Brewer Fanatic

The Bring Brandon Boggs to the Majors Thread

PrinceEatMeat
that's a very fair point. I'm glad he's in milwaukee, I think it's the right move. I'm just saying that people should wait for more than a 1 at bat sample size (or 4) before they jump all over melvin or RRR.
Since you hvae spent some time around here you should know that most posters are not posting stuff based on just a few games.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally agree with you. Kotsay really doesn't bring anything to the table. He doesn't have any power, and can't field. With the role Kotsay will be playing once Hart comes back, we could use some power and definitely good fielding. He has neither, and Boggs has both. That means Boggs is the better option for that role. And as for Boggs staying when Morgan comes back, I think he will stay. He doesn't have any options left, and Almonte has done nothing to secure his spot. For that reason, I think Almonte will be on his way out.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I know Kotsay isn't great but since the Chicago series he is hitting .300 with 6 walks and 3 K's. His power is non-existent but he is not the blackhole in the lineup people are acting like he is. I like giving Boggs more starts but I get tired of people acting like Kotsay cant do anything offensively. His OPS is better so far this year Chris Young, Prado, Carlos Lee, Ludwick, Werth, Marlon Byrd, etc. So yes he is not very good but he is not the worst RF ever. He is better than Almonte right now

I know Kotsay isn't great but since the Chicago series he is hitting .300 with 6 walks and 3 K's. His power is non-existent but he is not the blackhole in the lineup people are acting like he is. I like giving Boggs more starts but I get tired of people acting like Kotsay cant do anything offensively. His OPS is better so far this year Chris Young, Prado, Carlos Lee, Ludwick, Werth, Marlon Byrd, etc. So yes he is not very good but he is not the worst RF ever. He is better than Almonte right now

A few singles finding holes does not make a good player, he really is just terrible. Even while he is hot with balls finding holes he has put up negative WAR. He his Craig Counsell in the OF without the good defense more or less. If Morgan or Boggs don't end up on the roster because of Kotsay it is just poor roster management long term.

Kotsay's 7 walks in 42 AB would be more impressive if 3 weren't intentional. The .388 OBP so far has been nice and better than expected, but he hasn't done much over the past few years to make many of us feel good about the odds of that continuing.

Boggs has more power, is better and more versatile defensively, and can switch-hit. I never understood keeping Reed and Almonte on the Opening Day roster over him because he provides just about everything you can ask for a reserve outfielder.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah I agree. Boggs is really the prototypical backup outfielder. Kotsay really isn't. And now that he'll fall into more of a strict pinch-hitting role, I think he will do a lot worse. I really don't see him getting any starts once Hart is back. If Hart needs a day off Morgan or Boggs would get the nod because of better fielding. That is why I still don't get why Boggs wasn't kept over Reed and Almonte. I really would've liked to have seen Boggs in RF vs LHP for the month that Hart was out. It's too bad that he didn't get that chance. Kotsay really isn't good at anything, and I think his numbers will plummet when he moves to a strict bench role. We need to keep the guys that can succeed in that role, and I doubt Kotsay can.

I really don't see [Kotsay] getting any starts once Hart is back. If Hart needs a day off Morgan or Boggs would get the nod because of better fielding.

You overestimate Roenicke. I think Kotsay will continue to be ahead of Boggs on the depth chart, but I hope to be proven wrong. Heck, I also think there's a decent chance Kotsay will still be ahead of Morgan, in terms of backing up the corner spots & pinch hitting. In reality, Kotsay & Almonte should be released. Not sure what will happen in the Roenicke reality, though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I like Brandon Boggs and I think he can be effective as a backup outfielder. And I agree that he should have been on the roster instead of Almonte (or Reed) from the start, although that is very easy to say in hindsight. I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate here. He's 1 for 7 with a solo homerun right now, exactly where Erick Almonte was 3 games into his brewer career. A few 0fers and/or bad pinch hits away from being a pretty similar player (with better defense, i understand that). I think it's a little bold to come out and say so definitively that brandon boggs is clearly THAT much superior to a guy like Kotsay based on 1 homerun. I'm not saying Boggs isn't any good and he's going to be the same as Almonte....just saying give it a few games. I hope we're back here next weekend and everyone is calling me out for these posts because Boggs has been great. Lord knows the brewers' bench needs it.

As a side note, I think that Kotsay can be an effective bench player, at least as a pinch hitter. If he's our 5th OFer (after Hart and Morgan are healthy), pinch hitting is pretty much his role. And while he lacks power, he's a guy who's been around, takes a lot of pitches and makes contact. Take out his intentional walks and he's still getting on base at a .330 clip. Not great, but I'm OK with that off the bench. I guess that sounds a little bit like a Craig Counsell clone, and Boggs is a switch hitter...but this little side note wasn't to compare the two, just to say that I'd be OK with Kotsay as the 5th OF/a pinch hit option. because he's getting paid and it's probably going to happen.

