Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun signs extension thru 2020; 5yrs/$105MM [Latest: $18MM deferred]

Invader3K
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greatest thing you can hear from a player that you just signed until 2020:

"I think I'm getting better," Braun said. "The biggest thing is plate discipline, not just swinging at strikes but swinging at strikes that I can do something with. The at-bat that I hit a home run, 2-1, he (Astros starter Nelson Figueroa) made a great pitch.

"He threw me a fastball down and away on the black. If I would have swung at that pitch, I probably would have ground into a double play, but I had the discipline to take that pitch. And the next pitch, he made a mistake and I was able to do some damage."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html

Yeah, love to hear that comment from Braun. It sure seems like his approach is better this year, and this frame of mind is why. Braun is gonna have a monster year, and will be a star for us for years to come. It's gonna be fun to watch him play here for his whole career. It's a great feeling knowing that he'll be here.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

With the deferrals, Braun's year-to-year payroll hit will be 15-15-15-15-13 through the 5 guaranteed years. $18 million would be deferred, which would mean $2 million payments to Braun every year from 2022-2031. Seems like a lot now, but $2 million in 20 years might be nothing, considering inflation.
I misplaced the link last night, but additionally, Ryan's signing bonus will be split into equal payments made in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

That would make the annual obligations during the playing portion of his contract look like this:

• 2012: $8.5 million
  • 2013: $11 million
  • 2014: $12.5 million
  • 2015: $14.5 million
  • 2016: $15 million
  • 2017: $15 million
  • 2018: $15 million
  • 2019: $15 million
  • 2020: $13 million

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The interest-free deferred money makes this a fantastic deal for the team and appears to be the key as to why this deal could happen. It will allow for financial flexibility in the short- and long-terms and clearly demonstrates Braun's desire to be a Brewer and his commitment to winning.

I'm a big fan of this deal. I'm as fixated on age/decline as anybody, but Ryan Braun doesn't profile as a guy who will fall off at 32 or 33. Everyone's comments about inflation and interest are also very important. But here's another thing -- Braun honestly strikes me as the one guy we've had in my memory who has a chance to be the best hitter in baseball. I'm not saying he is, and I'm not saying he will be. But his ceiling, at age 27, remains exciting. Who else have we had who establishes himself as a .310 BA, 30 HR type player, and then -- then -- learns to draw walks? I think this deal is much more likely to be a bargain than an albatross.

I'm a big fan of this deal. I'm as fixated on age/decline as anybody, but Ryan Braun doesn't profile as a guy who will fall off at 32 or 33.
No one who falls off at 32 or 33 profiles that way, but pre-PED it happened all the time.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm a big fan of this deal. I'm as fixated on age/decline as anybody, but Ryan Braun doesn't profile as a guy who will fall off at 32 or 33.
No one who falls off at 32 or 33 profiles that way, but pre-PED it happened all the time.

Dont' want to take this thread too much off topic, but I have people say things like "Well, with all the money that is at stake, can you blame players for using PEDs?" Braun's contract got me thinking about other LT contracts. I started thinking about ARod. When did he sign that big contract with Texas and when was it reported that he first used PEDs? If the steroid era was all about making more money, why would a player continue to use PEDs after they have signed a LT contract that takes them close to the end of their career and pretty much secures them financially for the rest of there lives?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yes. Its not really that close. Tulo plays great defense and Braun plays horrible defense. Now you could argue that Tulo's bat is a Coor's phenomena but even if his road stats are his "true" talent then he is Braun's equal at least.

I disagree. Players with "old player skills" -- low BA, no speed, power, walks, poor defense or easier defensive position -- profile as types who will fall off in their early 30s. So do players with generally narrow skill sets who depend a lot on speed and quickness. So do players who are chronically injury prone. So do guys who, in their primes, are just good enough to play. These are generalizations, of course, but over time they're useful generalizations. Braun has a broad skill set, with a high BA and decent speed in addition to power and (now, apparently) patience. He's a great athlete, and he hasn't been hurt a lot. He's a much better bet to hold his value into his mid-30s than, to take a few easy examples, Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, or Casey McGehee.

Braun is a better hitter and has been healthier, Tulos plays good D and at a premium position. I agree that Tulo, if he can stay healthy, is a better overall player than Braun but the gap isn't nearly as wide as many in the Fangraphs community would think.

No, the gap is pretty huge. Tulo plays good defense at a premium position and hits nearly as well as Braun. Braun plays bad defense at a "get my bat in the order" position.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Tulo is definitely a more valuable player, because of the position he lays, and how well he plays it. There's really no arguing that. Braun is a great player too though, there's no doubt about that.
Braun is a great player, but Tulo could edge his way into the best player in the game conversation this season.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Braun is a great player, but Tulo could edge his way into the best player in the game conversation this season.

Unless you correct his stats for park factor since they have a slow infield and a big time hitters park which inflates his WAR on both sides of the equation. Tulo is more valuable than Braun but it isn't as big a gap as people tend to suggest. At least it isn't if Tulo goes back to his previous stat lines, if he continues to hit 7-14 HR every month that is a bit different story!

Tulo is basically the same hitter as Braun at home and 100 points of OPS worse than him on the road.

No, the gap is pretty huge. Tulo plays good defense at a premium position and hits nearly as well as Braun. Braun plays bad defense at a "get my bat in the order" position.
The gap is definitely NOT huge. Braun is a better hitter while playing in a park that is not a hitter's paradise. Last year was the first year Tulo put up better offensive numbers than Braun. Lets also put in the durability factor as Braun has played 92 more games than Tulo since he started playing in the majors. That is an average of 30 games a season that the Brewers have Braun and the Rockies dont have Tulo. That alone would seem to even out any defensive differences. Add the park difference and I dont think you can say the gap is huge.

I do want to ask a question and I am not trying act like you hate Braun, but why do you always seem to be negative about the guy in every thread pertaining to him? You seem to not be very high on the guy and I am not sure why.

Archived