Brewer Fanatic

The Bring Brandon Boggs to the Majors Thread

PrinceEatMeat

When we had lengthy discussions during Spring Training regarding the last few guys on the bench, I assumed we would be able to forget about it once the season started. Then Hart's injury went from missing a week of ST to missing over a month of the season, and here we are still talking about it. The reasoning for keeping Reed as a 3rd string CF over Boggs seems to have no valid logic behind it. As it became reality that Hart would have to at least miss some of the season, it should have become clear that we needed a RH bat much more than another bad LH bat on the bench, but yet we still clung to Reed and Kotsay at the expense of Boggs.

With the decision made that Counsell, Kotsay and Reed were making the team, we needed a RH bat on the bench. Since we already had a full allotment of OF on the roster, Boggs was the odd man out. As joepepsi stated, Almonte was used as an IF this spring, so the race was between Cruz and Almonte. Since Cruz's bat couldn't really be counted on to be the primary RH bat off the bench, Almonte got the spot.

Our bench (and RF while Hart's out) would've been much better if we hadn't decided that we needed Kotsay and Reed on the team. Even if we make the assumption that Kotsay was a lock to make the roster, it seems very clear now (as it probably should have during ST) that it would have been much better to hold on to Boggs and Cruz over Reed and Kotsay/Almonte.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reasoning for keeping Reed as a 3rd string CF over Boggs seems to have no valid logic behind it.

Sadly, it was the same flawed logic that led to Suppan being kept on the opening day 25-man roster last season -- the better talent was able to be sent to the minor leagues, so it was. Nevermind that it hurt the team, this way we kept all the players! Oh yeah, except for Cruz. Whoops.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

But at least with Suppan we all knew it was that he was being paid a lot of money and the Brewers wanted to try to get some return for that money. It may not be the best way to run a roster, but at least on some level I can understand why they did it.

I can't think of any reason for holding on to Reed other than a good spring, which all of his competition had as well. He has a terrible track record, he hits LH, we already had two better CFs on the roster and keeping him (and Kotsay) meant losing Boggs and Cruz.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

And who is to say Boggs doesn't go the road of Reed and have a terrible 0-fer spell the way Reed did or the way Almonte has been going?

Kotsay has been getting a lot of crap, but at least he's been hitting somewhat in his role. Can't say the same for a lot of others, Counsell included. Morgan has been the most effective bench player so far, but arguments will start as soon as he and Hart are healthy as to whether he should remain a "bench" player.

The reasoning for keeping Reed as a 3rd string CF over Boggs seems to have no valid logic behind it.

Sadly, it was the same flawed logic that led to Suppan being kept on the opening day 25-man roster last season -- the better talent was able to be sent to the minor leagues, so it was. Nevermind that it hurt the team, this way we kept all the players! Oh yeah, except for Cruz. Whoops.

No Boggs had to pass through waivers and could have become a FA. This was all based on Reed being a spring training hero for the 3rd season in a row.

I guess none of us know for sure if Boggs would be hitting better than Almonte or Kotsay, but I think we all know he would be playing better defense. And that would be pretty valuable with how bad Almonte and Kotsay are in RF.

When Hart comes back my starting OF would be Braun, Morgan and Hart. My bench would be Boggs and Gomez. I would trash Kotsay and Almonte. But I know they won't let Kotsay go.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I guess none of us know for sure if Boggs would be hitting better than Almonte or Kotsay, but I think we all know he would be playing better defense. And that would be pretty valuable with how bad Almonte and Kotsay are in RF.
Exactly, that and the fact that he is a switch-hitter is enough for me.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Kotsay has been getting a lot of crap, but at least he's been hitting somewhat in his role.
.250/.333/.292 is hitting?
He's the master of the 4-3 ground-out, but compared to most of our other bench players, he's pounding the ball. Some people still try to make it seem like he's been using his bat as a cane, though.

As some (mostly Russ, I think?) have said, this is a pretty good team that could be really good by plugging in some holes with decent back-ups, or even starters with some sort of value to the team to replace roster junk (Mark Kotsay, I'm looking at you).

There's no good reason Kotsay and Almonte should be on this team ahead of Boggs. If he's blocked at the position by Hart, give him a chance to prove some value as a future trade bait. At the very least, he gives you an actual chance to get on base or knock an XBH with a pinch-hit opportunity. Kotsay and Almonte are rapidly confirming their recent norms (Almonte in the minors, Kotsay is complete junk).