Kotsay is what he is as the 5th OF/PH. It's just nice to have a guy in that role that can hit for some power. Kotsay has no power at all, and Boggs does. They will both likely be on the roster, which is fine. But we all know Kotsay will get AB's over Boggs, which in some situations is stupid. If we ever have a situation where we need some pop, Kotsay should never get the AB. It would be nice to have another backup IF to replace Kotsay on the roster, so we could keep Morgan and Boggs as the only backup OFs. We don't have that though, and probably won't. So, we'll have to deal with Kotsay. Hopefully he does excel in his role, because we do need it.

This has nothing at all to do with what Boggs has done so far so stop bringing that up one way or the other. Kotsay has proven over the past 4 years that he has no pop, he is mediocre at best at BB rate and he can't play defense. Nothing about this has changed this season so there is no reason to expect a difference. Boggs can play defense, can run the bases and has at least a small amount of pop in his bat, this isn't a poor Kotsay we misunderstand him moment, this is a Kotsay is getting unfair playtime because hewas good 8 years ago moment. There is no reason he should have ever made the roster and the longer they keep him around the more they compound the error.

Anyone how has followed my posting career knows I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the manager and look for the best in a player but the choice to keep Kotsay on the roster is so horrible that even I can't forgive it, the longer we keep up the facade that he is a major league player the more marginal wins we lose and the less likely we are to make the playoffs.

This has nothing at all to do with what Boggs has done so far so stop bringing that up one way or the other. Kotsay has proven over the past 4 years that he has no pop, he is mediocre at best at BB rate and he can't play defense. Nothing about this has changed this season so there is no reason to expect a difference. Boggs can play defense, can run the bases and has at least a small amount of pop in his bat, this isn't a poor Kotsay we misunderstand him moment, this is a Kotsay is getting unfair playtime because he is was good 8 years ago moment. There is no reason he should have ever made the roster and the longer they keep him around the more they compound the error.
Well said. Completely agree. Not much more needs to be said in this argument than that.

Boggs starting last night at least tells me that he, at least, might be ahead of Almonte on the roster now. I for one will take solace in that for now.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Boggs starting last night at least tells me that he, at least, might be ahead of Almonte on the roster now. I for one will take solace in that for now.
Yeah, I think he has. And that's good, because he'll be more valuable as our right-handed pinch-hitter, and as a defensive replacement if needed. Morgan will get starts in CF and RF, and Kotsay will likely be our top pinch-hitter. I hate that Kotsay will get AB's over likely everyone late in games off the bench, but it is what it is. I just hope Kotsay doesn't get starts over Morgan.

It wouldn't take much of anything to move ahead of Almonte right now. It shouldn't at least. He's batting about .100, has had some very poor at bats and is a very big liability in the outfield.

That being said, we'll see who goes down when Hart returns here. Hopefully in the next day or two.

It wouldn't take much of anything to move ahead of Almonte right now. It shouldn't at least. He's batting about .100, has had some very poor at bats and is a very big liability in the outfield.

That being said, we'll see who goes down when Hart returns here. Hopefully in the next day or two.

A pitcher will go down. We're playing short on the bench. We won't know anything until Morgan is activated in a week.

Kotsay must go.. that is simple. What's more confusing is the pitching situation. We have Grienke, Parra, and Saito to bring back, still. And i am having trouble figuring out which pitchers go down or get cut to make room for them.. especially when we are apparently losing one as a result of Morgan coming back.

Boggs being ahead of Almonte doesn't solve the problem as both Hart & Morgan are on the DL. It is no doubt that Almonte will be gone as soon as they get back but also unfortunately Boggs will as well, and they will almost for sure keep Kotsay as the 5th OF, over Boggs. This would be a huge mistake, as Ennder has already put so succinctly

Boggs being ahead of Almonte doesn't solve the problem as both Hart & Morgan are on the DL. It is no doubt that Almonte will be gone as soon as they get back but also unfortunately Boggs will as well, and they will almost for sure keep Kotsay as the 5th OF, over Boggs. This would be a huge mistake, as Ennder has already put so succinctly
If Boggs and Almonte are both gone, then who takes the last bench spot? We have to keep one, and it will be Boggs.

If Boggs and Almonte are both gone, then who takes the last bench spot? We have to keep one, and it will be Boggs.
When both Morgan & Hart return, who are the 2 players that will leave to make room for them?

Archived