Brewer Fanatic

The Bring Brandon Boggs to the Majors Thread

PrinceEatMeat
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They needed to make room for Marcum. That's why he was sent down.

If they do that I'm going to scream. Because its going to further shorten the bench and who knows the status of Morgan. So you're left with a bench that consists of Almonte/Kotsay and Counsell.

Boggs up still leaves 12 bench players and 13 pitchers...do they stick with that till Hart comes back, or is do we have another move coming I wonder?

Kintzler would certainly go down if another position player was brought up, but I don't know who that would be.

Boggs up still leaves 12 bench players and 13 pitchers...do they stick with that till Hart comes back, or is do we have another move coming I wonder?

Kintzler would certainly go down if another position player was brought up, but I don't know who that would be.

It's only 3-6 games until Hart comes back, so they'll probably just keep a short bench until then. He might come back during the Reds series. At that point, I'd guess Kintzler goes down.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Have to wonder what took so long with Morgan's situation. I like the Boggs call up though.
I think it was just a case where they were hoping it was an injury that would heal faster. Roenicke seemed to think it was. Then it just didn't heal the way they wanted, so they'll up Boggs for the extra bat. Morgan will be able to be activated by April 30 anyway, so it's not that bad.

It's only 3-6 games until Hart comes back, so they'll probably just keep a short bench until then. He might come back during the Reds series. At that point, I'd guess Kintzler goes down.
Yes its 3-6 games for no discernable reason. And the Brewers have no power threat on the bench now.

They needed to make room for Marcum. That's why he was sent down.

If they do that I'm going to scream. Because its going to further shorten the bench and who knows the status of Morgan. So you're left with a bench that consists of Almonte/Kotsay and Counsell.

Sadly, 2 moves for 2 players: Hawkins + Marcum for McClendon and Kottaras. Although now it appears as though Boggs for Morgan is happening as well.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Yes its 3-6 games for no discernable reason. And the Brewers have no power threat on the bench now.
I never really considered Kottaras a true power bat, but basically we were stuck that way so far anyway. If we want a power threat on the bench, we'll have to look elsewhere. Boggs is just as much of a power threat as Kottaras in my opinion.

If the Brewers want more power off the bench, all they have to do is DFA Erick Almonte and purchase Brendan Katin's contract.
True, but I'd want legit, proven power. There's no guarantee that Katin would succeed in the majors. I'd rather have Branyan or Stairs personally. Guys who have proven they can hit for power off the bench.

If the Brewers want more power off the bench, all they have to do is DFA Erick Almonte and purchase Brendan Katin's contract.
True, but I'd want legit, proven power. There's no guarantee that Katin would succeed in the majors. I'd rather have Branyan or Stairs personally. Guys who have proven they can hit for power off the bench.

Well they are on other teams. I have no idea how Katin would end up performing if called up for a bench role, but a bench like this looks to at least have more potential and flexibility even though it won't happen.

Dump Almonte and Kotsay. Call up Katin and Boggs.

Counsell/Morgan/Katin/Boggs. Both Counsell and Morgan hit lefthanded. Boggs is a switch hitter and Katin bats righthanded. Much more flexibility pinch hitting wise instead of being so lefthanded. Katin could end up performing poorly in an almost entirely pinch hitting role, but he at least offers the ability of power off the bench late in games which Kotsay lacks and we still would have other lefthanded bats on the bench between Morgan, Boggs, and Counsell to cover for the lefthanded bat of Kotsay being gone.

Dump Almonte and Kotsay. Call up Katin and Boggs.
I agree. You get late in the game, and nobody on the Brewers bench even remotely scares anyone. I would do this today, and maybe at some point this season you can bring Gamel up. But he needs his ABs now. They tried to catch lightning ina bottle with Almonte, and it didn't work. I don't even have a big problem with giving him a chance after how he performed in spring, but the time has come to move on.

My problem with Almonte isn't at the plate. Yeah he isn't good but most pinch hitters stink. It's that they keep trotting him out to play the field. Neither Kotasy or Almonte should see the field unless its an emergency and if you play them in the field either your bench is configured wrong or your manager is making a mistake.

I don't think Katin will ever get a call up with the Brewers (except in September). It just seems like they don't see him as a real option for the big league club, which is too bad I guess. I'd rather have him on the bench than Almonte, at least.

Since we already know he's a solid defender, there's literally no way he could be worse than Almonte. The only thing Almonte did was trick RRR into thinking he could hit in ST this year.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

that was in his fourth at bat, so both of those posts above are incorrect. just saying.

and i mentioned this in the IGT as well, but Almonte hit a HR in his 3rd or 4th at bat this year. I think Boggs is a better player, so i don't think he'll be following in Almonte's .107/.107/.214 footsteps....but it was just 1 at bat. give it some time before everyone goes crazy about what a joke it is he wasn't up all year/isn't getting playing time right now (I'm predicting the IGT tomorrow after Kotsay is put in the lineup).

that's a very fair point. I'm glad he's in milwaukee, I think it's the right move. I'm just saying that people should wait for more than a 1 at bat sample size (or 4) before they jump all over melvin or RRR.

that was in his fourth at bat, so both of those posts above are incorrect. just saying.

and i mentioned this in the IGT as well, but Almonte hit a HR in his 3rd or 4th at bat this year. I think Boggs is a better player, so i don't think he'll be following in Almonte's .107/.107/.214 footsteps....but it was just 1 at bat. give it some time before everyone goes crazy about what a joke it is he wasn't up all year/isn't getting playing time right now (I'm predicting the IGT tomorrow after Kotsay is put in the lineup).

Well it is a joke they kept Reed who has constantly proven he isn't a player over Boggs and Kotsay can't play RF so playing him over Boggs isn't a good move.

Archived