two. You told that your feeling about Braun had nothing to do with that and I believe you.

Back to the contract. I am nervous about the length and excited to have Braun here for a long time. Barring an injury I think it is a good deal for both sides. If there is an injury than this will definitely hurt.

How useful are park factors? I know they can also be influenced by the talent of your players. Probably why Miller Park has been mostly neutral since we started having better teams. Braun plays a good portion of his road games in netral or hitters parks while Colorado players play a good amount of their road games in Pitchers parks.

I blame Wang.

WAR is park adjusted offensively. Tulo's last two seasons were 5.7 and 6.4 WAR. Braun's best season (2009) was 4.9 thus far.

wRAA (park adjusted Runs above average -- which is based on wOBA) last two seasons for Tulo: 33.4, 37.1 Braun: 44.8, 32.4

His bat is great, but he's playing a position (poorly) where there are a lot of great bats. Tulo is playing a position (extremely well) where there are no good bats.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

This thread is giving me a headache. The argument Braun isn't worth his contract because Tulo might be better is making my head spin. Braun and Tulo are probably both Top-10 players in all of baseball. I'm just glad we have Braun for his whole career, and TWO top-10 hitters in baseball right now. Now if we can just get a shortstop.

I don't think he went with that angle whatsoever, I think he asked why you're not as big of a fan of Braun, what about him don't you like. A very fair question when you cite Corey Hart as one of your favorite players.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived