Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun signs extension thru 2020; 5yrs/$105MM [Latest: $18MM deferred]

Invader3K
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Haudricourt

The five years, which run from 2016-2020, are worth $105 million. There is a $10 million signing bonus, with salaries of $19 million in 2016, 2017 and 2018, $18 million in 2019 and $16 million in 2020. There is a mutual option in 2021 worth up to $20 million with a $4 million buyout. It includes a no-trade provision and Braun agreed to defer some salary to help keep the team competitive.

The annual yearly value of $21 million is second-highest ever for an outfielder (after Manny Ramirez's last two-year deal with Dodgers).That's in addition to the $45 million, eight-year deal he signed in May 2008 -- still the largest deal ever (total and AAV) signed by a player with less than one year of service time.

Braun is now guaranteed $145.5 million from this season through the end of the extension.

Braun is one of the best hitters in the game without a doubt and I admire his commitment to Milwaukee but what is the rush from the team's point of view?
I really think it's a matter of getting long term cost certainty so that they can start considering offers for Greinke and Marcum. In addition, this potentially gives them an idea of who they can go after in the off-season, such as a potential upgrade at SS. It makes me wonder if this is any indication of their desire to go after a big time SS next year. Way to early to know.
Follow me on Twitter

Bravo! I was thinking about that the other night as Braun was off to a tear to start the 2011 season. Glad that this kills any speculation that Braun would get elsewhere later in his career. If we can get something done with Marcum and Greinke, and a few of our prospects pan out in the next 3-5 years, we should be very good for the foreseeable future

With wage inflation and performance, Braun could have been looking at $30Million a year for some of those years. $21MM a year in 5-8 years might be more like $15MM a year in today's terms.

I am sure the Cardinals would have like to extended Pujols a few years back at something like $25MM which people would have said was crazy but now that the time has rolled around wouldn't think twice about paying him $25MM a year for the next 3 or 4 years.

Braun is one of the best hitters in the game without a doubt and I admire his commitment to Milwaukee but what is the rush from the team's point of view?

That is what I was thinking. These will be Braun's age 31-36 seasons. Not really years I would want to pay much for.

The only thing I can think of is they know something about the next CBA we don't. Hopefully there will be some changes shrinking the gap between big market and small/mid market teams.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Don't like it at all. Completely unnecessary. The Brewers had arguably the most team-friendly contract in baseball and had to go and ruin it with a huge added risk. They should've just waited another couple of years before even thinking about this. Something could happen and the Brewers could be paying 1/5 of their payroll to a guy that isn't producing for years and years and years.

Don't like it at all. Completely unnecessary. The Brewers had arguably the most team-friendly contract in baseball and had to go and ruin it with a huge added risk. They should've just waited another couple of years before even thinking about this. Something could happen and the Brewers could be paying 1/5 of their payroll to a guy that isn't producing for years and years and years.

Or they could be paying a below market price for an elite hitter in that time

5-10 year from now, $19 Million a year will still be a bargain if he keeps up his current production. He sure as heck is worth $19 Million right now. He will be 36 when this is up which isn't an awful age. He could still be very productive into his Mid-30's.

Now we need to hope and pray that he stays healthy; $19 Million stuck on a 30+ year old inury prone outfielder would put the Crew in a horrible position.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To put it in perspective: Fielder will be asking for $20M+ per year starting 2012. Braun will max out $19M in 2016, 4 years later, then decrease every year. Sure, there is risk, but it really shows Braun's commitment to the Brewers long term.

Honestly, a few years back, I would have bet money that there was more chance of keeping Fielder long term than Braun. Braun seems more like a big-city type of person, where Fielder seems more low key.

But even so, I would imagine those last years of Braun will end up as a DH, so not with Milwaukee.

These will be Braun's age 31-36 seasons. Not really years I would want to pay much for.

I realize the Brewers aren't used to paying for players at that age unless they're role players, but for a big-time hitter like Braun, I don't see any reason to think his production will have some huge drop-off into his mid-30s.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Sure there is a large amount of risk involved, any long term contract has risks. The flip side for taking risks is reward. The potential reward for this contract is huge. To think this contract means Braun never makes over 19M/yr, is pretty amazing. In this case, I'm glad to take on the risk of this contract.