Not that it's worth anything, but I just saw Fangraphs updated their UZR ratings. Here are the two week scores for our outfielders:

Morgan: +4.5

Gomez: +3.5

Almonte: -0.8

Kotsay: -2.7

Braun: -2.9

How is Boggs supposed to be in the outfield? I suppose he can't be worse than Kotsay, right?

How is Boggs supposed to be in the outfield? I suppose he can't be worse than Kotsay, right?

It seems like every time I look at a Link Report (trademark http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif) Boggs has an outfield assist. He is also quite a bit faster than Kotsay so I'd guess that he would be a welcome upgrade.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Realistically, I think Gomez will still get a lot of starts in CF. I hope they go with a fairly strict platoon of Morgan/Gomez, but if Roenicke is going to play Kotsay over Morgan on a regular basis, I have to assume he's going to give Gomez a lot of starts over Morgan in CF.

As for the final spot, it will likely be between Almonte and Nieves/Kottaras. They still haven't announced who will win the battle for the backup catcher position. I certainly hope they don't keep three catchers, and I hope it's Nieves who gets sent packing. Almonte can't be winning many friends with his play so far, but we really don't have anyone else to call up, and he's a better bench option than Nieves. Other than DH duty, I think Gamel's going to be at 1B in Nashville unless McGehee or Fielder gets hurt. Maybe after Farris gets some experience at SS, or Wheeler gets healthy, they'll be options.

On a related note, I hope Counsell's just off to a slow start, and will heat up. If his age has finally caught up with him, then I think we need to bring another utility IF up, and we don't have many options. I certainly don't want to see many games with Almonte trotted out as a 3B/2B, even if he did play there this spring.

To the topic of the thread, I'd like to see Boggs brought up to replace Kotsay, but I don't see it happening. Once Hart's back, we won't have any need for another OF.

~Bill Walsh

So when Hart is back, what does the bench REALISTICALLY look like?

OF: Gomez, Kotsay

IF: Counsell

C: Kottaras

I see room for one more guy. Are we assuming it will be Almonte or Nieves? Anyone heard anything to the contrary?

i would like to see Katin, but that's REALLY wishful thinking.

Yea, Almonte looks really overmatched at the plate. Who knows if Boggs would have got a hit in that spot today, but i'd at least have had some sliver of hope vs Madson.

Plus, once Hart comes back, if Almonte is sent down, we won't have a single righthanded bat on the bench to pinch hit, which is another reason to just DFA Almonte/Neives and add Hart/Boggs given that Boggs is a switch hitter.

Yea, Almonte looks really overmatched at the plate. Who knows if Boggs would have got a hit in that spot today, but i'd at least have had some sliver of hope vs Madson.

Plus, once Hart comes back, if Almonte is sent down, we won't have a single righthanded bat on the bench to pinch hit, which is another reason to just DFA Almonte/Neives and add Hart/Boggs given that Boggs is a switch hitter.

No doubt, totally agree with you. Almonte/Nieves bring nothing to the team. At least Boggs brings something. He can defend and switch-hit, and he won't be a worse hitter than Almonte/Nieves.

I like Boggs and wanted him to be on the team in ST, but that was before Nyjer was acquired. Because Kotsay isn't going anywhere, Boggs would be the 6th OF and I still need someone to explain to me why having a 6th OF as that last man on the roster makes sense. Realistically, Boggs doesn't come up unless Kotsay is released or retires. I know I'll get killed for this but I would rather have 3 catchers and keep Nieves than Almonte on the roster if it means Kottaras is kept and is available to pinch hit more often.

As for what I would like to see happen; well I will get killed for this as well, but I would like to see the Brewers claim Brandon Wood and just maybe catch lightning in a bottle with the former top prospect. DFA Nieves and Almonte and roll with a bench of:

OF: Kotsay, Gomez/Morgan

IF: Counsell, Wood

To me, it just makes no sense to have either Boggs or Almonte on the roster once Hart returns. We need another utility IF and I would rather have a Wood, who just maybe could put it together, than a 6th OF in Boggs or Almonte. Either way a Wood or Boggs/Almonte will see minimal playing time. Just my thoughts...

