Brewer Fanatic

The Bring Brandon Boggs to the Majors Thread

PrinceEatMeat
I am not sure they would carry 6 outfielders(and I use that term very loosely for Kotsay) especially when 2 of them(hart/Braun) are likely to start almost every game.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boggs being ahead of Almonte doesn't solve the problem as both Hart & Morgan are on the DL. It is no doubt that Almonte will be gone as soon as they get back but also unfortunately Boggs will as well, and they will almost for sure keep Kotsay as the 5th OF, over Boggs. This would be a huge mistake, as Ennder has already put so succinctly
If Boggs and Almonte are both gone, then who takes the last bench spot? We have to keep one, and it will be Boggs.
Well they would have to go down to a 12 man staff to keep Boggs. Not sure if that happens or not. Someone smarter than I can comment.

The bench will be: Counsell, Kotsay, Morgan, Nieves unless they cut it down to a 12 man staff.

Boggs being ahead of Almonte doesn't solve the problem as both Hart & Morgan are on the DL. It is no doubt that Almonte will be gone as soon as they get back but also unfortunately Boggs will as well, and they will almost for sure keep Kotsay as the 5th OF, over Boggs. This would be a huge mistake, as Ennder has already put so succinctly
If Boggs and Almonte are both gone, then who takes the last bench spot? We have to keep one, and it will be Boggs.
When both Morgan & Hart return, who are the 2 players that will leave to make room for them?
Kintzler and Almonte. We currently have a 13 man pitching staff, which we don't need.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Well they would have to go down to a 12 man staff to keep Boggs. Not sure if that happens or not. Someone smarter than I can comment.

The bench will be: Counsell, Kotsay, Morgan, Nieves unless they cut it down to a 12 man staff.

Why wouldn't they go back to a 12 man staff? They had one all year until Friday. We don't need an 8-man bullpen. The only reason we carried an extra pitcher is because Mitre was day-to-day, and we knew that Hart would be back in a few days anyway. Plus, we need a right-handed hitter on the bench other than our backup catcher.

I am not sure they would carry 6 outfielders(and I use that term very loosely for Kotsay) especially when 2 of them(hart/Braun) are likely to start almost every game.
Who else would get the spot then? Almonte is useless, and Kotsay won't even have to play the outfield anymore. There's no infielder to take the spot.

I would say it's almost guaranteed that they go back to a 12 man staff, 5 man bench once Morgan is healthy. Like others said, the only reason they have 13 pitchers now is because some pitchers were unavailable and Hart was coming back soon. Keeping a 4 man bench with Morgan back would leave Nieves, Counsell, Morgan/Gomez, and Kotsay on the bench. Nieves is the only backup catcher so he is basically useless as a PH (some would argue he's useless everywhere else as well). That leaves essentially 3 on the bench.

There's really no reason to keep 13 pitchers, especially when Greinke comes back, because most of our starters can go deeper into games. It would be nice to have another backup IF on the bench but since there's really nobody worthy to call up, I would say Boggs ends up staying and Almonte goes down. I don't know whether that happens sooner (when Hart comes back) or later (when Morgan comes back) but I would almost guarantee that's how it plays out.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I thin Kintzler will go when Hart comes back, because we always seem to avoid decisions until the latest possible time. That decision being between Boggs and Almonte, but more likely to DFA Almonte. I think we'll DFA Almonte when Morgan comes back. Unless we can somehow trade for a right-handed hitting backup infielder, I think Boggs is safe.

OK, that makes sense that they would go to a 12 man staff. I suppose it depends on how well Boggs hits in the meantime. Which is silly to put so much on such a small sample but that seems to be the way that Melvin works. I know they like Almonte because they view him as a guy who can play 1B & 3B if needed and they might be hesitant to have Counsell as the only backup infielder, although Kotsay can play 1B as well

OK, that makes sense that they would go to a 12 man staff. I suppose it depends on how well Boggs hits in the meantime. Which is silly to put so much on such a small sample but that seems to be the way that Melvin works. I know they like Almonte because they view him as a guy who can play 1B & 3B if needed and they might be hesitant to have Counsell as the only backup infielder, although Kotsay can play 1B as well
Truly, we don't need another backup outfielder. The only time we'd ever need it is if 2 of our infielders got hurt in the same game. After that we could just call up an infielder. If say Weeks and Betancourt were both hurt during a game, we could simply move McGehee to 2nd, put Counsell at SS, and Braun could come in to play 3B. It would only be for a few innings most likely anyway, and the next day we'd just call someone up.

If say Weeks and Betancourt were both hurt during a game, we could simply move McGehee to 2nd, put Counsell at SS, and Braun could come in to play 3B. It would only be for a few innings most likely anyway, and the next day we'd just call someone up.
that lack of infield depth frightens me, especially when it's in the form of a player as old as counsell. i'd really like a lopsided game soon where almonte gets in at short or third in the later innings, just to see how he fares out there.

Archived