The other advantage is to continually show that we're not in a period were we're going to lose all the players we've put investment into. For the majority of the average fan base I think this will be really impressive news. From a player perspective too, we already know keeping Prince largely influenced Greinke in coming to Milwaukee, what's to say deals like Braun's, Yo's and Rickie's don't influence other player decisions about coming here as well?

. Now let's extend Marcum and Kotsay

Um.... What?

As someone else has said, this is ryan putting his money where his mouth is. As i told a friend today, THIS is why he will be beloved in the area long after he is gone. He is the player we(and every other small market team) dreams of having. Loyal to the team and town, and a great player.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I love this, and it's about the most fair thing the team can do. Right now, Braun is a giant bargain, and this does nothing to change that. What it does do is let him know how much he means to the franchise. When players say, "It's not about money," I know no one believes them. But, in some cases, I think they're at least trying to be honest. Sometimes it's the ego-boost of knowing what you're worth that these guys are after.

I don't know Braun, and I have no idea if he's like that. But that kind of commitment has to feel good. This is one of those no losers deals, I think. Braun's earned this. And we get to watch him play for a long time (knock on wood). Go Brewers management.

In today's day & age it is so rare for a player to stick his whole career with one team. He'll be 36 when this contact ends. He has effectively passed on free agency at any point in his prime, in order to remain a Milwaukee Brewer. Not only is this a big deal for the Brewers and the state of Wisconsin, but it is a huge you know what to the Yankees & Red Sox of the world and I love it

I am thrilled about this. Braun is my favorite player of all time

So happy about this deal. It is great for this organization. To have a player this committed hasn't happened since Robin Yount. It's great to see a player like Braun agreeing to stay here. I love it! It feels great to know that we have a player of this caliber locked down for basically the rest of his career. Braun is clearly the next Brewer lifer, and I couldn't be happier about it. This just makes me love Braun more than I already did. Great move on his part too. Maybe some more players will see the light now that he did this. I think this is set up so we can lock in Greinke and Marcum through 2015. Then after that, we have to hope some pitching prospects will pan out, and then we'll be good to go. Maybe Fielder should've done the same, but it would never happen with Boras. Too bad, but I love that we will have an all-star starter on our team for the next 10 years. Great day in Brewers history!
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

How can you be against this? I would guess that the Brewers secured some kind of injury insurance on the back end of the deal. At any rate, outside of injury, I don't see any risk of Braun significantly declining. Even in the unlikely occurrence that he loses his swing, I'll start worrying about things in about 4 years. Now let's hope that Sal Bando, Jr. doesn't let him walk in 2021 so he can get his ring with the Tokyo team or something.

I think Braun is a little more financially savvy than most players. He understands that what he's now guaranteed is an insanely large amount of money. Why risk playing the lottery and potentially gaining more money, but knowing that any day an injury can cause you to never get another dime?

I'm happy for Braun and the Brewers, and like that this will most likely send a message out to other players (including but not limited to Marcum & Grienke) that Milwaukee is a place to make a long-term home. I also feel for the Brewerfan.net editor who now has to extend the Salary page out to 2020 :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Excited that we get to have Ryan through at least 2020, and that he'll be a Brewer through the peak of his career. Have to say I'm concerned about what kind of player he'll be when he's 35 and there's two years left on the contract.

Props to Mark A for getting this one done though.

EDIT: Didn't see how much it was front-loaded. I'm interested if Braun or the club come ahead, taking into consideration the net present value of money vs. the deferred portion and interest that usually goes along with that.

This is awesome. To watch a Hall of Famer from the draft to the end of his career as a Brewer, I love it.

And watching the Phillies series I was thinking about how well Braun is playing and wondering when he'd start asking for more money than we extended him for. Nice to know that's settled.

Braun strikes me as the kind of person that would want to be the front and center franchise piece that wants to drive his home team to the World Series one day. I don't think the money matters much to him as long as he's getting at least ~75% of what top dollar would be, which is right about where I would place this contract. I have to think this makes Greinke super comfortable about signing, something I expect to happen next offseason if we go to the playoffs. He strikes me as having the same mentality.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Archived