I like Boggs and wanted him to be on the team in ST, but that was before Nyjer was acquired. Because Kotsay isn't going anywhere, Boggs would be the 6th OF and I still need someone to explain to me why having a 6th OF as that last man on the roster makes sense. Realistically, Boggs doesn't come up unless Kotsay is released or retires. I know I'll get killed for this but I would rather have 3 catchers and keep Nieves than Almonte on the roster if it means Kottaras is kept and is available to pinch hit more often.

As for what I would like to see happen; well I will get killed for this as well, but I would like to see the Brewers claim Brandon Wood and just maybe catch lightning in a bottle with the former top prospect. DFA Nieves and Almonte and roll with a bench of:

To me, it just makes no sense to have either Boggs or Almonte on the roster once Hart returns. We need another utility IF and I would rather have a Wood, who just maybe could put it together, than a 6th OF in Boggs or Almonte. Either way a Wood or Boggs/Almonte will see minimal playing time. Just my thoughts...

Regardless of how Melvin does it once Hart gets back, we'll need to have at least one righthanded hitter on the bench and that guy shouldn't be either of Almonte or Nieves. We can't have a situation where if say Hart is brought up and Almonte sent down, then the only righthanded stick on the bench to pinch hit is Nieves because he literally is one of the worst if not the worst hitters in all of baseball.

There are going to be a fair number of times late in close games where a good lefty pitcher is on the mound and we'll have to put a pinch hitter in the game. Plush, Kotsay, and Counsell are terrible vs lefthanders. Almonte looks overmatched vs major league pitching. Nieves has spent his whole career sucking regardless of what hand a pitcher throws with.

Ideally i agree with you. Hart replaces Almonte on the roster and a righthanded backup infielder with some ability to hit replaces Nieves. Also ideally, Boggs replaces Kotsay, but that won't happen because Doug for whatever reason likes Kotsay. So unless Melvin can find a righthanded backup infielder, i'd prefer Hart replacing Almonte and Boggs replacing Nieves because we don't really need Kottaras as a pinch hitter given all the other lefties on the bench. Boggs would basically have little role except to pinch hit, but he's at least a switch hitter and he can't be worse than Almonte or Nieves.

Regardless of how Melvin does it once Hart gets back, we'll need to have at least one righthanded hitter on the bench and that guy shouldn't be either of Almonte or Nieves. We can't have a situation where if say Hart is brought up and Almonte sent down, then the only righthanded stick on the bench to pinch hit is Nieves because he literally is one of the worst if not the worst hitters in all of baseball.

There are going to be a fair number of times late in close games where a good lefty pitcher is on the mound and we'll have to put a pinch hitter in the game. Plush, Kotsay, and Counsell are terrible vs lefthanders. Almonte looks overmatched vs major league pitching. Nieves has spent his whole career sucking regardless of what hand a pitcher throws with.

Ideally i agree with you. Hart replaces Almonte on the roster and a righthanded backup infielder with some ability to hit replaces Nieves. Also ideally, Boggs replaces Kotsay, but that won't happen because Doug for whatever reason likes Kotsay. So unless Melvin can find a righthanded backup infielder, i'd prefer Hart replacing Almonte and Boggs replacing Nieves because we don't really need Kottaras as a pinch hitter given all the other lefties on the bench. Boggs would basically have little role except to pinch hit, but he's at least a switch hitter and he can't be worse than Almonte or Nieves.

Agree with everything you just said. As I said earlier in this thread, it's all about those pinch-hit ab's late in game. We need a right-handed pinch-hitter, and it shouldn't be Almonte or Nieves. That leaves Boggs as the next best candidate. Brandon Wood sucks too, so I think Boggs is the best option. Unless we can somehow trade for a right-handed infielder who can hit decently.

.250/.333/.292 is hitting?

Hence the word "somewhat". It's better than what Gomez, Betancourt, Counsell, and Almonte have brought so far (not to dig on Craig who isn't expected to be a big hitter and hasn't gotten nearly as many PA).

In the perfect world, I would have rather had Boggs and Cruz over Almonte and Reed, and in an even more perfect world, I would have liked to see Kotsay get the boot when Hart got back.

I think the organization has learned their lesson with the first 2, but unfortunately, I think we're stuck with Kotsay. It isn't a Brewers team without a gritty veteran to play way more than he should be.

It isn't a Brewers team without a gritty veteran to play way more than he should be.
And that should be Craig Counsell starting at SS just as much as his 40 something year old body can withstand until we can trade for a real starting MLB SS

Archived