Brewer Fanatic

New Power 50 is live

And That

I just added this to the overall comments section, and it might be a reason there was a bit of movement in the list:

Patrick stepped down as a Power 50 editor after taking the Managing Editor position at Perfect Game USA. So we've moved from four editors to three and individual opinions have a little bit more weight now.

I also just buzzed through and cleaned up some grammar.

What's keeping Halton off the list if I may ask? Seems odd that Katin at 28 would still be there and Halton who doesn't turn 24 until June and is just a level below (where he's raking so far) isn't. Halton got quite a few token appearances in big league camp too so he must be on Brewer radar.

What's keeping Halton off the list if I may ask? Seems odd that Katin at 28 would still be there and Halton who doesn't turn 24 until June and is just a level below (where he's raking so far) isn't. Halton got quite a few token appearances in big league camp too so he must be on Brewer radar.
Again, the season is only a few weeks old, and it's always difficult to judge a right-handed hitter whose only real non-Rookie ball experience came at BC last year, where he hit for no power. He could have been killed by Space Coast/the FSL, or he could just have limited power. In the absence of scouting reports, it's difficult to tell. Plus, he's a first baseman, so he has to hit a ton to be a real prospect, and he hasn't walked much.

That said, I have heard good things about Halton, and if he's still hitting well next month, he'll probably make his Power 50 debut.

Again, the season is only a few weeks old, and it's always difficult to judge a right-handed hitter whose only real non-Rookie ball experience came at BC last year, where he hit for no power. He could have been killed by Space Coast/the FSL, or he could just have limited power. In the absence of scouting reports, it's difficult to tell. Plus, he's a first baseman, so he has to hit a ton to be a real prospect, and he hasn't walked much.

That said, I have heard good things about Halton, and if he's still hitting well next month, he'll probably make his Power 50 debut.

Fair enough. But I think a good comparison for Halton offensively at this stage is Casey McGehee who didn't hit a ton of HR or walk a lot as a minor leaguer but he always drove in a pretty fair number of runs.. Halton hasn't hit a lot of HR, but still drives in runs and hits for average. At 6'5" 240, you'd think, just like Casey, that he'll learn to turn on a few more as he matures. One overlooked stat in my book is ratio of RBI to HR. McGehee stood out in this category and so does Halton. I know this goes against current money ball theory, but some guys have a knack of being able to hit with men on and they do it year after year.

*sigh* At least the comments were entertaining. There are just so few impact players in the system... mid rotation arm, mid rotation arm, mid rotation/bullpen arm. As much as I've always liked Rogers and Braddock, with the velocity issues both are experiencing I'm concerned, not to mention Mark still doesn't throw enough strikes. The only hitter in the top 10 who intrigues me quite a bit is Gennett. The other position players profile more as average MLB/backup types and while I like them all I'm not going to sit here and claim they have a legit chance to be 4 WAR MLB players.

I'll feel better about Perez once he has TJ surgery like all our latin pitchers seem too. There are lots of intriguing pitchers lower in the system, but they all have a long way to go to prove something.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm guessing Peralta at #1
DING,DING,DING!

Ok, so it wasn't a HUGE prediction, but I have to toot my own horn a little, since I'm wrong so very, very, very often... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived