McClendon recalled; Marcum to bereavement list

PrinceEatMeat

From the injury thread…

SoCal Brew Crew Fan wrote:
Per twitter...

http://twitter.com/Brewercom

RHP Mike McClendon was recalled from @nashvillesounds today, RHP Shaun

Marcum, placed on bereavement list (father's heart surgery) #Brewers

Thoughts & prayers to Shaun Marcum on this...hope all goes well.

From a baseball standpoint, it could give us an extra arm and I would

imagine Marcum could possibly return for his next start on Sunday.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I really wonder if teams will start abusing the bereavement list. Not saying Marcum shouldn't be with his father or this isn't a good use of the list, just the reason there are minimums on DLs and option stays is so teams don't play games with starters between starts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Since you still need a reason for bereavement (which thankfully doesn't happen often), I doubt it will be abused. When SPs go on the list for having to flush the family goldfish... well...

So why didn't they just activate Hawkins? He is in Philly now. Or is there another move on the way?

They said they don't want Hawkins to pitch until Wednesday because he was coming off back-to-back days pitching. If we have to use a lot of arms tonight, I would guess he'll get activated for the game tomorrow. Seems like they want to wait until Friday though.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Since you still need a reason for bereavement (which thankfully doesn't happen often), I doubt it will be abused. When SPs go on the list for having to flush the family goldfish... well...

So why didn't they just activate Hawkins? He is in Philly now. Or is there another move on the way?

Hawkins pitched back to back days for the first time (Sat & Sun) so they wanted to give him at least 2 days off. He won't be activated until before tomorrow's day game, at the earliest and possibly not til Friday

I really don't think teams ever fake stays on the bereavement list. Doubt it will ever be a problem.

The Brewers just did. I doubt their use of the rule was entirely as it was intended. The definition of bereavement is "the period after loss during which grief is experienced and mourning occurs". His father is having surgery. That's quite different. MLB should call it then "family medical leave" instead of bereavement.

Seriously, Marcum wasn't scheduled to start again until Saturday or Sunday, depending upon whether Estrada gets another start. He could easily have traveled between starts to be with his dad without being taken off the roster and probably had permission to do so. Because the Brewers needed an extra arm and Hawkins was a day or two away yet, they freed one up this way. Technically within the rule I suppose but definitely stretching it.

I really don't think teams ever fake stays on the bereavement list. Doubt it will ever be a problem.

The Brewers just did. I doubt their use of the rule was entirely as it was intended.

They did not do anything wrong and their use of the rule was as intended.

The bereavement list is for family emergencies (ex: serious illness) or death.

The Brewers just did. I doubt their use of the rule was entirely as it was intended. The definition of bereavement is "the period after loss during which grief is experienced and mourning occurs". His father is having surgery. That's quite different. MLB should call it then "family medical leave" instead of bereavement.

Seriously, Marcum wasn't scheduled to start again until Saturday or Sunday, depending upon whether Estrada gets another start. He could easily have traveled between starts to be with his dad without being taken off the roster and probably had permission to do so. Because the Brewers needed an extra arm and Hawkins was a day or two away yet, they freed one up this way. Technically within the rule I suppose but definitely stretching it.

No they didn't. It doesn't matter what the definition is. It is also intended for leave under these circumstances. So no, the Brewers didn't fake anything. They used the rule as it is intended.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'll agree that because the rule covers situations outside actual bereavement, it could be given a more appropriate name. I don't think that it'd be practical for the anticipated use of the player (e.g. starting pitcher vs. another position) to have anything to do with how the rule is applied, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

My heart goes out to the Marcum family, best of luck to them.

On another note, I can't help but wonder why they so highly regard Wil Nieves. Why not just go with 13 pitchers for a while until they get some rest and Hart returns? Further delaying the inevitable here.

I would support renaming it to something that encompasses more than death. But it does not sound like the Brewers are acting out of line.

Honestly, if I were the elder Marcum and my son said, "don't worry, I'll be there, the Brewers put me on the bereavement list," I'd be wondering what "they" know that I don't know.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived